Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: TASCAM DR-680 portable 8-track #4  (Read 102976 times)

Offline dlh

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: TASCAM DR-680 portable 8-track #4
« Reply #210 on: February 12, 2012, 09:24:35 AM »

also...

i assume i can run my ad2k+ digital in, and then have the whole unit syncd to that clock (set to spdif) and plug in a pair of xlrs (from a sbd feed) at the same time, and all four channels would then be syncd to the ad2k+ clock. is this correct..?

I use a MiniMe to do that and it works fine. In my case I had to run the aes out of the MiniMe through a transformer to SPDIF in on the 680 because the 680 would not lock to higher sample rates from the MiniMe's SPDIF out.  My MTII and PMD671 will lock to the MiniMe's SPDIF out.
I THINK that's unique to the MiniMe.

Dave
480b, 460b, Line Audio CM3, SP LSD2, AT BP4025, SP C4,
MiniMe, MiniMP, AND ANNOUNCING the recent adoption of a Mini-Dac. The little bro's are SO excited  :yahoo:

DR-680, DR-100 MKII, PMD671, fr2LE, MTII

De gustibus non est disputandum.
"It's just this little chromium switch here.  You people are soo superstitious."

Offline mepaca

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
  • taperssection member
« Reply #211 on: February 15, 2012, 08:21:30 PM »

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #212 on: February 15, 2012, 09:01:51 PM »
This unit is now $659 with free case at B&H http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/673541-REG/Tascam_DR_680_DR_680_8_Track_Portable_Field.html

And also being sold w/ free ship on ebay for only around $625 -> I wonder if they are about to come out with a mkII
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #213 on: February 15, 2012, 10:23:46 PM »
would this battery work..?

http://www.batteryspace.com/nimhbatterypack12v4500mahflatpackwith6longmaletamiyaconnector.aspx

asking again 'cos i wanna pull the trigger on the purchase of the tascam, but i need to reliably power her in the field...

thanks, in advance, for any input or insight.

Maybe.

That batterypack doesn't appear to have a voltage regulator built in.  I'd look for one that does, or add one if you are comfortable doing that yourself.  Most of the reported problems with the DR-680 seem to be battery/incorrect voltage related.  9V DVD batteries have built in regulators, protection and charge circuits, and they seem to work well for most (that's all I use), others have had luck with 12V regulated packs which are probably a better bet still.  Stay away from multiple voltage output models that 'auto-sense' the correct voltage. Not critical, but a state of charge indicator is a pretty handy thing to have on a battery pack as well.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 10:25:50 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Grosse_j

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #214 on: February 16, 2012, 05:30:01 AM »
NiMH battery may go up to 14V in fresh charged state, that is higher than 13V spec for DR 680, but slows down after some days through self discharging or under load; that may be the only limit for that battery, but you can use it down to 9V for DR 680. I am using NiMH too but always in conncetion with a voltage multimeter to control the voltage.

For my battery setup I found the following configuration:

- take two sets of NiMH batteries linked together via two switches and two diodes
- start up with first battery set switched on. If voltage drops down to 9v switch on second battery set and switch off first set afterwards. That will give you an uninterruptd supply over the switching process. The two diodes will avoid high "charge" current to the lower voltage battery during switching and on the other hand due to their 0,7 V drop will avoid the 14 V overvoltage.

For my use I built up the following configuration based on that battery power supply solution and realizing a redundant recording via second recording device (as I had two lost sessions through Edirol R 44 failure):

- Mic 1 - 4 goes into an RME quadmic mic amplifier
- Mic 5+6 are connected to Mic input 1+2 of a Focusrite Scarlett 18i6 which runs standalone even if netbook failed and from scarlett output to DR 680 channel 5+6 input
- Quadmic line outputs are devided throug symmetric y-cables to the 4 inputs of DR 680 and Scarlett 18i6
- Scarlett 18i6 runs with a simple netbook for recording via reaper, DR 680 runs in parallel for recording on their SD card
- all devices including batteries are build into a case and connected together - so for recording connect the mics, switch battery set  and devices on and record. Netbook gives you a recording tim of 4-5 h through his Li Ion battery
Gain of DR 680 has to be set to +10 for reaching 0dB in both recording "channels" and in addition you will have good peakmetering through netbook too for both recording channels

This gives you a setup which is easy to use for recording performances f.e. in churches (organ, oratorio,..) indepent of AC supply in the church (which may be instable in older churches) and quick to install  with good recording quality based on the mic preamplifiers in front of the recording devices going directly into both devices - without running throug  internal reording devices AD-DA - and more "security" through "switchable" battery supply andredundant recording.

Best regards
Grosse_j

Offline Myco

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #215 on: February 16, 2012, 08:27:11 AM »
If I were going to go with the company you linked, I'd grab one of these, instead of the lead-acid or NiMH.

http://www.batteryspace.com/Powerizer-LiFePO4-Battery-12V-7.5Ah-96Wh-15A-rate-with-PCM.aspx

Powerizer LiFePO4 Battery: 12V 7.5Ah (96Wh, 15A rate) with PCM, Replace SLA with 5 times longer life

Your Price: $104.99

Voltage  Voltage: 12.8V (working)   14.6 V (peak)  10 V ( cut-off)   Nominal: 12V

Protection: 

One PCM (15A limited) installed with the battery pack and protects the battery from
◦Overcharge       (>14.6V)
◦Over discharge  ( <10 V)
◦Over drain ( >15 Amp)
◦Short circuits
◦Perform balance function. Note: Balancing only takes place after battery pack is fully charged and must wait a min of 30 minutes w/o load connected!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weight  = 990 grams (2.0 lbs 3.0Oz ) -   60.24% less than 12V 7.0Ah Lead acid battery

You could probably power a whole festi with one of these suckers.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 09:36:18 AM by Myco »
Microtech Gefell M200: M20/M21/M27 caps> Bumblebee MiAGi-II/Darktrain silver cable's/"Chuck" Belden cables> Aerco MP-2 or Busman modded DR-680 pre-amps> Darktrain cables & interconnects> Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)
AT853's(card's/hyper's)>AT8533x>Aerco MP-2>Sony M10

Offline Myco

« Reply #216 on: February 16, 2012, 09:30:14 AM »
I don't know anyone who uses the one I linked, I just found it while looking around the site from your link. Looks like it has a built in power conditioner of sorts. Someone would need to chime in though who knows more about the topic to be sure. With an effective voltage range of 8V-14V, I'm not sure if that potential 14.6V peak is a deal breaker or not.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 09:39:26 AM by Myco »
Microtech Gefell M200: M20/M21/M27 caps> Bumblebee MiAGi-II/Darktrain silver cable's/"Chuck" Belden cables> Aerco MP-2 or Busman modded DR-680 pre-amps> Darktrain cables & interconnects> Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #217 on: February 17, 2012, 05:11:14 PM »
This unit is now $659 with free case at B&H http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/673541-REG/Tascam_DR_680_DR_680_8_Track_Portable_Field.html

And also being sold w/ free ship on ebay for only around $625 -> I wonder if they are about to come out with a mkII

Had me thinking the same thing.  That's a pretty significant price drop and makes it pretty obvious that they're trying to clear out stock.

Offline Candace

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #218 on: February 17, 2012, 06:09:36 PM »
Maybe, but not everybody has a big price drop. I tried to get it at Guitar Center since I have a card there, and it was still $1000. Same at Musicians Friend. I don't recall hearing anything about a mk II coming out of NAMM. I think it more likely that maybe B&H isn't going to carry it anymore, and is just blowing it out, so some other vendors are following suit.

Offline yltfan

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #219 on: February 18, 2012, 02:49:54 PM »
In addition to dropping the price of the dr-680, the price of the CS-DR680 is also down to $49 at B & H. Anyone use one of these in the field? Seems totally worth $49
Mics: AT4051, AT4053, KM140, AKG C414, Beyerdynamic MEM86 guns, Nak cm300, AT853 4.7mod
Pre: V3, CA-9100
Recorders: Busman DR-680, iRivers, minidisc, jb3, and DAT

Dime torrents: http://www.dimeadozen.org/account-details.php?id=88009

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #220 on: February 18, 2012, 04:55:04 PM »
In addition to dropping the price of the dr-680, the price of the CS-DR680 is also down to $49 at B & H. Anyone use one of these in the field? Seems totally worth $49

Yes, our deck came with the case through a b&h special. It's not a bad permanent home for the deck, but if you want to remove the deck regularly, it's a bit of a pain. The top pouch should fit a dvd battery nicely, which is its strongest feature imo. The strap is a weak point and potential hazard. It just snaps onto the side screws of the 680 and could pop off in transit. If you expect the strap to be permanently attached, I would recommend gaffering the snap mechanism. Also make sure the side screws on the 680 are properly torqued, because they could become unscrewed.

Offline Myco

« Reply #221 on: February 19, 2012, 06:43:59 PM »

Yes, our deck came with the case through a b&h special. It's not a bad permanent home for the deck, but if you want to remove the deck regularly, it's a bit of a pain. The top pouch should fit a dvd battery nicely, which is its strongest feature imo. The strap is a weak point and potential hazard. It just snaps onto the side screws of the 680 and could pop off in transit. If you expect the strap to be permanently attached, I would recommend gaffering the snap mechanism. Also make sure the side screws on the 680 are properly torqued, because they could become unscrewed.

I second this. I got the case as an add in from B&H. The snaps are cheap plastic and easily break, don't count on them to hold the deck up. The case itself is nice and is a good protector for the deck. My Aerco fits nicely in the top/front pocket also.  ;D
I keep deck in my rakgear bag, so the case just offers some protection against spilling drunks, I don't try to carry the deck over my shoulder using the strap, that would be hazardous unless you tape the clips and check the studs on the deck like it has been recommended here.

Offline yltfan

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #222 on: February 19, 2012, 09:17:29 PM »
^Yeah, I'm just looking at as protection when in use, not for carrying. Can you access everything you need to when it's on there?
Is it worth spending $49 on?
Mics: AT4051, AT4053, KM140, AKG C414, Beyerdynamic MEM86 guns, Nak cm300, AT853 4.7mod
Pre: V3, CA-9100
Recorders: Busman DR-680, iRivers, minidisc, jb3, and DAT

Dime torrents: http://www.dimeadozen.org/account-details.php?id=88009

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #223 on: February 20, 2012, 09:14:44 AM »

Had me thinking the same thing.  That's a pretty significant price drop and makes it pretty obvious that they're trying to clear out stock.

That's $40 less than what B&H was selling it for (with case) a year ago.  I guess that is significant, but doesn't seem that huge a drop to me.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #224 on: February 20, 2012, 05:41:13 PM »
You're right, $40 isn't a big discount but I didn't realize the price on them has been steadily dropping that much.  The last time I saw or checked a price for a DR-680, they were over $800 and there are still vendors trying to move them at that price or higher.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.092 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com