Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Poll

Who has better products, and is generally a better company?

Core Sounds is better
7 (17.9%)
Sound Professionals is better
29 (74.4%)
I think they are both good.
0 (0%)
I dont use either. They both suck.
3 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Author Topic: Core Sounds or Sound Professionals?  (Read 8683 times)

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Core Sounds or Sound Professionals?
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2005, 02:45:48 PM »
Sorry for bumping an old thread, but just wanted to give my $.02

My experiences with Len have been mostly positive. I too one time was told to call back later, which I thought was a bit strange from a retailr, but nonetheless everything went smoothly.

My one gripe however, and this applies to their "taking advantage of newbies", is the absolute shittyness of their 7 pin cables. They're poorly designed (to the point they could actually damage the deck's input), and I never even had one that worked. But, to read their site, you'd think they were the greatest...what, with their "7 Pin Bible", etc.

Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline Ekib

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2005, 05:35:32 PM »
My one gripe however, and this applies to their "taking advantage of newbies", is the absolute shittyness of their 7 pin cables. They're poorly designed (to the point they could actually damage the deck's input), and I never even had one that worked. But, to read their site, you'd think they were the greatest...what, with their "7 Pin Bible", etc.

I have used Len's 7 pin cables many times.I used it to make quick back ups(at the time)from a DAT to a portable Minidisc(in case for some reaosn something might happen with the DAT tape)and it always worked smoothless.In what way didn't it work???
But I have to say, I don’t mind it. I do object when I see people sticking microphones up my nose, in the front row. If I see anyone doing that [laughs] I’m going to have security remove them. Because that’s just obnoxious. But I don’t mind if people come and discreetly at the back make a recording of it. And I know that it’s just for their own use, for the superfan.
(Steven Wilson , interview http://blog.musoscribe.com/index.php/2011/01/25/interview-steven-wilson-on-audience-taping/ )

Offline fandelive

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2005, 03:52:25 AM »
Mics : Sony ECM-717, MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod), SP-CMC-4 (at853), 2x DPA4060, 2x DPA4061
Battery box : SP-SPSB-6524 w/bass roll-off filter, MM-CBM-1
Preamp : Church Audio CA-9100
Recorders : Sony MZR-700PC, Edirol R-09HR, Tascam DR-2d

Offline aseltzer144

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2005, 10:19:48 AM »
I was recently looking for an inexpensive quality mic primarily for voice recording. I also wanted something very portable. I was familiar with Sound Pros from my purchase of a minidisc recorder several years ago. Since then they came out with an even less expensive version of their basic binaural mic. I heard the musical sound sample on the website and was very impressed, given that it was recorded so inexpensively. I also knew of Core Sound but their low cost binaurals were more than the Sound Pros and I doubted that they would be any more suitable for my purpose.

I called Sound Pros and got Chris on the line. In a manner of minutes, he quickly explained the handful of mics that would suit my purpose, why I would want omni over cardioid, and then was able to focus me on to one particular mic. I got the mic two days later, an SP-BMC-2, which is the least expensive binaural they sell and the one recommended by Chris. Recording quality going directly to minidisc without a battery box was very good. In fact, it was a bit too good, picking up a lot of ambient noise that normally is filtered out by the human ear. When I called back to ask if this sensitivity issue could be addressed, another salesperson spent about half an hour with me explaining other options. As it turns out, I found a way to reduced the ambient noise significantly in Audacity and I will keep these mics. For the quality of the mics for the price, as well as for their customer service, I recommend them.

Personally, customer service is important and I do expect a high level especially if I am dealing with an owner. As far as I am concerned, as good as a product may be, there are too many other good products out there to have to accept lacking customer service.

Offline PG

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2005, 10:38:30 AM »

I have used Len's 7 pin cables many times.I used it to make quick back ups(at the time)from a DAT to a portable Minidisc(in case for some reaosn something might happen with the DAT tape)and it always worked smoothless.In what way didn't it work???

Their 7-pin looks like an instrument of medieval torture.

Offline surf1div1

• Taperssection Regular
Re: Core Sounds or Sound Professionals? Pick anyone but CORE SOUND!
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2007, 03:31:57 PM »
OK, I know this thread is old, but while looking at Sound Professionals I had to respond to this post which to me is the exception and not the rule. I've posted previously on my poor experiences with CS- First, check the warranties on both- I purchased the HEB (DPA) and with Len, I sent them back and after two years he wouldn't do squat. I asked since I'd had so many problems with them (first told me my cables were bad and replaced those less then a year after owning them telling me I was rough on them (all four times using them) I sent them back. Anyway, if it comes to DPA deal direct with them. Len never , as cordial as he was made good on my 'defective' mike (which DPA found) and Len claimed was abused. Suffice to say, I don't trust Core Sound or Len. If I had known about this site I would of never purchased anything from him after reading of similiar experiences with others. So, in summary, while you make think your stuck with service with Core Sound if you have their HEB, DPA America will stand behind them- and that was after Core Sound's lame warranty which is 1/2 of what DPA offers. Once burned, twice shy. Never buy from Len or Core Sound- but then anyone who check's this group knows that anyway ;-)

I am a user of Core-Sound's Cardioid stealthy mic's(the $ 250 ones).I am a stealth taper and therefore my mic's need to be small.There may be better bigger(in size)mic's on the market but they are no option for me.I have heard many of the competition and I just loike the CSCD mic's the best.That's my taste,I just like the way they "sound".Last year for a brief period I changed(even bought a pair)to Microphone Madness Highline Sennheiser driven mic's.They can't even stand the test with CSCD to me.Sure they have more warmth but I miss the clarity and directness CSCD have.Also at one concert the MM's distorted a little bit on the bass end so that is unacceptable to me.I am not even considering any other mic anymore.I like the way my recordings sound and they have an uniformity since I have been using them for so long(with that small exception I just mentioned).I don't need to do much with the CSCD recordings...no equalizer etc. That's another thing I like about them...

Since I am using the mic's for so long I have dealt with Len on a few occasions with different outcome.Last year after 6 years my mic broke down.After such a time I find this a normal thing since I carry my mic's at so many gigs and afterwards you fold them and unfold them,take them in your pocket etc.etc..It's a miracle they didn't break earlier.Len than told me my mic's were broken beyond repair(and I know he does repair when he can since 2 of my friends have CSCD also).So he said he has a 5 year grace period(out of the warranty period).If a mic breaks down you can buy a new one for half the money..$ 125.I thought this was great service.He didn't even have to do that since I had my mic's for 6 years but he said he appreciated my business.I thought this was very good service.The new pair he sent me sounded just as good as the old pair and he shipped it out the next day.That was great service!

Than a friend of mine had his mic broke down.I mailed it back for him(september 2004) but to this day the thing has never been repaired.I tried calling him,emailed him several times...no reply!As good as he treated me with my mic's as POOR he does his job with this other pair of mic's.My friend has 3 pair of CSCD's so he doesn't really miss this one...in the end he just let it go...
Than along with the replacement mic I did order a pair of windscreens.I did pay an extra $ 10 and Len promised to ship it along with the mic(the replacement pair)...the mic arrived but no windscreens.I email Len..no response...tried to call him...nothing...tried calling again...got him on the line..."call me back at 4 PM" because I'm on my way...called him back at 4 PM...no answer and so on and on.I still don't have my windscreens.
I have had other pair of mic's being repaired and although he wasn't easy to track he did a good job at them for a fair rate.

My point is you just never know what treatment you are getting from Len.It could be great,it could be terrible.
If this was with any other company I would have left right away.But I love these mic's so much and I can't get them anywhere else.So I deal with Len and hope for the best everytime...
DPA 4061>CHURCH CA UGLY Pre-AMP
>Roland R-07> 32 GB Sandisk Extreme Pro SD

nameloc01

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2007, 06:28:06 PM »
Lol.   you most definitely are not going to overpower any of sp's higher end mics if you power them correctly with phantom power. If you use one of their standard bb's you can pretty easy. As far as the dpas....you are only paying for the small package...soundwise sp carries several at mics that sound just as good if not better. For a fraction of the price..you can get a killer set of at mics modded for phantom and a phantom supply for just about half the cost.

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2007, 01:00:10 AM »
Their 7-pin looks like an instrument of medieval torture.

That could be the funniest thing I've read all night :lol:

Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Live Music Archive Bookmarks

Offline moooose

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2007, 02:40:55 AM »
just my .02

I bought separately mics and a preamp from SP. Both of times I got from Chris and his team an outstanding sale and post sale service: timely, effective, warm. Personally I would'nt underestimate customer service, especially if a repair is needed.

Regarding product comparisons... it depends on what we are talking about - but please let's compare apples with apples, especially pricewise.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.061 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com