Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Simple, silly M248 Question...  (Read 5471 times)

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Simple, silly M248 Question...
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2005, 10:33:17 AM »
it also depends on the what microphone we are talking about...

the easiest way to find out is to listen to them both, as Tim already mentioned.

I don't know, to me, this is the better, but more involved way.  To make accurate judgements, I'd want to listen to at least a couple of different environments (separate shows) using both the mic rolloff and the preamp rolloff.  So you'd probably turn at least a couple of your show recordings into experiments.  Better way of finding out exactly what you like, but not as easy as looking up some specs.

In general, I'd say for our purposes, you want a rolloff point somewhere in the 50-100Hz range.  Maybe as much as 125hz, but if you get up into the 200+hz range, it is going to be too severe.  As to rolloff slope, -6db per octave is best.  This might well lead you to use the preamp since mics often have rolloff slopes of -12db per octave or even -18db per octave.  I don't know about the m248, but I find it unlikely that Doug would have designed taping gear with such severe rolloff slopes.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Simple, silly M248 Question...
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2005, 11:40:37 AM »
yep, the rolloff on the u89s sounded great... the rolloff on the 391's is pretty wretched sounding. it all depends on the mic...
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.046 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com