Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: TASCAM DR-680 portable 8-track #4  (Read 103012 times)

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: TASCAM DR-680 portable 8-track #4
« Reply #180 on: January 22, 2012, 02:42:55 PM »
Yes agreed.  I've only been about 50% successful in recovering files from a 680 that lost power.  That 50% rate is with files that show 0 (zero) size.  files that are on there but do not show any size have baffled me.  I just don't understand why Tascam won't write their software to do saves on the DR-680 like the HD-P2 does.  I am now posting in every thread on Tascam's Facebook page since they actually deleted my post bitching about this issue.  Be great if some others went to FB and started a bitch session.  Be aware that their page is set to default showing only Tascam post until you click everyone.   

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #181 on: January 22, 2012, 02:44:48 PM »
just don't accidentally leave the AA's in there for any length of time.
\
Yep, they will discharge leaving them dead after a few weeks (?). Even worse, fully discharged batteries quickly become leaking batteries.

Offline Myco

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #182 on: January 23, 2012, 09:29:42 AM »
Yeah, I also put fresh AA's in before every show I head out to, but I run it off of a batterygeek 12V lithium primarily. I just take the AA's out after the night and save them for the next gig since they are seldom called upon for power, but if ever needed, they're a cheap insurance policy that I don't have any dropouts due to power.

As for my earlier comment, let me clarify. I don't trust the 9V dvd batteries, or the Tekkeon's with the varying voltage. I use the batterygeek 12V. That being said, I've never had a 12V rated battery that actually puts out 12V, they're always 11 or greater, but never exactly 12V. The difference between running them at 11V, or as I suspect, somewhere under 9V with the dvd batteries is important in my opinion, although I'm not as knowledgable technically as a few others that have posted here. Seems common sense to me to run the unit at around the specified voltage IMHO, although others may argue that this is not true. Some people who've tried using the alternative sources that I mentioned before have had problems, some have not, but I still say it's like playing Russian Roulette. Why take that chance? The couple hundred bucks you save with going for a cheaper external battery is quickly eaten up by repair costs if the deck fails and you end up spending 2 or 3 times what you've saved.  ;)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 09:31:25 AM by Myco »
Microtech Gefell M200: M20/M21/M27 caps> Bumblebee MiAGi-II/Darktrain silver cable's/"Chuck" Belden cables> Aerco MP-2 or Busman modded DR-680 pre-amps> Darktrain cables & interconnects> Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)
AT853's(card's/hyper's)>AT8533x>Aerco MP-2>Sony M10

Offline hi and lo

« Reply #183 on: January 23, 2012, 10:45:42 AM »
Seems common sense to me to run the unit at around the specified voltage IMHO, although others may argue that this is not true. Some people who've tried using the alternative sources that I mentioned before have had problems, some have not, but I still say it's like playing Russian Roulette.

Myco - I believe Tascam is now on the record about the powering range of the 680 and it's 8v-14v iirc. I still don't trust the Tekkeon's auto-sensing voltage feature, but your typical 9v dvd battery should be fine. My has never caused a problem on the three decks I've had... just the Tekkeon.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 02:26:53 PM by hi and lo »

Offline cleantone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #184 on: January 23, 2012, 01:10:48 PM »
Unit is in hand this afternoon! I've updated to firmware v1.20. I've been reading through threads here and the manual. I'm having a hell of a time using the SP/DIF input. I'm connected SP/DIF out of a V3 to the SP/DIF in on the DR-680. I have the unit set to 24bit 48khz WAV. I have the ST REC set to DIN. I have FILE set to STEREO. In I/O I have the INPUT SEL set to DIGITAL. What is the "best way" to use this a bit bucket two track? Anything jumping out to you folks?

Edit, I guess this DIN setting was my problem. Okay, back to experimenting.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 01:17:08 PM by cleantone »
ISO: your recordings of The Slip, Surprise Me Mr. Davis and The Barr Brothers. pm me please.

Offline bobbygeeWOW

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #185 on: January 23, 2012, 01:27:59 PM »
Hi there,
Mine's been a real trooper for last year or so.
Its basically always got a v3 digi input running, with various other sources/preamps/patches/etc depending on the trip I'm into.

I kept this post around as a reference - apologies I forget who posted it originally.
It covers all the digi options you might want to know about.
(Especially the monitoring if you are recording to channels 7 and 8 ).

Don't forget to deselect any channels that you are not running a signal into, since it will by default record all 8 channels.

Enjoy your new deck!

the I/O setting on the MENU controls how you record the digital input
I have mine set for recording digi in on 7&8:
INPUT SEL : ANALOG
A. OUT SEL : DIRECT
D. OUT MODE : SPDIF

the  DIN MON setting on the HOME/FUNC button will monitor your digital input while recording

also remember to check and see if the LR bullet is showing on the main screen while recording
it's along the bottom of the screen under the meters... 1 2 3 4 5 6 LR

As you note, you can set up the 680 to record digitally on the "ST" channels (it's easier to me to think of these as channels 7 and 8 ), or you can record digitally to channels 5 and 6.

If you are recording to channels 7 & 8, I think you left out the most important part:

To record on 7/8, you need to go the the recording menu off the main menu, and set "ST REC" to "DIN", meaning digital input (as opposed to "MIX", for recording a mix of channels 1-6 on the 7/8 channels).

This is all you need to record digitally on 7/8. According to the manual, if set to "DIN" on "ST REC", on the I/O menu, it will not matter if you select "ANALOG" on INPUT SEL" or if you select "DIGITAL", either way, the 680 will record the analog channels on 5/6, since you have set it up in the REC menu to record the digital channels on 7/8.

I don't think the DIN MON settings or D OUT MODE have anything to do with whether you can record digitally.  They will affect whether you can monitor your digi input channels on the headphone, or output the digi input to the spdif coax output (for a patcher, etc), but I don't think they affect whether you can actually record off the digital input.

For recording the digital input on channels 5/6, the "ST REC" setting on the recording menu must be set to "MIX" (sending the 1-6 mixed signal to 7/8), and then also set on the I/O menu the "INPUT SEL" to "DIGITAL".

thanks Todd
I was on my way out and thought I forgot something
yes... the D OUT does not affect recording
but you have to have the DIN MON on to monitor what you are recording on 7&8
otherwise you have a mix level showing

Yeah I'm not sure if it was this update or the one before it that forced you to reset the Din Mon each time you power up.  I have to remind myself and have panicked when I saw excessive levels, even made adjustments before the DOH! moment and reset the view.  I wish they would go back to the old style when it remains set.   FWIW I just leave the deck set to record digi on 7&8 then I never have to reset it.  Easy enough to turn off channels not being used for recording.

Offline cleantone

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #186 on: January 23, 2012, 02:18:57 PM »
Thanks for that. I'm still a bit confused.

So far the "least" I am able to get to work is to have 3 tracks set to record. Digital input on (mix) 7+8 but I MUST have an analog input "armed" with it. So the least I'm currently able to configure is, one analog and two digital inputs. Three tracks total. At 24bit 48khz this only allows for 75min recording time on a 2GB card. If I were able to cut out that analog channel that I can't seem to deselect, I would have pretty decent recording time for stereo 24/48. Isn't it possible to record ONLY a SP/DIF on 7+8 (or 5+6 if need be) without having 1,2,3,4,5,6 "armed"? In the REC menu I am unable to deselect ALL of 1-6. One of them seems to HAVE to be left "armed". I have a bunch of spare 2GB MicroSD cards. I also have ten 16GB cards, and a 32gb card but they are often used in my video cameras. I'll be picking up something specifically for this unit at some point of course.

Also, am I crazy or can you NOT playback 7+8 from the machine? For example, if I record SP/DIF input on (mix) 7+8, I don't seem to be able to play that back to hear it back through the unit itself. If I hook it up to read the card the track seems fine. I AM able to monitor the input but not afterward.

I'm surprised how many features and functions of this unit have me scratching my head.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 03:52:35 PM by cleantone »
ISO: your recordings of The Slip, Surprise Me Mr. Davis and The Barr Brothers. pm me please.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #187 on: January 23, 2012, 04:08:01 PM »
Mr Wow's post is correct as far as I can tell.

You will need to switch to monitor:DIN instead of monitor:MIX each time you power it up to see your digital input registering on the meters.  That one catches me from time to time.  All other settings should be recalled from whatever they were at shutdown, including analog gain trim and which channels are armed when you hit rec/pause (you can also confirm and/or pre-specify which are armed in the menu).

I also noticed that you have to have at least one analog input armed to record the digital input to the stereo file, but I have not used the unit as a two channel only recorder.  If you only want to record just two channels, try pressing the stereo button on the top face to put the machine in two channel mode first.  I'm pretty sure doing that is also required to use the highest 192kHz sampling rate which is only available in two channel mode.  I do know that pressing that button is required to play back the stereo file from the machine.

Note that on playback you can choose between outputing either the first 6 channels either individually or as a stereo mix determined at playback, or you can press the stereo button and output the stereo channel only, which could either be a mix of the other channels made while recording or a recording made to the digital input and sent to 7/8, but you cannot playback all 8 channels simultaneously.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline cleantone

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #188 on: January 23, 2012, 04:19:58 PM »
Ah! Thanks so much. That sheds some light. I know I'm going to need to make a quick reference sheet. Some of the steps needed are not too intuitive.

You will need to switch to monitor:DIN instead of monitor:MIX each time you power it up to see your digital input registering on the meters.

Yeah, I predict that being an issue for me too. I'll have to remember this for sure!

If you only want to record just two channels, try pressing the stereo button on the top face to put the machine in two channel mode first.

This seems to work. Using DIN on 5+6 I was able to get it down to two channels only. Giving me close to 2hrs on a 2gb card at 24/48. This will be handy. Makes me wish there were a few user preset configurations. I'd love to set up a few configurations for recall.

Note that on playback you can choose between outputing either the first 6 channels either individually or as a stereo mix determined at playback, or you can press the stereo button and output the stereo channel only, which could either be a mix of the other channels made while recording or a recording made to the digital input and sent to 7/8, but you cannot playback all 8 channels simultaneously.

This also worked. This was needed to playback 7+8 on the machine.

All great info! Now if this thing last me a few years (or better) I should be very happy.

Offline hi and lo

« Reply #189 on: January 23, 2012, 04:29:50 PM »
I've used the 680 as only a 2-channel recorder with my AD2k. I think you've already deduced this, but you will need to record to channels 5&6 rather than 7&8 (stereo mix channels).

Offline cleantone

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #190 on: January 23, 2012, 04:52:11 PM »
Indeed. I had basically just made that deduction. I'm still reading through the old threads. I'm wondering if anyone else has a chincy feeling "enter" button? Feels a little sketchy, like it could pop off easily.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #191 on: January 23, 2012, 05:13:31 PM »
Which one? I assume you mean the knob on the front that you press for [enter], not the one in the center of the jog-type wheel on top. 

I had that pop off once.  Found it a couple days later an just pushed it back on.  Still worked without the knob though.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline cleantone

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #192 on: January 23, 2012, 05:34:30 PM »
Which one? I assume you mean the knob on the front that you press for [enter], not the one in the center of the jog-type wheel on top.

Actually, the opposite. The one on top in the jog wheel feels janky on mine.

Offline hi and lo

« Reply #193 on: January 23, 2012, 05:40:37 PM »
The one on the jog wheel popped off the moment I took it out of the box (on unit #3)... I was not amused.

Luckily, it's just a situation where the plastic tabs that hold it in place needed a slight pinch to make it hold in place. It has not popped off since.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #194 on: January 23, 2012, 05:47:14 PM »
Yeah the one on top does feel less than solid in it's click operation, though I never thought about that one popping off.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.092 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com