Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: CD burning troubles  (Read 3041 times)

dancing with elihu

• Trade Count: (0)
CD burning troubles
« on: January 06, 2004, 04:26:01 PM »
I've had some trouble burning some cd's today and I'm wondering if anyone has ideas for the cause, whether it be user error, the files that I'm burning, bad batch of cd-r's, or if my burner is just worn out. I've been using Nero and Fuji cd-r's and I've had a write error on 3 discs. I've not changed any of my normal actions when burning a cd (I do have a bt window up, however I usually have one going most of the time), but when it gets to 2 or 3% it stops on me. This is the first time in quite a while that I've lost any discs to a write error...any ideas on what it might be?

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re:CD burning troubles
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2004, 04:29:05 PM »
I'm sure you've already done this, but...rebooted / power-cycled yet?
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

dancing with elihu

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2004, 04:40:21 PM »
Yes I rebooted after the first two times it happened which were around 2am & 3am. The third one probably happened about 30 minutes ago, but I put another disc in and it worked fine. Also I haven't been trying to burn the same thing each time it's happened-they've all been different nero compilations.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2004, 04:44:54 PM »
Yes I rebooted after the first two times it happened which were around 2am & 3am. The third one probably happened about 30 minutes ago, but I put another disc in and it worked fine. Also I haven't been trying to burn the same thing each time it's happened-they've all been different nero compilations.

Does it happen burning both data and music?

And another disc worked 30min ago...leads me to believe it's a media issue, and not a burner issue.

Any history of Fuji problems in your burner?  If not, while they're Fuji-branded...maybe they're a different manufacturer?  Fuji's changed manufacturers recently, could be it.

Probably wouldn't hurt to re-install the burner, drivers, and Nero if changing media doesn't help.
Roland R-05

dancing with elihu

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2004, 04:56:56 PM »
I haven't tried to burn data recently...I've been burning audio cd's. I've never really had any problems like this before-3 write errors in pretty much a 12 hour period. I've had the occassional write error which might have been one for around every 100 cd's burnt, if that many. I don't want to have to reinstall all, but that is my last resort. I've also been contemplating a hard drive format after I get all the shows cleaned off it.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2004, 05:03:01 PM »
I've also been contemplating a hard drive format after I get all the shows cleaned off it.

That reminds me...defragged lately?
Roland R-05

dancing with elihu

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2004, 05:06:33 PM »
Yep...my comp's on a schedule to defrag every few days because my 80 gig slave drive has been almost full capacity here lately.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2004, 05:09:00 PM »
Well, shit...I'm at a loss other than try new media first...then reinstall drivers, etc.  Sucks!
Roland R-05

dancing with elihu

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2004, 05:20:57 PM »
Try new media...like some different cdr's? I actually do have a spindle of Imations sitting here and I've burnt about 50 of those during the past couple of weeks with no troubles. I also thought of something which I don't know if it would make a difference or not...this last spindle of Fuji's was purchased at Kmart and I normally buy them at Office Max.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2004, 05:31:55 PM »
Try new media...like some different cdr's? I actually do have a spindle of Imations sitting here and I've burnt about 50 of those during the past couple of weeks with no troubles. I also thought of something which I don't know if it would make a difference or not...this last spindle of Fuji's was purchased at Kmart and I normally buy them at Office Max.

How many of the current Fuji spindle have you used vs. how many coasters?  Fuji changed manufacturers recently (a downgrade, supposedly), so you may just have a finicky burner.

If you have EAC, you can find out the manufacturer with it.  I'd try using an Imation and see what happens - can't hurt, eh?
Roland R-05

dancing with elihu

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2004, 05:38:25 PM »
3 coasters/9 successes...The fuji's are for some stuff I'm sending off, but earlier I did burn with some Imations (had forgotten about burning these until a few minutes ago) to free up space on my hard drive..burnt 9 discs all with no problems and this was after the first two write errors I had.

dancing with elihu

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2004, 02:29:14 AM »
Ok...I struggled with drivers, uninstallation and reinstallation of programs and was able to burn 6 cd's. On my 7th I got some sort of power failure error. My cd burner still works though...it opens and closes and I was able to play a cd. I have never seen an error like that before?!?

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2004, 10:51:12 AM »
my burner is finicky sometimes, sometimes it shoots out 10 of 100 sometimes 10 of 1000,it just really depends, id say, just keep burning them!!!worked on my end, my HP burner has burned THOUSANDS of discs too :P
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.093 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com