Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Remote Amazon  (Read 4603 times)

Offline Viejo Nuevo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Remote Amazon
« on: June 30, 2013, 10:21:58 AM »
Hey there Tapers!
My first post.
While I'm researching info in the nice looking knowledge base of this forum, DPA and Rode's mic universities, and playing with the toys I've got, thought I'd phish for some insight from the likeminded, here...

Heading to the amazon next week to do some field recordings.
Tight little setup that won't need any AC mains..
DAW - Auria on a new ipad4
Pres/ADC - RME Babyface in CC mode

Works ok without supplying phantom power, but still buggy when supplying phantom (tryin to suss this on the RME forum...just tryin to get the least inconvenient workaround)

For the mics....
Was fixated on SDC's, particularly drooling over the tele ela m260's (how I stumbled onto this forum).
Tried a KM 184 and an NT55 against my Rode K2. Just in the studio, to get a feel. The K2 (LDC) won hands down, being warmer than the 55 with more detail than the 184. Made me rethink my SDC'S strategy. Was it the valve in the K2? Diaphragm size?
I've got a shoot out lined up at vintage king, but thought I'd ask the crew here:

1) how do you decide on LDC vs SDC for recording small (lower volume) shows?
2) LDC vs SDC's for small, intimate performances?

I've only got one bigger live show under my belt (3 groups, tons of strings!!!), but was lucky enough to get a split run from all the mics to my usual home studio setup, side of stage (Apollo, 6176, 4-710 and 2626 into MBP running logic). Reading here I'd love to take my new portable setup and get some high quality 2 mic recordings at bigger shows/ festivals when I'm back from the jungle.

The next shootout (in store) includes pairs of:
1) gefell m300
2) gefell m930 (only LDC's in the shootout)
3) Josephson C42
4) AKG C451
5) trying to get the tele 260's in as well, but tele seems to not be so keen on trying before buying. 
6) Unfortunately VKLA doesn't have any other matched pairs of LDC's in stock.

Any comments/advice/stoke while I'm researching / auditioning the next piece in my puzzle appreciated! Also, of course feel free to ask how my setups turned out over the coming weeks/months, if it's piqued your interest.

Offline Viejo Nuevo

• Taperssection Newbie
Re: Remote Amazon
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 10:24:38 AM »
Ps my backup is a rode iXY into my iPhone, pretty slick little mic for the cash...

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 01:58:30 AM »
Well, for a little more $$$, its NEVER been easier to get into Schoeps, SUPER HQ mics :P ;D You can usually find a used pair of Schoeps MK4/MK41 Cardioids/Supercardioids respectivaly! So around $1,300.00 for a pair of the capsules ;) Then you'd need an expensive Schoeps Active Cable that allows you to just go from Schoeps MKxx Capsules>Schoeps KCY Cable>Naiant Tinybox>Sony PCM-M10 and its a super small and compact recording rig that I PROMISE will sound amazing 9 out of 10 times ;) The capsules are around $1,250-$1,300 used. A new Schoeps KCY cable is around $950 new, but they occasionally get sold for cheaper. In fact, just two weeks ago, I scored a MINT KCY for $600. So lets say thats about $2,00 so far. All you would need then is a Naiant Tinybox to power and boost the signal of the mics, which runs around $250-$350 on average. Thats $2,300. Add a Sony PCM-M10 battery, and your GOLDEN for around $2,500.00 TOTAL! I have 2 of these Schoeps setups so I can run at two diff stages at festivals. But seriously, all you need is around $2,500.00 MAX and youd have one kickass setup that would last a VERY LONG TIME, just as long as you take care of it like I do ;)

Just a thought bro. I think youd be very happy with that setup ;) 8) ;D
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Viejo Nuevo

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 08:58:46 AM »
Mate that is one intense setup. Felt like I needed another uni degree to get through the chat on the capsule/cable/amp setup!
Plus a bit short on time to make it happen for this trip...leavin in a few days!
Thanks for that though - def made me read into some different setups that look pretty sweet for what I'd like to get into. I could picture a tidy little setup like yours with a few different capsules would cover all bases in a lightweight / portable rig.
Do those PCMs keep you happy enough quality wise on the pres/converters? Seems a WAY more stable option anyways than my Babyface/Auria plan...

And as to my issues with the bugginess of the Babyface supplying phantom in class compliant mode (so it can talk to the iPad), I think the best workaround is going to be a battery powered phantom supply for the stereo setup. If it ends up working stably, might end up being a tastier portable pre/AD combo for your schoeps setup as well Beaner no?

Any sure fire battery op'd phantom power supplies generally available on short notice? A few generous words of wisdom from a vet here could change my life ;)

Offline Viejo Nuevo

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 10:14:57 AM »
Ah, sorry guys, I see now the tiny box is a sick Lil pre as well.
After a bit more pokin around looks like the Denecke 2 channel rush ordered from B&H will be the winner.

Offline Viejo Nuevo

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 10:18:18 AM »
I thought my setup was gonna be smallest n greatest ever, but some of the rigs you've all got goin outs mine to shame! Inspiring...

Offline mepaca

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
  • taperssection member
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 11:38:33 AM »
You might want to consider the Sennheiser mkh series. They sound great and are extremely resistant to
high humidity. They are the standard for field recording in such conditions.

Offline Viejo Nuevo

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 03:55:32 AM »
Thanks, ill see if I can test them out in store on Wednesday as well..

Offline Viejo Nuevo

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2013, 04:02:05 AM »
I've gone with the Denecke dual phantom supply - pretty small for a dual unit, simple 9V alkaline to give 'er juice, not too exy. Not super sexy either, but fits the bill.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2013, 04:11:52 AM »
There are a pair of Josephson C42s mics for sale here in ts.coms yard sale.

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=163083.0

I would buy them if i were you

Offline jazzgtrl4

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2013, 12:05:46 PM »
Hey there Tapers!
My first post.
While I'm researching info in the nice looking knowledge base of this forum, DPA and Rode's mic universities, and playing with the toys I've got, thought I'd phish for some insight from the likeminded, here...

Heading to the amazon next week to do some field recordings.
Tight little setup that won't need any AC mains..
DAW - Auria on a new ipad4
Pres/ADC - RME Babyface in CC mode

Works ok without supplying phantom power, but still buggy when supplying phantom (tryin to suss this on the RME forum...just tryin to get the least inconvenient workaround)

For the mics....
Was fixated on SDC's, particularly drooling over the tele ela m260's (how I stumbled onto this forum).
Tried a KM 184 and an NT55 against my Rode K2. Just in the studio, to get a feel. The K2 (LDC) won hands down, being warmer than the 55 with more detail than the 184. Made me rethink my SDC'S strategy. Was it the valve in the K2? Diaphragm size?
I've got a shoot out lined up at vintage king, but thought I'd ask the crew here:

1) how do you decide on LDC vs SDC for recording small (lower volume) shows?
2) LDC vs SDC's for small, intimate performances?

I've only got one bigger live show under my belt (3 groups, tons of strings!!!), but was lucky enough to get a split run from all the mics to my usual home studio setup, side of stage (Apollo, 6176, 4-710 and 2626 into MBP running logic). Reading here I'd love to take my new portable setup and get some high quality 2 mic recordings at bigger shows/ festivals when I'm back from the jungle.

The next shootout (in store) includes pairs of:
1) gefell m300
2) gefell m930 (only LDC's in the shootout)
3) Josephson C42
4) AKG C451
5) trying to get the tele 260's in as well, but tele seems to not be so keen on trying before buying. 
6) Unfortunately VKLA doesn't have any other matched pairs of LDC's in stock.

Any comments/advice/stoke while I'm researching / auditioning the next piece in my puzzle appreciated! Also, of course feel free to ask how my setups turned out over the coming weeks/months, if it's piqued your interest.

This would be a great choice  ;D   not sure how high humidty would be with the tube mics but ive run mine outdoors in direct sunlight with no problem and im about to do it again at HSMF. If they melt, il let you know :'(

Offline Viejo Nuevo

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2013, 12:16:01 PM »
Haha thanks Jazzy G!
Tomorrows the shootout at VKLA, hopefully the teles have made it to the party!
I'll get to try the C42's for sure that FS post is reassuring Beaner, thanks! Left it way too late to get them from cage seeing as I fly to Colombia on Thursday... ;D 8) ;D

cashandkerouac

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2013, 12:27:44 PM »
You might want to consider the Sennheiser mkh series. They sound great and are extremely resistant to
high humidity. They are the standard for field recording in such conditions.

i 2nd the recommendation for the Sennheiser MKH80xx series.  best of luck with your search, and safe travels.

Offline Viejo Nuevo

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2013, 03:50:27 PM »
Thanks Sr. Bass!
In LA now, fly out tonight.
I ended up going with the Telefunken field recording set - sounded great in the shop and the feature set was irresistible.
The interchangeable capsules mean Ill get to play around with a few different stereo micing techniques as featured in the newby article (great read by the way) on stereophonic zoom.
Plus the battery that the field set comes with is 100 Ah - equivalent to 8 of the ones I'd bought from easyAcc to power the Babyface / iPad. It also features a USB out so I can actually use it to power Babyface/iPad, etc. the case looks like it'll have enough room for all my gear except the iPad.

Since everyone here's pretty up on their mics Ill spare y'all my description of the mics I tried in the shop - ill just say the experience at VKLA was pretty sweet, no rush on time and no hassle about forcing purchases. But man, a dangerous place to be with a credit card!

I'll try to post a pic of the full setup this afternoon, and some recordings (hopefully!!) when Im back!
Peace!

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2013, 06:03:00 PM »
Word! bring back the goods ;D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com