Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Best XLR cables recommendations?  (Read 28392 times)

Offline Phil Zone

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Best XLR cables recommendations?
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2013, 11:20:13 PM »
The best way to go is tgakidis here in TS. He makes 'em custom. For stock cables, Mogami gold is hard to beat.

Agreed
Microphones: AKG 460B, 480B, Naiant Actives,CK1,CK61,CK62,CK63, CK69, Busman BSC-1, CA-14
Preamps: Naiant Littlebox, Naiant Tinyhead
Recorders: Zoom F6, Tascam DR-05

LMA Shows: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Cam%20Keough%22&sort=-date

Offline Phil Zone

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2013, 06:42:15 PM »
The best cables are made by ted gak.  He is fairly priced and extremely well made.  As well as a nice guy.
Microphones: AKG 460B, 480B, Naiant Actives,CK1,CK61,CK62,CK63, CK69, Busman BSC-1, CA-14

LMA Shows: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Cam%20Keough%22&sort=-date

Offline time will tell

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2013, 07:40:55 PM »
Where do the monster brand cables fall as far as quality and reliability? It doesn't sound like any of you guys use them. I have used their instrument cables for years without issue. How do they work for live recording gear?
"Floating through liquid air, with music everywhere."

Offline Phil Zone

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2013, 09:07:04 PM »
Where do the monster brand cables fall as far as quality and reliability? It doesn't sound like any of you guys use them. I have used their instrument cables for years without issue. How do they work for live recording gear?

the cables are quite good quality, but i find them to be very expensive and i think there is better value such as cables make by ted. but i think some of us if not a lot like to support inside the community and buy stuff from other tapers like ted, and darktrain, ect. but i don't have anything against them, other than the price. but of course, only MY opinion

Offline ScoobieKW

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2013, 10:44:52 PM »
Shady company, who makes sub-par goods. They also threaten legal action at the drop of the hat, going after monster.com, Monster energy drink, and Blue Jeans Cable. Blue Jeans uses high quality Belden cables, Neutrik and Canare connectors, and has a few of their own lines. Check out this email exchange.

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/legal/mcp/
Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

Offline pohaku

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2013, 11:18:37 PM »

Overpriced and nothing special, despite their marketing.  The cables made by Ted and Darktrain, among others, are far superior and fairly priced.
Mics: akg c460 (ck61, ck63), c414buls, c568eb; at4049a, 4051a, 4053a, at853; josephson c42; neumann U87, km84i; beyer m130, m160, m500; aea r84; gefell m71, mt711s, m200, m201, um70S; sony c38; schoeps cmc6, CMBI (mk4, mk21, mk41, mk4v); sennheiser mkh30, mkh40, md421, md431, md541; audix m1290
Pres: API, a-designs, pendulum, purple, millennia TD-1 and HV-32P, gt, littlebox, tinybox, usbpre2, CA 9200, pipsqueak, grace V2, DAV BG1
Cables: KCY, CMR, Naiant AKG actives, PFAs, asst.  GAKables and Darktrain
Recorders/converters/monitors: dr680, m10, dr-2d, d50, zoom f8 & F8n pro, 788T SSD CL-8, lynx aurora 8, Neumann KH20

Yeah, I'm an attorney, but everyone needs a day job

Offline time will tell

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2013, 11:21:57 PM »
That is pretty shady.

I am more concerned with quality. Don't get me wrong, that kind of business is a turn off to the point that I probably would not buy another monster cable, but considering the lifetime warranty and the fact that I already own two long instrument cable made by monster, and I have bought two 15' xlr cables to start with my recording rig with that are made by monster, I will continue to use them unless there is an affordable cable out there that is hands down better as far as quality is concerned. I really like being able to walk into a store with a broken cable( only had to do it once) and leave with a brand new cable for free.
"Floating through liquid air, with music everywhere."

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2013, 09:23:24 AM »
Then buy anything other than Monster from your local store

Canare
Belkin
Mogami

Offline ccage

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2013, 05:34:57 PM »
 Ted & Robb ( darktrain) make excellent products with fast delivery. I like that they can make custom ends i.e right angles and offsets to custom fit
how you have gear set up in bag. Support your fellow tapers!
Schoeps CCM 41V, MK4, MK41, NBob Schoeps Actives, JB Mod Nak 300>cp103, JB Mod PFA Nak cp104, Naiant Active>AKG CK 63 combo,   
Oade m248mkII  Audioroot Femto
SD 744
Darktrain cables-tgakidis cables/bar
followinbob clips/risers/bars-Naiant PFA's-Nbob Actives

Offline OnamaeWaNanDesuKa

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2013, 03:02:50 AM »
Anyone happen to have a link to that hilarious Amazon comment section about cables improving sound?
I know I'm grave-digging here, but I think you're referring to:

A caution to people buying these: if you do not follow the "directional markings" on the cables, your music will play backwards. Please check that before mentioning it in your reviews.

I was disappointed. I consider myself an audiophile - I regularly spend over $1000 on cables to get the ultimate sound. I keep my music-listening room in a Faraday cage to prevent any interference that could alter my music-listening experience. Sending any signal down ordinary copper can degrade the signal considerably. While ordinary listeners might not notice, to somebody with even a rudimentary knowledge of sound, the artifacts are glaring. Denon should have used silver wiring (hermetically sealed inside the rubber sheath to prevent any tarnishing, of course), which has a significantly higher conductivity than copper. Furthermore, Denon needs to treat the wires they use in the cable with a polarity inductor to ensure minimal phase variance.

Needless to say, I returned the cable and wrote an angry letter to the so-called engineers at Denon.

Or the whole page here: http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AKDL1-Dedicated-Cable-Version/dp/B000I1X6PM/

Or this one: http://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-K2-Terminated-Speaker-Cable/dp/B000J36XR2/

Pretty hilarious stuff. Thanks for reminding me. Cracked up the first time I read that shiz.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 03:07:07 AM by OnamaeWaNanDesuKa »
Mics: Berliner CM-33s
Recorder: Olympus LS-100
Cables: Monster Prolink XLR
Mounting: Shure A27M
Backup Power: Duracell Portable Power Bank

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.388 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com