Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mini disc recorder question  (Read 2444 times)

Offline DaveH

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Mini disc recorder question
« on: July 09, 2008, 10:10:44 AM »
I am just wondering about the Sony MZ-91 recorder I have and several issues I've encountered. First, the shows I record are usually for personal use so I really have no need (or money) to transfer them digitally onto CD. I run the headphone out to the microphone input on my CD burner and transfer them like that. Now, when I play back the mini discs recorded through the mic input it comes up on both channels through the headphones. When I go line-in, it only turns up on one channel but it records on both through the CD burner. I think I'm only picking up one channel of the recording but running it through the burner has me confused? I realize the recorder is old and I can deal with it as it is, I just wanted to know if anybody else has experienced this, if it's normal, etc. One other thing, and I think I know this answer but here goes: When you run a cheap microphone through the battery box is it normal to have an extremely low sound pick up? (I mean barely audible.)

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Mini disc recorder question
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 09:41:44 PM »
A battery box should allow for greater dynamic range but not make the sound less.  At least that is not my experience.

Mic-In on most computers is a single channel, for a mono mic.  Line-in is two channel.  Use Line-In for xfers.  To check this hook up your stereo mic(s) to mic-in and see how many channels you get over your speakers.  Then try it with Line-In and see how many channels you get.

I have gotten some pretty good recordings with SONY MD recorders, and the Hi-MD has excellent pre-amps and records in PCM whihc is WAV on the computer.  With good mics I get good recordings, when the venue is good.

This site (http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?) specializes in MD's and their usage.

Cheers
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline sunjan

• Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008, 10:18:52 AM »
I am just wondering about the Sony MZ-91 recorder I have and several issues I've encountered. First, the shows I record are usually for personal use so I really have no need (or money) to transfer them digitally onto CD. I run the headphone out to the microphone input on my CD burner and transfer them like that. Now, when I play back the mini discs recorded through the mic input it comes up on both channels through the headphones. When I go line-in, it only turns up on one channel but it records on both through the CD burner. I think I'm only picking up one channel of the recording but running it through the burner has me confused? I realize the recorder is old and I can deal with it as it is, I just wanted to know if anybody else has experienced this, if it's normal, etc. One other thing, and I think I know this answer but here goes: When you run a cheap microphone through the battery box is it normal to have an extremely low sound pick up? (I mean barely audible.)

I'm not sure I'm with you, concerning the "CD burner". Is this a standalone CD burning unit or a PC?
If it's a PC (which gives you a lot more control, even for analog transfers), you should use an audio editing program for recording the incoming signal. Try Audacity, it's open source.
Then you will be able to see the two channels visually, and verify what's being recorded.

Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

nameloc01

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2008, 04:09:36 PM »
if your doing an analog transfer,run an 1/8' mini plug>dual rca cable ,from your "headphone on the MD unit into the "line in" on your cd burner,dont use the "mic in".

this is how how i all of mine,actually i run mine analog out on the HI-MD into a mixing board then from the mixing board into the "line in" on my stand alone cd burner. works sweet.

i dont want to hear anything about digi transfers. :P

Offline DaveH

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 01:36:27 PM »
I don't believe my burner has a line-in, only mic-in. What is the difference, all the recordings I transferred thus far sound pretty good. There are digital and analog connections in the back of the burner but I don't have the cord to go from the MD recorder into the digital input.

Also, I read somewhere else on this board that you could record with headphones. I noticed when I test ran this method, only the left speaker picks up and it is a very low, almost inaudible sound. I think it might be safe to say the one channel doesn't work on the line-in.

One last thing and I suppose this could go into the mic questions, does the sound on mono microphones work as well on concert recording or are these mostly for dictation?

nameloc01

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 05:55:22 PM »
I don't believe my burner has a line-in, only mic-in. What is the difference, all the recordings I transferred thus far sound pretty good. There are digital and analog connections in the back of the burner but I don't have the cord to go from the MD recorder into the digital input.

Also, I read somewhere else on this board that you could record with headphones. I noticed when I test ran this method, only the left speaker picks up and it is a very low, almost inaudible sound. I think it might be safe to say the one channel doesn't work on the line-in.

One last thing and I suppose this could go into the mic questions, does the sound on mono microphones work as well on concert recording or are these mostly for dictation?

you dont have any kind of stereo inputs on the back of your burner?? nothing? hard to believe.
just get a 1/8" miniplug (male) cable that transitions into (2) two male rca plugs. plug those into any available input.
get the idea of recording with headphones out of your head. :)

Offline DaveH

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 03:03:50 PM »
Okay, thanks for clearing this up for me. So, the 1/8 miniplug transitions into two male RCA plugs, I assume you can get these at the nearby Radio Shack? I got a little confused, there is an analog input as well as digital inputs but that is only one connection unlike the left and right separation of the analog. Just out of curiousity, what is the difference in sound between using the mic-in and line-in route on the burner?

I didn't plan on recording with headphones but merely used this as a test to see if it would pick up both channels. It doesn't so would it even be worth it to invest in a new stereo mic down the line as opposed to a mono mic?

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 03:30:47 PM »
A single point stereo mic or a pair of cards or omnis.  Cards are good to start with.  There are many available and some advertised on this board.  Check the Retail section and the yard sale.
Nov schmoz kapop.

nameloc01

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 09:54:16 PM »
Yes,Radio Shack will carry that cable.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.058 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com