Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: JB3 Stealthability  (Read 5992 times)

Offline porphyry

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Grimshaw- the World's First Bootlegger
JB3 Stealthability
« on: February 09, 2004, 05:20:37 AM »
how stealthable - ie. easy to conceal - is the JB3? it kinda looks like a big clunky discman. currently i'm smuggling my sony mz-n10 (smallest minidisc recorder in the world) in in my girlfriend's bra. or down my pants.

cheers.

oh and the JB3 can record WAV in 24-bit can't it? or did i imagine that? if so, what's it like when you dither it down to good 'ol 16-bit?

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • Needs to get out more...
  • FJ Baby!
Re:JB3 Stealthability
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2004, 05:26:07 AM »
the hightest quality it can do is 16/48, and i can easily stealth mine.  just put it in a bag (crown royal bag works great) and let it hang by your schlong, wrapping the chord from the bag around your belt, you'll be ok.

ed

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline porphyry

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2004, 05:30:51 AM »
is its size/shape about the same as a discman? smaller? larger?

Offline Ed.

• FJ Baby!
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2004, 05:33:00 AM »
its pretty much the same size as a discman, probably a little heavier than one, cuz of the batteries.

you don't have to carry md's tho...

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline Humbug

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Humbug Hum Rejection Unit
    • Trading site
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2004, 09:55:36 AM »
I quite often carry the JB3 in to venues in my jacket pocket - It frequently gets picked up but I just tell security its a 'personal stereo'.

Havent had it conviscated yet.
UK based taper: MK4>Nbox Platinum>PCM-M10
AT853C>CA9200 / PIPsqueak>Tascam DR-2D

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Humbug66

zowie

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2004, 01:59:51 PM »
It fits in a coat pocket.  It's about the size of an old school PCDP, but slightly different shape.  Problem is not so much concealing it, but operating it without looking.  Very hard to do, except maybe for taking it out of pause.

Offline jeffbr

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2004, 08:23:36 PM »
 Problem is not so much concealing it, but operating it without looking.  Very hard to do, except maybe for taking it out of pause.

This is what I'm wondering about. I just got my JB3 and will be taking it for its maiden taping on Thursday. To record you have to navigate through Record > Line In > Monitor > Change to WAV > press record. Seems like a bit of a pain, especially when the glowing blue display is like a beacon in a dark club. I guess I'll have to take a trip to the restroom, get it set, hit pause, and then find my spot so I can just reach in and take it off of pause. Is that the standard procedure for stealthing with these things?
Mics: Church Audio CA-11, SP-CMC-8 (AT933), SP-CMC-2 (AT831), SP-CMC-20
Pre/Power: PS/2, AD-20, SP-SPSB-2, SP-PREAMP, SP-SPSB-6
Recorder: Edirol R-09HR, Zoom H4, Nomad JB3, Sony MD

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2004, 10:41:45 PM »
 Problem is not so much concealing it, but operating it without looking.  Very hard to do, except maybe for taking it out of pause.

This is what I'm wondering about. I just got my JB3 and will be taking it for its maiden taping on Thursday. To record you have to navigate through Record > Line In > Monitor > Change to WAV > press record. Seems like a bit of a pain, especially when the glowing blue display is like a beacon in a dark club. I guess I'll have to take a trip to the restroom, get it set, hit pause, and then find my spot so I can just reach in and take it off of pause. Is that the standard procedure for stealthing with these things?

question for you jb3 users...how long will the unit stay in pause without stopping itself completely?  like, on some dats and md's, you can leave it in pause for about 5 minutes and then it will turn off (of whatever mode you were in)
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline yemncsu

• Taperssection Member
  • Two man enter one man leave!
    • Downhome Groove.com
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2004, 11:32:45 PM »
You can set it up to 30mins before it will automatically shut off.  I use firmware 1.20.06 though I doubt they would change that.
Josh
ADK A-51TL>UA-5>MTII

Offline jeffbr

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2004, 01:05:00 AM »
I just set my standby to 120 minutes and set it up to record, then hit pause. I'm still paused and ready to record after 1 hour and 15 minutes. I'm running the latest firmware.
Mics: Church Audio CA-11, SP-CMC-8 (AT933), SP-CMC-2 (AT831), SP-CMC-20
Pre/Power: PS/2, AD-20, SP-SPSB-2, SP-PREAMP, SP-SPSB-6
Recorder: Edirol R-09HR, Zoom H4, Nomad JB3, Sony MD

Offline Ed.

• FJ Baby!
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2004, 02:05:22 AM »
things i've noticed....

-the green is dimmer than the blue for backlight settings.
-both colors match many cell phone button/backlight colors.  have a friend grab their celly after you set your settings.  they can talk on it or mess with it, drawing attention to them and off of you.  make the cell phone obvious and the goons will leave you alone.
-i'd also set the backlight to be on for the shortest amount of time.

ed

Offline porphyry

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2004, 10:24:56 AM »
well that lit screen actually sounds pretty appealing to an MDer who has to struggle and fiddle around using the light from his cell phone display just to see the MD levels!!

zowie

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2004, 12:03:25 PM »
I think I discovered by accident that if you record a couple seconds and then pause, it may stay in pause indefinitely, regardless of shutdown setting.

I don't know anyone who has one, but isn't there an optional remote?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2005, 08:55:17 PM by zowie »

Offline Crimson

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2004, 10:41:30 PM »
"well that lit screen actually sounds pretty appealing to an MDer who has to struggle and fiddle around using the light from his cell phone display just to see the MD levels!!"

I know my gear well enough to never risk fiddling with levels.  My MD never sees the light of day in the arena/venue...except maybe after the show when I like to flaunt the goods.
"The people in these towns, they're asleep...we wake them up"
We wake them up.  - Ben Hawkins.

mk4>nbox>m1

Offline joemango

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2004, 03:11:12 PM »
It will stay in REC-PAUSE mode indefinitely, from my experience.  You MUST start the record mode and then pause it.  OH, and TURN YOUR HEADPHONE VOLUME DOWN to save power.

Offline mattb

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Yo.
    • Matt's Page
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2004, 07:04:23 PM »
Also, if you run the latest firmware and set it to do seamless recording you could just get it recording in the restroom and forget about it until after the show.
AT933s (C/H/O) > AT8531s > UA-5 > H120 (Rockboxed)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.127 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com