Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Syncing and R-4 pro with an HD-P2  (Read 2641 times)

Offline bgreen

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Live music taper and archivist
    • Live Music Preservation Project
Syncing and R-4 pro with an HD-P2
« on: February 25, 2010, 10:53:00 PM »
Has anyone done this here. totally a noob to this. Read the manuals several times and I think I have it, but any words of advice would be helpful.

R-4 pro timecode is set to

Mode - rec/run
Frame Rate - 30
Out Select - on
Chase - Off

HD-P2 is set at

Clock Source - LTC
Time Frame - 30 ND
Freewheel - off
Jam Sync - Infinite
Trigger Mode - Auto
Trigger on Frame - on
Trigger Frame 00.00.00.00
Timecode Origin - 00.00.00.00

Everything seems to be running right, any input. Wanna make sure I have this. Thanks in advance.

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
Re: Syncing and R-4 pro with an HD-P2
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 12:03:27 AM »
Assuming that you want to get 6 channels that are synced together (and not use them for video syncing which is timecode)

set the HDP2 to pull it's clock signal from the SPDIF but pull it's audio from the analog XLRs, and send your coax/spdif out from the R-4 to the tascam. Should be in the tascam's manual on how to setup it's clock signal that way.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline bgreen

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 12:26:25 AM »
Assuming that you want to get 6 channels that are synced together (and not use them for video syncing which is timecode)

set the HDP2 to pull it's clock signal from the SPDIF but pull it's audio from the analog XLRs, and send your coax/spdif out from the R-4 to the tascam. Should be in the tascam's manual on how to setup it's clock signal that way.

Yes, looking for 6 channels that are synced.

The R-4 Pro has a  A BNC SMPTE Time Code output, so I have a BNC to XLR cable as it looks like the HD-P2 inputs through the XLR. Is this the cable I should be using to link them up? I didn't see an option anywhere to use spdif as the clock source.  I'll take a look again. Am I somewhat on track here.

Thanks Page, uncharted territory to me :p

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 12:34:24 AM »

Yes, looking for 6 channels that are synced.

The R-4 Pro has a  A BNC SMPTE Time Code output, so I have a BNC to XLR cable as it looks like the HD-P2 inputs through the XLR. Is this the cable I should be using to link them up? I didn't see an option anywhere to use spdif as the clock source.  I'll take a look again. Am I somewhat on track here.

Thanks Page, uncharted territory to me :p

Look for the RCA coax out on the R-4, it uses what appears to be a standard RCA video cable, but you need one that is 75ohm rated (it's a digital SPDIF cable), feed a signal out to the HDP2 into it's SPDIF in.

Unless your doing video (so camera/recorder combo), timecode is useless.

edit: I pulled a picture for reference. If I remember correctly, in the manual for the hdp2 there is a setting on where to pull the clock from, the BNC connector next to the timecode, the yellow coax in next to that, or the internal clock. Set it to the yellow SPDIF digi-in.

edit2: page 17/18 of the manual (at least one scanned one I found) has the clock source setting. Under the heading of "System Menus". Where you set it to not pull the audio from there is another question though...
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 12:43:38 AM by page »
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

Offline bgreen

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 01:14:13 AM »
So I'd use a standard RCA out from this

in the form of a 75ohm rated digi spdif from the R-4 pro and inputing into digital input on the hd-p2 as shown here

and the clock should be pulled from spidf on the menu.

So the BNC to XLR won't do anything to sync them up, need a digi spidf. Think I'm following thank you.

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 01:40:14 AM »
What does the R-4 Pro have for outputs?

edit:  looks like you need a AES digital XLR > SPIDIF digi coax cable or adapter.  Maybe you can use a BNC > BNC cable, but not sure....  I'll check my P2 tomorrow and see what you options are.  I sync two P2's together via SPIDIF digi coax.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 01:47:13 AM by uncleyug »
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 09:35:44 AM »
What does the R-4 Pro have for outputs?

edit:  looks like you need a AES digital XLR > SPIDIF digi coax cable or adapter.  Maybe you can use a BNC > BNC cable, but not sure....  I'll check my P2 tomorrow and see what you options are.  I sync two P2's together via SPIDIF digi coax.

shit, yeah, I didn't check the R-4 Pros out. It's an AES XLR out (other side). I assumed it was using a SPDIF RCA plug. my bad.

Offline bgreen

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2010, 09:03:42 PM »
Thanks fellas. Gonna get a cable and have a go at er.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.05 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com