Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: TASCAM DR-680 portable 8-track #4  (Read 102993 times)

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: TASCAM DR-680 portable 8-track #4
« Reply #225 on: February 20, 2012, 08:51:25 PM »
yet the r-44 seems to retail everywhere for ~$1000

I don't own a DR-680 and haven't used one extensively, but acidjack and Gutbucket have and they both have some definite opinions on the two decks stated in a thread HERE.

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #226 on: February 20, 2012, 11:29:54 PM »
HI & LO While I'm not sure I'd agree with your comparison to a Microtracker I am not trying to dismiss what you say only to get an accurate count of what is really going on.

Here is what I've pulled from the latest postings:
680 List  7-Bad  19-Good

01.) BAD        DVD/Tekkeon battery       Darby     
02.) Levels off DVD battery            GAK        repaired and working fine now(reported bad by Hi & Lo)
03.) Bad        ??battery                  Hi & Lo
04.) Bad        ??battery                  Hi & Lo
05.) Good       ??battery                 Hi & Lo
06.) Good       DVD Battery             Kirkd
07.) Good       DVD Battery             Kirkd
08.) Good       DVD Battery             Wookie     (reported good by kirkd)
09.) Good       ?? battery                 Busman      (from thread)
10.) Good       Tekkeon battery        Diamonds
11.) Bad        Energizer battery        Chuck     
12.) Bad         ?? battery                 Chuck      checked at factory clean bill of health no repairs  working fine now
13.) Good       DVD Battery              YLTfan      (from thread)
14.) Good      Tekeon battery           johnmuge
15.) Good      DVD battery               Gutbucket    (from thread)
16.) Good     12volt sled                   DLH
17.) Good      ?? battery                  moodymarco (from thread)
18.) Good     ?? battery                   Myco             (from thread)
19.) Good     12volt                         bobbygeeWOW  (from thread)
20.) Good     ??battery                     bdasilva             (from thread)
21.) Good     was tekkeon                 phil_er_up         (from Thread)
22.) Bad       Tekkeon battery          elihcodoov
23.) Good    Battery Geeks               hardrain62          (from thread)
24.) Good    Battery Geeks               jkbyram              (from thread)
25.) Good     AC power only              cleantone             (from thread)
26.) Good   DVD battery                   dgale                       (from thread)
Would love to hear others chime in so the list can be updated.  Maybe we could even force Tascams hand for full disclosure with a public list like this???
updated 2/20/2012

Offline Myco

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #227 on: February 21, 2012, 08:15:34 AM »
^Yeah, I'm just looking at as protection when in use, not for carrying. Can you access everything you need to when it's on there?
Is it worth spending $49 on?

I dont have a problem accessing anything. I guess it's just personal preferences whether or not someone thinks it's a hassle or not. I haven't had a spill over it yet, but I think it would provide ample protection and would be worth it as an $49 insurance policy. I've already lost an R-44 to beer spillage by a drunk fan and had to buy this 680, so $49 bucks would have saved me about $1000.  ;)
Microtech Gefell M200: M20/M21/M27 caps> Bumblebee MiAGi-II/Darktrain silver cable's/"Chuck" Belden cables> Aerco MP-2 or Busman modded DR-680 pre-amps> Darktrain cables & interconnects> Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)
AT853's(card's/hyper's)>AT8533x>Aerco MP-2>Sony M10

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #228 on: February 21, 2012, 09:27:29 AM »
^Yeah, I'm just looking at as protection when in use, not for carrying. Can you access everything you need to when it's on there?
Is it worth spending $49 on?

I dont have a problem accessing anything. I guess it's just personal preferences whether or not someone thinks it's a hassle or not. I haven't had a spill over it yet, but I think it would provide ample protection and would be worth it as an $49 insurance policy. I've already lost an R-44 to beer spillage by a drunk fan and had to buy this 680, so $49 bucks would have saved me about $1000.  ;)

Cover was bundled with mine from B&H.    Don't even really remember what it looks like without it on since I put it on as soon as I opened the box and have never taken it off since.  It's more a protective cover than a 'case', with everything accessible through openings and a clear cover on the front.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline aysvideo

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #229 on: February 22, 2012, 10:29:33 AM »
So here's a 680 problem I haven't seen discussed, or just haven't looked hard enough.  I bought one last week, and used it for the first time last night....or tried to.  The first card I put in, a 32GB card I've been using in my Edirol R-44, read as invalid on the 680.  I figured perhaps that's because it was formatted for the 44, so I found a 4GB card, Class 8 card, that I popped into the 680 and formatted.  Almost every time I started rolling last night, after a few minutes, the machine would go into pause, the counter would stop, and the display would read something like "writing time out, please press enter."  After pressing enter, the display would tell me the file wasn't written. 

I was powering the deck with the power supply, so I figured it wouldn't be an electrical issue, but after this had happened several times, I pulled the power supply and put in AA batteries (alkaline).  Same problem.  Then, I tried the power supply, while the batteries were loaded and the errors continued happening, although at this point, the deck would roll, and go into pause after about 10-15 seconds, or even sooner.  Out of an hour long concert, I recorded about 3 minutes of music. 

Any ideas on what might have been happening?  The only thing I can think of is that it didn't like the card I was using, because there was something in the manual about using only approved cards, from the list they have online.  My other though is to go to Best Buy, get a card that's on the Tascam list, and try again.  I was running six mics, all phantom powered by the 680, but it didn't appear to be overloading, and the mics sounded fine when I was listening, so unless I'm wrong, I suspect that isn't causing a problem.  I know there are people out there with more experience on the 680 than I have, so if anyone else has encountered this, please let me know.  Thanks.

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #230 on: February 22, 2012, 10:43:35 AM »
What brand, size, and speed of SD Card are you using?

kirk97132

« Reply #231 on: February 22, 2012, 11:43:05 AM »
What brand, size, and speed of SD Card are you using?
What brand since you stated you were using a 4GB class8.  But I have to admit I have not seen class 8 only 6 and 10.  Did yo mean 8GB class4? I have also used some fairly cheap no name cards in the 680 that worked.  Any decent class 4 should be good.  Right now I am using San Disk, Patriot, PNC/Poloriod & Kingston

Offline aysvideo

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #232 on: February 22, 2012, 01:44:29 PM »
I was using a PQI 4GB card....perhaps it wasn't class 8.  The numbers are so small, it's hard to make them out, especially without glasses.  Anyway, I think I'll run to Staples and get a Sandisk, to see if the card is the problem.  If not, this POS 680 is going back.

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #233 on: February 22, 2012, 02:02:55 PM »
I was using a PQI 4GB card....perhaps it wasn't class 8.  The numbers are so small, it's hard to make them out, especially without glasses.  Anyway, I think I'll run to Staples and get a Sandisk, to see if the card is the problem.  If not, this POS 680 is going back.

PQI? There's your problem... I've never even heard of that brand. I will spare you my rant on how crazy it is to use off-brand memory cards.

Stick with Sandisk and you will be solid. This one will work perfectly.

Offline aysvideo

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #234 on: February 22, 2012, 04:05:16 PM »
Thanks.  I'll check it out.  Just bought a Kodak 16GB class 10 at Office Max, so I'll try that, and then do the Sandisk if it doesn't work out.  Turns out the PQI 4GB card I had was class 6.  Seemed to work fine for photos, but I suppose audio is a different ballgame. 

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #235 on: February 22, 2012, 04:10:50 PM »
I've had no problems with modern Transcend class 10- 32GB cards, which were the most cost effective last time I bought a few.  Also no problem with Kingston cards of various size and speeds from 8-32GB (class 4 & 6).
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #236 on: February 22, 2012, 04:21:59 PM »
I've got 1 Kingston and 1 Sandisk (16GB each). Both work flawlessly.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

kirk97132

« Reply #237 on: February 22, 2012, 04:42:42 PM »
I've had no problems with modern Transcend class 10- 32GB cards, which were the most cost effective last time I bought a few.  Also no problem with Kingston cards of various size and speeds from 8-32GB (class 4 & 6).
And another support for the Transcend.

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #238 on: February 22, 2012, 04:47:50 PM »
I've got 1 Kingston and 1 Sandisk (16GB each). Both work flawlessly.

ditto
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline davepeck

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #239 on: February 22, 2012, 09:28:51 PM »
Ok, I give up. How on earth do you disable tracks 5&6 while only recording 4 tracks?? I see all tracks highlighted in the REC menu under Track, but can't select that or do anything there.
Telefunken M60 + TK60 / TK61 / TK62 > Tascam DR-70D

Audio | Video | Photo

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com