Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: new computer build  (Read 14672 times)

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: new computer build
« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2011, 11:23:00 AM »
If you do get a video card, perhaps you could do a little bit of bit coin mining...
http://www.weusecoins.com/
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2011, 12:32:05 PM »
thanks for everyone's help.  I made my purchase last night.  I ended up going over budget ($830 total), because I ultimately decided to go with a core i7-2600, instead of the core i5.  I figure that with the extra speed, it'll go a little longer before I feel the need to upgrade again.

I'll be putting it together next week.  hopefully I'll be able to figure it all out :)

thanks again,
Jason

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2011, 12:49:36 PM »
Sweet.

I usually go with the top CPU right before the price make a huge jump. Obviously it would be nice to go hog wild, but I feel the same way. Might as well build the best machine you can so it lasts a little longer.

||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2011, 04:15:50 PM »
thanks for everyone's help.  I made my purchase last night.  I ended up going over budget ($830 total), because I ultimately decided to go with a core i7-2600, instead of the core i5.  I figure that with the extra speed, it'll go a little longer before I feel the need to upgrade again.
Congrats, The builds I'm looking at lately seem to be right around $800 without monitor-mouse-keyboard. If you picked the right gear, this box will boot macintosh, if you want! The i7 is definitely compatible.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2011, 12:05:23 PM »
I got the new computer built yesterday, and got it up and running.
Windows 7 64 bit is loaded and everything is running smoothly.

but I still have a couple of minor hiccups to work out.

(1) there are two USB 2.0 ports on the front.  I connected all the cables from the case to the motherboard.  One of the front ports works, the other doesn't.  maybe something is loose on the inside?  any other thoughts?

(2) the case has a front firewire port, but the motherboard doesn't have any firewire.  I left the plug to the front firewire loose on the inside - I assume it's fine to leave it like that?

(3) I don't think the hard drive LED is working on the front of the case.  it doesn't matter much to me, because the hard drive (and everything else) is functioning just fine.  Again, maybe just a loose connection on the inside?  any other thoughts?

thanks again for everyone's help.

- Jason

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2011, 05:30:17 PM »
1. Make sure the plug connectors are facing the correct way on the mobo pins.   Easy to get on backwards because they are usually so damn small.   

2. No problem.   Its not a live wire so it can hang all it wants and won't cause any harm.

3. See #1.   Again make sure you have the LED plug connector attach to the correct mobo pins.

Also congrats on the Core i7.  Best choice you made bar none.

Offline rjp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
« Reply #51 on: July 28, 2011, 11:41:20 PM »
(3) I don't think the hard drive LED is working on the front of the case.  it doesn't matter much to me, because the hard drive (and everything else) is functioning just fine.  Again, maybe just a loose connection on the inside?  any other thoughts?

In addition to the possibility that the LED connector is seated on the wrong pins, it's also possible that the connector is plugged in backwards - if the polarity is wrong, the LED won't light.
Mics: AKG Perception 170, Naiant X-X, Sound Professionals SP-TFB-2
Preamps: Naiant Littlebox
Recorders: Olympus LS-10
Interfaces: Focusrite Saffire Pro 14, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

Offline rePat

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #52 on: July 29, 2011, 02:06:52 PM »
Besides the physical connection, you might check for settings in the Bios, to see if those USB ports can be turned off and on.

My .02

Pat
DPA 4021 >SD MP-2>Sony PCM M10

Church Audio Cardoids>Edirol R-09

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com