Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Merging WAV Files in Audacity  (Read 10441 times)

Offline shownomarcy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Hungarian Metallica fanclub!
Re: Merging WAV Files in Audacity
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2013, 03:50:59 AM »
I have split the files into tracks using cdwave and tried to save at 44100 16bit but keep getting a message saying unable open conversion stream. Any ideas?
And you inserted 24/96 wav files? Maybe Cdwave can export only in the same resolution as imported. Convert to 16/44 first in that case.
I always save the cue sheet in cd wave, that's Very useful! So even if I modify the one wav file later, you can insert the sheet and can split again without double work!
AT853uw mics / ca-14 (omni/card)+ ca-9200 preamp
Edirol R-09HR / Tascam DR-2d
Canon Legria HF S20

Have you taped any Hungarian band? Please contact me! :)
http://www.youtube.com/shownomarcy
https://soundcloud.com/m-rton-sebesty-n-shownomarcy
http://www.dimeadozen.org/account-details.php?id=397210
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/member.php?u=120801

Offline KenH

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2013, 09:41:54 AM »
CDWave only works with 16 bit files (pretty sure).

Once you have the 2 files concatenated in Audacity, you need to convert sample type to 16 bit/44100Hz
In Audacity, Go to Edit -> Preferences.

On the Quality Tab:
Default Sample Rate: 44100 Hz
Default Sample Format: 16-bit
High-quality sample rate converter: High-quality Sinc Interprolator
Real-time dither: None
High-quality dither: Triangle (what I've use in the past).

On the File Formats tab:
Uncompressed Export Format:  WAV (Microsoft 16 bit PCM)

Save.

In the lower left, you see Project Rate.  Set this to 44100.

Then File -> Export as WAV.   This will resample/convert the sample type.

Save the 16/44100 file, and track with CDWave.
retired

Offline sacchini

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2013, 10:21:53 AM »
Which difference compared to Tracks > Resample?

Once you have the 2 files concatenated in Audacity, you need to convert sample type to 16 bit/44100Hz
In Audacity, Go to Edit -> Preferences.

On the Quality Tab:
Default Sample Rate: 44100 Hz
Default Sample Format: 16-bit
High-quality sample rate converter: High-quality Sinc Interprolator
Real-time dither: None
High-quality dither: Triangle (what I've use in the past).

On the File Formats tab:
Uncompressed Export Format:  WAV (Microsoft 16 bit PCM)

Save.

In the lower left, you see Project Rate.  Set this to 44100.

Then File -> Export as WAV.   This will resample/convert the sample type.

Save the 16/44100 file, and track with CDWave.

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2013, 11:37:53 AM »
Slightly OT, but I've been using cdwave to successfully split 24/96 tracks for quite some time -- so I don't think that's the source of your problem.  I then use foobar2000 to resample/dither the tracked 24/96 files (using the SoX plugin) as appropriate.  I find this to be a VERY easy workflow once set up.  foobar2000 can also be used to merge multiple files into a single file -- here's my workflow: 

1) open first 2gb wav in cdwave and track (save tracked files as 24/96 flac). 

2) merge last file cut from first 2gb wav into second 2gb wav using foobar2000

3) open second merged wav in cdwave and track.

4) repeat as necessary

Happy to provide further clarification on my foobar2000 resampling/dithering settings/workflow -- this allows me to keep tracked 24/96 files as masters and create lossy (16/44.1 flac, 48k mp3, 24/48 apple lossless that play on iphone, etc.) versions as needed.

Marshall7

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2013, 03:42:16 PM »

That's wrong, it works perfectly with 24 bit files.

And if you're going to dither and downsample, there are lots of better quality options that Audacity.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 03:44:11 PM by Marshall7 »

Offline Maudy

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2013, 12:40:50 PM »
Hi,

Have recently purchased a new recorder where the WAV files get split at 2gb recording at 24/96.

How do I merge/join/combine the 2 files I have in audacity?

Sorry for the dumb question but I can't figure it out.

Cheers

Try opening them both in their own windows then on the first part do a Transport – Skip to end

Go to the second part and Edit – Select – All
Then Edit – Copy

Return to the first part and Edit Past

I've not used Audacity to do this with my recordings but It seems to work when I just tried it

Duncan

Hi fellow tapers,

This is my first post, so hello to all.

I'm in a similar situation to motr. I've recently purchased a Roland R-05 recorder, and I'm trying to merge/join the files together. I recorded in 24/96 and the recording was split into 3 parts. I've followed Duncan's instructions, that seemed to have worked for motr, but I'm encountering a strange problem. After following the above instructions and waiting for the file to save, I'm left with a 4.61gb file that is only the first 18 mins 59 secs of the recording, the concert was 2 hours 15 mins.

I then went to the faq on Audacity and followed these instructions :-

How do I combine two files into one longer file?

Follow these steps to splice two files together:
1. Import both files into Audacity
2. Select the second one by clicking above the Mute/Solo buttons on its Track Control Panel
3. Choose Edit > Find Zero Crossings
4. Choose Edit > Remove Audio > Cut
5. Place the cursor at the end of the first track by clicking in it then pressing K
6. Choose Edit > Paste.

You can press the green "Play" button to hear the result, and use the File > Export... command to save it as an audio file.

This worked for the first 2 parts, but then when I tried to join part 3 the file I saved reverted back to the above mentioned 4.61gb file at 18 min 59 secs long. Very crazy, but I guess I'm making an error somewhere along the line.

Thanks in advance for any help. I'm feeling very frustrated at the moment. :)

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2013, 11:23:32 AM »
I believe the 4.61gb file size problem you're running into is being caused by a wav file header's inability to recognize a wav file bigger than 4.61gb in size. 

Can you split the combined file in logical places (i.e. track it or split it by sets) so that you can chop the very end of the combined part 1&2 file off and attach part 3 to that?

Offline Maudy

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2013, 11:28:01 AM »
That sounds like a solution. I will give that a go.

Thanks

Lee
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 12:30:27 PM by Maudy »

Offline Ekib

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2013, 03:19:26 AM »
Thanks alchalsey.

Another question, what's the best way to split the files into tracks?

Highlight the area that you want to be a track and like runonce said, control+B, or command+B if you're on a mac.  You can move the track boundaries by clicking the arrows that face inwards at either end of the new track marker that show up underneath the wave form.  If you click the circle it moves the whole track, not just that side.

I did that . However , it still saves the file as one track .
How can I save the seperate area's that I have highlighted ( and used control b ) . For example I have highlighted 4 area's . How can I save them into 4 seperate tracks .
But I have to say, I don’t mind it. I do object when I see people sticking microphones up my nose, in the front row. If I see anyone doing that [laughs] I’m going to have security remove them. Because that’s just obnoxious. But I don’t mind if people come and discreetly at the back make a recording of it. And I know that it’s just for their own use, for the superfan.
(Steven Wilson , interview http://blog.musoscribe.com/index.php/2011/01/25/interview-steven-wilson-on-audience-taping/ )

Offline Wayne Kisbee

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2013, 05:30:11 AM »
Thanks alchalsey.

Highlight the area that you want to be a track and like runonce said, control+B, or command+B if you're on a mac.  You can move the track boundaries by clicking the arrows that face inwards at either end of the new track marker that show up underneath the wave form.  If you click the circle it moves the whole track, not just that side.

How can I save the seperate area's that I have highlighted ( and used control b ) . For example I have highlighted 4 area's . How can I save them into 4 seperate tracks .

If you separate into individual tracks then click file and export multiple iirc. Sure thats what I do.
Roland R-05 recorder with SP-CMC-8 (AT943) mics and SP-SPSB-7 battery module

Offline Ekib

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2013, 05:41:53 AM »
Thanks alchalsey.

If you separate into individual tracks then click file and export multiple iirc. Sure thats what I do.

So you say you simply save each file manually ? Or can you do all at once ?
Thanks !
But I have to say, I don’t mind it. I do object when I see people sticking microphones up my nose, in the front row. If I see anyone doing that [laughs] I’m going to have security remove them. Because that’s just obnoxious. But I don’t mind if people come and discreetly at the back make a recording of it. And I know that it’s just for their own use, for the superfan.
(Steven Wilson , interview http://blog.musoscribe.com/index.php/2011/01/25/interview-steven-wilson-on-audience-taping/ )

Offline Wayne Kisbee

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2013, 08:13:53 AM »
It should do it all in a few clicks Ekib. Once you have split into tracks, the export multiple means it will be saved by doing the commands just once.
Roland R-05 recorder with SP-CMC-8 (AT943) mics and SP-SPSB-7 battery module

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com