Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Recommend an upgrade to chopped Nak 300's  (Read 3068 times)

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
Recommend an upgrade to chopped Nak 300's
« on: December 22, 2008, 09:13:30 PM »
I've got a friend running chopped Nak 300's > R-09.  He runs both open and low profile.  He would like to upgrade his mics and remain flexible to run open or low profile.  He loves the sound of the Schoeps but can't find himself spending $2800 on mics alone.  He has budgeted maybe $800 for his upgrade.  I'll refer him over here, but thought I could get the thread started first.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline sunjan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
Re: Recommend an upgrade to chopped Nak 300's
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 06:56:42 AM »
I've got a friend running chopped Nak 300's > R-09.  He runs both open and low profile.  He would like to upgrade his mics and remain flexible to run open or low profile.  He loves the sound of the Schoeps but can't find himself spending $2800 on mics alone.  He has budgeted maybe $800 for his upgrade.  I'll refer him over here, but thought I could get the thread started first.

We're talking stealth, I guess? The current rig doesn't include any outboard pre?
DPA 406x perhaps?!
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 08:47:49 AM »
Not purely stxxlth, but with an option to do so if the situation calls for it.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 09:40:32 AM »
AKG bluelines (391's, 393's, etc...), with the hard to find "extension cable".

there's a set available in the yardsale now for a great price:
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,114719.0.html

another option would be the Audix micros...
maybe the m1280's.  no "active" cable is available, but they're very small mics to begin with.
http://www.audixusa.com/docs/products/M1280.shtml

I think either the Audix mics or the AKGs would be an upgrade from the NAKs, and stay within the desired price range.

of course, the Nak's have an internal battery for power, yes?  most upgrades will require a phantom power source, which the r-09 cannot provide.  at the very least, something like a Denecke PS-2 will be needed for phantom power. 

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2008, 08:17:07 AM »
Thanks, Jason.  I'll have to look for some recordings with the Audix M1280 - they look interesting.

On the phantom power issue, I've mentioned that to him already and think he'll need at least a PS-2 to get started.

Link to LMA Recordings

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2008, 08:34:32 AM »
Thanks, Jason.  I'll have to look for some recordings with the Audix M1280 - they look interesting.

On the phantom power issue, I've mentioned that to him already and think he'll need at least a PS-2 to get started.

One thing to keep in mind re: the 1280/1290s is that some people have reported very quick battery drain, maybe a couple of hours with the PS-2.  I remember reading a thread about it a few months ago.

Offline M

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2008, 03:22:42 AM »
The 1290's are kinda quite so I really don't think it would be reasonable to run them with a ps2 alone for that reason as well....I get maybe 2h20min on name brand aa's with the mp2 (no leds or headphone amp).  I dig the sound.
Beyer CK930>Naiant TB>M10

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2008, 04:02:11 PM »

There must be something between the chopped Naks and the R09.  Some sort of preamp or battery box?  Finding a pre which complements what he has may be a good place to start.

Realistically... what is there in the area of "actives".  On the high end you have Schoeps, DPA, and KM140s, MBHO.  On the lower end you  have AT853's, etc., and there isn't much in between.  People came up with the chopped Naks, and as noted the AKG 390 actives.  I believe Rode makes the NT6 actives, but I've never seen a pair at a show.

Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2008, 04:51:14 PM »
There must be something between the chopped Naks and the R09.  Some sort of preamp or battery box?  Finding a pre which complements what he has may be a good place to start.

There are some batteries built into the lines of the Naks and he runs mic in on the R09.  No pre that I know of.

Realistically... what is there in the area of "actives".  On the high end you have Schoeps, DPA, and KM140s, MBHO.  On the lower end you  have AT853's, etc., and there isn't much in between.  People came up with the chopped Naks, and as noted the AKG 390 actives.  I believe Rode makes the NT6 actives, but I've never seen a pair at a show.

I see.  I guess that is the issue here and thus only a handful of replies.

Maybe he would be happier if he ran a pre in front of his Naks.  I offered for him to run the Church 9100.  Anything else that could help his Naks sound sweeter to his ears?

Link to LMA Recordings

Offline drewski1986

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2008, 05:13:54 PM »
I don't know much about the naks, but Busman is supposed to be coming out with an actives for his mics.  Not sure what the price on the actives will be but the mics with 4 sets of caps are around $500. 

Offline paulbaptiste

• Trade Count: (50)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • in that sweet bye and bye
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2008, 08:55:26 PM »
I run a 9100 (mini xlr)in front of my chopped naks, you can hear a sample here: 

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,113251.0.html

and have been very happy with the results
Official Archivist for The Felice Brothers and contact for guestlist/taper spots
Please contact me regarding upcoming shows as well as recordings for the bands archive
robertsnw@yahoo.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com