Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: TASCAM DR-680 portable 8-track #4  (Read 102992 times)

Offline drewloo

• Friend of Salsa
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • it's recreational
Re: TASCAM DR-680 portable 8-track #4
« Reply #240 on: February 22, 2012, 09:38:50 PM »
menu
rec
track
press 5 and 6 (below the knob) to deselect them

you almost had it

Offline bobbygeeWOW

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #241 on: February 22, 2012, 09:57:54 PM »
I think its easier to enable/disable tracks while in rec/pause mode by pushing the track buttons labeled 1 through 6 and mix.
The round dots under each track indicate whether a track is enabled or not. (and the levels appear/disappear).

Also, I use 16GB and 32GB Lexar brand "Platinum II 60x" cards.

-Cheers!

Offline trimmagnet

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #242 on: February 22, 2012, 11:14:15 PM »
Hi everyone-
Apologies if this has been answered but I have gone through all 4 threads and cannot seem to figure this one out.
I have successfully made an 8 channel recording (using a digital preamp for 7-8) and am trying to figure out how/if it is possible to send out all 8 channels simultaneously and separately to my mixdown system.  I know I need to send 7-8 out digitally and then convert it to analog and then send that into my external mixer but cannot get a feed for those channels that does not include a mix of 1-6 in there as well.
Thanks for the opinions - let me know if I need to clarify the question at all . . .

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #243 on: February 23, 2012, 10:02:32 AM »
Hi everyone-
Apologies if this has been answered but I have gone through all 4 threads and cannot seem to figure this one out.
I have successfully made an 8 channel recording (using a digital preamp for 7-8) and am trying to figure out how/if it is possible to send out all 8 channels simultaneously and separately to my mixdown system.  I know I need to send 7-8 out digitally and then convert it to analog and then send that into my external mixer but cannot get a feed for those channels that does not include a mix of 1-6 in there as well.
Thanks for the opinions - let me know if I need to clarify the question at all . . .

Not possible to play all 8 channels back simultaneously on the machine.  You can play the first 6, either direct-out analog, mixed to stereo analog or mixed to SPDIF; or you can play the stereo file (ch7/8) either analog or SPDIF out, but not both simultaneously.  You'll need to transfer and play them from another source such as a computer to do that.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #244 on: February 23, 2012, 10:07:27 AM »
Ok, I give up. How on earth do you disable tracks 5&6 while only recording 4 tracks?? I see all tracks highlighted in the REC menu under Track, but can't select that or do anything there.
menu
rec
track
I think its easier to enable/disable tracks while in rec/pause mode by pushing the track buttons labeled 1 through 6 and mix.

Both methods work.  The first sets the default configuration the deck enters when you hit record or rec/pause without pressing any other buttons.  The second selects or deselects channels for that particular recording instance only, when the deck is in rec/pause before starting to record.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline bobbygeeWOW

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #245 on: February 23, 2012, 10:08:56 AM »
Ah good to know!

Offline Myco

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #246 on: February 23, 2012, 10:27:29 AM »
I was using a PQI 4GB card....perhaps it wasn't class 8.  The numbers are so small, it's hard to make them out, especially without glasses.  Anyway, I think I'll run to Staples and get a Sandisk, to see if the card is the problem.  If not, this POS 680 is going back.

PQI? There's your problem... I've never even heard of that brand. I will spare you my rant on how crazy it is to use off-brand memory cards.

Stick with Sandisk and you will be solid. This one will work perfectly.

Or Kingston & Lexar. I've never heard of any of these cards failing anywhere. I've had no luck at all with Transcend cards, every one of every size and class I've ever had has failed at some point in time with my Edirol products, so I've never used one in my Tascam. Stay away from Transcend IMHO, regardless of what others say. I think if you do get one that does work it's just shit luck, their quality control and customer service sucks.
Microtech Gefell M200: M20/M21/M27 caps> Bumblebee MiAGi-II/Darktrain silver cable's/"Chuck" Belden cables> Aerco MP-2 or Busman modded DR-680 pre-amps> Darktrain cables & interconnects> Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)
AT853's(card's/hyper's)>AT8533x>Aerco MP-2>Sony M10

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #247 on: February 23, 2012, 10:56:42 AM »
I was using a PQI 4GB card....perhaps it wasn't class 8.  The numbers are so small, it's hard to make them out, especially without glasses.  Anyway, I think I'll run to Staples and get a Sandisk, to see if the card is the problem.  If not, this POS 680 is going back.

PQI? There's your problem... I've never even heard of that brand. I will spare you my rant on how crazy it is to use off-brand memory cards.

Stick with Sandisk and you will be solid. This one will work perfectly.

Or Kingston & Lexar. I've never heard of any of these cards failing anywhere. I've had no luck at all with Transcend cards, every one of every size and class I've ever had has failed at some point in time with my Edirol products, so I've never used one in my Tascam. Stay away from Transcend IMHO, regardless of what others say. I think if you do get one that does work it's just shit luck, their quality control and customer service sucks.

:clapping:

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #248 on: February 23, 2012, 12:50:24 PM »
I had similar problems with an early 16GB Transcend card in my Edirols 4 or 5 years ago which I think didn't conform to the SDHC standard and was weary of trying their newer ones too.  But I tried a newer 32 GB class 10 Transcend card with no problems and now have 4 of them which have been working perfectly in all my Edirol and Tascam recorders for over a year (R09, R44, DR2d, DR-680).  I'm now a converted former Transcend critic.

Edit- I just did 8 channels on the DR-680 and four more on the R-44 to the Trancends @24/48 last night.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 12:52:27 PM by Gutbucket »

Offline trimmagnet

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #249 on: February 23, 2012, 01:04:15 PM »
Hi everyone-

Not possible to play all 8 channels back simultaneously on the machine.  You can play the first 6, either direct-out analog, mixed to stereo analog or mixed to SPDIF; or you can play the stereo file (ch7/8) either analog or SPDIF out, but not both simultaneously.  You'll need to transfer and play them from another source such as a computer to do that.

Thanks for the clarification.  That was the conclusion I got to but I thought I had read somewhere that someone was doing 8 channel playback.  A nice reminder what a great resource this board is . . .

Offline phil_er_up

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #250 on: February 23, 2012, 06:07:45 PM »
What to relate something about me powering the Dr680. I have a tekkeon 3450 with a curly cable that I stretched from the right side of dr-680  to the left side of my bag where the tekkeon sat. The cord streched alittle but I never thought I would pull it out.

So I have stated on this board having problems with the tekkeon powering the Dr-680. Hard to admit BUT I WAS PULLING the curly cord slightly and it pulled out of the tekkeon far enough to stop the dr-680. Now I have put the tekkeon right next the the dr-680 and ran it 20 times and no power issues. So this was a pilot error where I CAUSED THE problem not the dr-680 and the tekkeon.

Maybe others have had this happen to them that is why I am posting this as hard as this is to admit....arggggg.....
Everyday is a gift. Enjoy each one!
Forward motion bring positive results.

Offline davepeck

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #251 on: February 24, 2012, 09:30:57 AM »
Ok, I give up. How on earth do you disable tracks 5&6 while only recording 4 tracks?? I see all tracks highlighted in the REC menu under Track, but can't select that or do anything there.
menu
rec
track

Both methods work.  The first sets the default configuration the deck enters when you hit record or rec/pause without pressing any other buttons.  The second selects or deselects channels for that particular recording instance only, when the deck is in rec/pause before starting to record.

Ok, I think I figured out the issue:

Is it not possible to record to a multi-channel/track WAV with less than 6 tracks on the DR-680?

I have (had) it set to 6ch, and this is apparently why I wasn't able to disable any of them. When I switched to mono and stereo, I was then able to disable the tracks as drewloo described.

Just seems weird that it can record a 6ch WAV, but not a 4ch WAV.

Is that accurate?
Telefunken M60 + TK60 / TK61 / TK62 > Tascam DR-70D

Audio | Video | Photo

Offline Myco

« Reply #252 on: February 24, 2012, 10:24:41 AM »
menu
rec
track

Ok, I think I figured out the issue:

Is it not possible to record to a multi-channel/track WAV with less than 6 tracks on the DR-680?

I have (had) it set to 6ch, and this is apparently why I wasn't able to disable any of them. When I switched to mono and stereo, I was then able to disable the tracks as drewloo described.

Just seems weird that it can record a 6ch WAV, but not a 4ch WAV.

Is that accurate?

If you switch off the 5 & 6 channels you should only get 4 channels recorded Dave. I've recorded only 4 channels on many occassions.
Microtech Gefell M200: M20/M21/M27 caps> Bumblebee MiAGi-II/Darktrain silver cable's/"Chuck" Belden cables> Aerco MP-2 or Busman modded DR-680 pre-amps> Darktrain cables & interconnects> Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #253 on: February 24, 2012, 10:27:21 AM »
I have too, but I never record to single multi-channel wave files, only mono or stereo interleaved.

Offline Myco

« Reply #254 on: February 24, 2012, 10:30:14 AM »
I have too, but I never record to single multi-channel wave files, only mono or stereo interleaved.

Same here.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.095 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com