Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Are Sound Proffesionals mics good?  (Read 2346 times)

Offline reorocks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Are Sound Proffesionals mics good?
« on: April 15, 2009, 12:42:18 PM »
I want to get some binaural mics from Sound Proffesionals to use with my Zoom H2. What are some good binaurals mics from them? I can't spend over $100. I was gonna get some low cost mics from Core Sound, but they won't answer and I need mics by tomorrow.

nameloc01

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Are Sound Proffesionals mics good?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 03:14:09 PM »
You'd probably be better of using the $100 and getting a used set of mics here. A used set of ATs or Church mics..if you buy a new set of low end mics you're not going to be happy and that $100 will be totally wasted.

Offline travelinbeat

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Turning soundwaves into zeros and ones since 1999
    • http://db.etree.org/travelinbeat
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 04:02:02 PM »
Getting mics from anywhere by tomorrow will be virtually impossible.  Maybe your best bet would be to go to the Team thread that's closest to you to see if someone can loan you their mics for the night... though even that may be tough to do since you're so new on the boards... maybe you can leave collateral.  I don't know... anyways, I'd say check the Team Boards, I don't think you have a  chance in h*ll of getting mics by tomorrow any other way, particularly if your spending cap is $100.  Expedited shipping to get the mics to you tomorrow could easily eat up a third of your budget, leaving you with pretty much no money for mics, Sound Pro's or otherwise.

Edit: Just checked SP's shipping costs-- over $30 for 1-day afternoon delivery, over $70 for 1-day morning delivery.  This is all still assuming that they will be able to get the package out the door this late in the day.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 04:07:11 PM by travelinbeat »
Mics: Busman BSC1's K1/K2/K3/K4, CA-14's
Units: 2x Edirol R-09HR, iRiver H120 (RockBox + 2200mAh + CF mod)
Power & Accessories: Naiant Littlebox 1.5, Church ST-9100, Denecke PS-2, 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD2/8GB), 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD4/16GB), Kingston 32GB (Model: SD4/32GB), Darktrain XLR, 2x Shure A81WS's, 4x Powerex 9.6v, 12x Sanyo 2700 NiMH, 2x AT8410A's

Team DC · Team Naiant · Team Busman · Team Church Audio · NFL Team is NY Jets

I tape in earnest dedication to the mission of breaking the back of the CTOA

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 04:11:03 PM »
Use your internal mics on your Zoom for now and consider Church Audio mics. (retail section of this forum)
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Poohbah!
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 04:40:51 PM »
I want to get some binaural mics from Sound Proffesionals to use with my Zoom H2.

Are you planning on just plugging them into the mic-in on the H2? DON'T!!!! The mic-in sucks on the H2, you would be better off using the internal mics and saving up for a Church-Audio preamp and some of his mics (CA-14 recommended).
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 10:11:51 PM »
Try this forum.  It has all the answers.   ;)

http://taperssection.com/index.php/board,3.0.html

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2009, 10:34:27 AM »
I want to get some binaural mics from Sound Proffesionals to use with my Zoom H2. What are some good binaurals mics from them? I can't spend over $100. I was gonna get some low cost mics from Core Sound, but they won't answer and I need mics by tomorrow.

To answer your original question (as another poster down here alluded to), I think SP makes good products, Church makes good products, and Coresound makes good products. However (making a big assumption here) if your goal is recording loud rock concerts, I am not sure $100 will get you something usable from any of these three manufacturers (and thus, why you might want to buy a set used).  Recording loud shows requires that you run mics + power supply, and generally, mics that have been modified to handle high sound pressure levels.  I don't believe the Coresound "low cost" mics do this, and nor do the Sound Professionals ones (though you can pay a little extra for their mod). 

When I first started taping I thought I'd save a little money and bought some non-powered mics and tried running them.  I was (as I admittedly had been told) constantly disappointed when my shows came out distorted.  Better off saving a little cash and getting the right mics the first time.

Any of the normal "small mic" options (SP, Church, Core, Sonic Studios) WITH a power supply (aka "Battery box") will do what you need.  It's a good idea to ask questions of the folks who make them before you buy, also.  If you give a clear indication of what you want to use them for and roughly what your budget it, the manufacturer will steer you in the right direction. 

Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.048 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com