Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What mics would you talk me in to?  (Read 3079 times)

Offline balou2

• Crippled, but still dancin'
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • He was a friend of mine.
    • Little Mountain Sound Archive
What mics would you talk me in to?
« on: October 03, 2006, 07:35:37 PM »
I'm ready to give up the 184s.  I like them, but want to try something else...even if it's just the 140's.  I'd like to have the ability to run bodiless, as well as have the ability to run multiple caps.  Maybe move to LD for a while?  414XLII?

What would you buy?

I figure I could get $900 (+/-) for the 184's.  They're practically brand new in condition, and are within a decibal or two.  I have original boxes, clips screens etc....

Figuring $900-$1400 to spend, what would you buy?  I'll likely try for a set of 140's with actives, but I'm curious....  Won't have much more than $1400, so don't think about the Schoeps.  Maybe MG?  Bean keeps preachin' 480's or jmod460s.  I'm a creature of habit who RARELY changes this type of thing, so I'm having trouble getting off the pot.
So many choices....
Socks are overrated.

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
Re: What mics would you talk me in to?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2006, 10:26:55 PM »
900.......for that price you could add 200$ and get a set of peluso's with all the caps............ :o
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2006, 10:34:16 PM »
I think the Peluso's are a step down from the KM184s, quality-wise.  But, on the other hand, I find intriguing the option of having omni, subcard, card, and hypers caps.

If it were me, I'd go with MGs - love their sound.  But, of course, you should listen to a whole slew of recordings with the different mics you're considering.  At least if you buy used, you can basically get out of 'em what you've put into 'em, so swapping mics won't set you back any cash.  Used mics = easy way to figure out what you like, try a lot of different gear, without taking a big depreciation hit.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2006, 11:12:54 PM »
"But, on the other hand, I find intriguing the option of having omni, subcard, card, and hypers caps."
exactly....

MG's would be even better.  But they don't pop up used very much and prices new are definately on the high side new.
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2006, 11:34:39 PM »
AKG 480's!   For the money they are hard to beatl.  The ck63's are the best 'hyper' cap on the market.   Typically you can fin them for $900 with one set of caps and around $1300 for a set with hypers and cards.

Offline anodyne33

• You'll have that
  • All my life there's been the magnets.
    • Lucky
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2006, 10:36:43 AM »
if you like the neumann sound and don't mind waiting around for a bit i'd suggest trying to find a good pair of km84s. i've never used any neumanns to tape a show, but in the studio the difference between a 184 and a good 84 is like night and day. the downside is that i've heard km84s that sound like absolute ass, but i've also head them sound stellar.
Pockets full of nickels and nothing left to eat, and I'm stuck behind a semi on Soniat Street.

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2006, 10:54:30 AM »
yeah, if you can find a used pair of MG's, then you should definitely go for it!  new, expect to pay around 2 grand for a pair (with just one set of caps).  but, if you can swing it, it's definitely worth it.  I went from the km184's to the MG m200 mics, and it was definitely a nice step up.  while I only own the cards, I've been lucky and have been able to borrow both the hypers and the omnis.  all the caps sound great.  ;D  The only downside with the Gefells is that there is no current option for running active cables.  you've got to run the full mics/bodies.

The ck63's are the best 'hyper' cap on the market.

personally, I'd argue that the m21 is the best hyper on the market, but everyone's got their own opinion.

Offline grider

• Trade Count: (6)
  • always give more than you take
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2006, 11:02:50 AM »
AKG 414s are some of the most consistently great sounding mics in the market

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2006, 12:41:24 PM »
Pick up Tim's AKG ck1/c460b combo on ebay.  This gives you the option of running actives if you can find a set of the used mk46 cables and ck_x caps.  Run the stock 460's for a while, and if you get the itch to upgrade, you can get the JW mod.

ck1/c460b                                              $770 BIN  auction link
ck62 & ck66 used or from boxymusic          $600 to $700

Then grab the ck4 (fig 8 cap) that's on ebay regardless of the price!! auction link

Potential JW mod upgrade                        $300 to $350
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

easy jim

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2006, 06:46:05 PM »
AKG 414s are some of the most consistently great sounding mics in the market

I've had my 414s for only a couple months and am blown away every time I use them.  The main reason I chose the 414s, aside from having drooled over them for a long time since my first patch out of a pair in the mid-90s, is the multiple patterns...5 patterns with the new series: omni, wide-cardioid, cardioid, hyper-cardioid, and figure 8.

It is a wonderful thing to have 5 pattern choices when you walk into a new room, and really be able to consider 'ideal' mic set-ups vs. the 'best possible with what's on hand' set-up I'd gotten used to running the fixed cap (cardioid) 451s.

You can grab a new matched pair of the 414 B-XLS/ST for ~ $1300 - 1400 on ebay with best offer with some sellers.  The 414 B-XLII has a mid-range bump in their frequency response designed for recording female vocals, so they are best for mostly acoustic stuff and/or boomy rooms, and thus may not be the best choice if you want something a flat as possible. 

marc0789

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2006, 08:00:53 PM »
step up to the big leagues...forty twenty two's. ;) ;D

Offline mmedley.

• is on a salty highway burning up a lucky streak
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • CAR RAMROD
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2006, 11:27:31 PM »
If you like the Neumann sound then hands down go for the 140's with the active get-up. They lap the 184's IMO.

That is the next set of mics (and arsenal of caps) I am going to get (in addition to what I have now). I won't EVER leave the dark side! ;D

The Neumann setup is super compact and affordable for the higher end mics....and add a 722 and you have a dream rig. The 140's > 722 combo has made some of my favorite recordings. The ak20 (fig 8) cap is super sweet too should you decide to run M/S.
I don't know just where I'm going
But I'm gonna try for the kingdom, if I can

Offline muj

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Certifiable Nevaton Fluffer
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2006, 07:36:03 AM »
ask teddy if he could get you a pair of pearl tl-66

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.129 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com