Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Re: TASCAM DR-680 portable 8-track #5  (Read 102918 times)

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
Re: TASCAM DR-680 portable 8-track #5
« Reply #345 on: August 20, 2013, 07:00:03 PM »
The Tascam DR 680 channels 7 & 8 are not per se recordable, as they are mix down tracks.  I was told I could go digital in to use those two tracks. 

That said, I need a small, inexpensive portable ADC for those two channels for the Tascam DR 680

Suggestions?

A mini-me goes for about $400 these days.
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #346 on: August 20, 2013, 07:21:40 PM »
The Tascam DR 680 channels 7 & 8 are not per se recordable, as they are mix down tracks.  I was told I could go digital in to use those two tracks. 

That said, I need a small, inexpensive portable ADC for those two channels for the Tascam DR 680

Suggestions?

A mini-me goes for about $400 these days.

Wow. I really like the Mini-Me I had.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #347 on: August 20, 2013, 07:39:37 PM »
Patrick,

I had the intermittant gain pumping problem once or twice.  Same answers basicaly as Chuck, except I didn't blow mine up.  :P

Intermittent, presumably heat related, phantom power on (but I was only running phantom channels I in that (or those) cases I think).  Hasn't happend again but I've tried to keep it cooler.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #348 on: August 22, 2013, 01:19:22 AM »
I was also told that the old Sony SBM-1 is used extensively to make the 7th and 8th channels of the Tascam DR 680 functional.   
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline phil_er_up

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #349 on: August 22, 2013, 08:11:27 AM »
Thanks gutbucket and chuck for the answers. Went and bought a new DR680 from SS for 488 includes tax. Arrived yesterday...

That is just over 50 dollars a channel...very inexpensive for that many inputs...

Now I have 2. Might use it for 14 channels or just as a backup.

One thing is I realize I know this deck really well and would be a learning curve on another one.

Thanks again all.

Patrick
Everyday is a gift. Enjoy each one!
Forward motion bring positive results.

Offline Phil Zone

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #350 on: August 22, 2013, 06:07:52 PM »
hi

im looking to maybe get one of these in the future, and have a question. does this unit save as one track with all channels on it or multi tracks on own recordings. and can you save it as one if you want?

thanks guys
Microphones: AKG 460B, 480B, Naiant Actives,CK1,CK61,CK62,CK63, CK69, Busman BSC-1, CA-14
Preamps: Naiant Littlebox, Naiant Tinyhead
Recorders: Zoom F6, Tascam DR-05

LMA Shows: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Cam%20Keough%22&sort=-date

Offline tgakidis

• Trade Count: (552)
    • My Recordings on the Archive:
« Reply #351 on: August 22, 2013, 06:42:01 PM »
hi

im looking to maybe get one of these in the future, and have a question. does this unit save as one track with all channels on it or multi tracks on own recordings. and can you save it as one if you want?

thanks guys

It records seperate tracks (stereo or mono) to a project folder.
GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics:
Schoeps: CMC6 x 4, CMC1K x 2, KC 5G x 2, MK4,MK4V,MK41,MK21,MK22,MK8 x 2
Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+
Telefunken: TF-11 x 2, ELA M 260 x 4, M960FS x 2, TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2, M60,TK60 x2
AKG: c426b, AKG c34, nBob Actives>PFA x4, CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2
AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Pres:
Sonosax SX-AD8+ / Sonosax SX-M2D2 / Sonosax SX-M2 / Lunatec V3
Recs:
Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

Online tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #352 on: August 28, 2013, 09:55:47 PM »
I do not own a 680 yet, but I am considering it as I'm finding myself in situations where I have SBD access more and more often.

Before I sift through all 5 threads/user manual I have a very simple question:

Next weekend I have a local festy where me and my buddy, who just picked up a 680, have access to both the stagebox/snake and SBD. We plan to run his 414's omni on stage into the snake>+SBD>680. I was planning on running my schoeps>722 back by the board where the 680 will be and giving him my SPDIF out of the 722.

Neither of us are at all familiar with the 680 yet. Is the 680 capable of accepting 4 analog sources+my SPDIF feed? I skimmed through the manual and think it is possible. But for some reason he thinks it is not although I'm not sure why he thinks that.

Any thoughts?

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #353 on: August 28, 2013, 10:03:04 PM »
Tim...yes you can record 4 microphones and accept a SPDIF input on the DR680....that said I've never done it...I only have an old AD20 Deneke that will do SPDIF out and I've never wanted to drop down to 16bit or ran out of 6 channels of analog input or mic preamps the DR-680 provides.

This must be heaven -- 'cause here's where the rainbow ends
If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend

Offline lukpac

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #354 on: August 28, 2013, 10:07:21 PM »
I do not own a 680 yet, but I am considering it as I'm finding myself in situations where I have SBD access more and more often.

Before I sift through all 5 threads/user manual I have a very simple question:

Next weekend I have a local festy where me and my buddy, who just picked up a 680, have access to both the stagebox/snake and SBD. We plan to run his 414's omni on stage into the snake>+SBD>680. I was planning on running my schoeps>722 back by the board where the 680 will be and giving him my SPDIF out of the 722.

Neither of us are at all familiar with the 680 yet. Is the 680 capable of accepting 4 analog sources+my SPDIF feed? I skimmed through the manual and think it is possible. But for some reason he thinks it is not although I'm not sure why he thinks that.

Any thoughts?

Not only is it possible, you can do *6* analog sources (mic or line) plus digital in.

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #355 on: August 28, 2013, 10:11:32 PM »
Lupac is correct...6 analog and 2 digital SPDIF channel inputs are the ONLY way to use this as a 8 channel recorder...that it is sold as...

This must be heaven -- 'cause here's where the rainbow ends
If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend

Online tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
« Reply #356 on: August 28, 2013, 10:15:45 PM »
Tim...yes you can record 4 microphones and accept a SPDIF input on the DR680....that said I've never done it...I only have an old AD20 Deneke that will do SPDIF out and I've never wanted to drop down to 16bit or ran out of 6 channels of analog input or mic preamps the DR-680 provides.

Thanks, Hypno. So basically as long as we match bit/sample rate both analog stereo pairs+my SPDIF they will all sync to the same clock? Almost seems too easy.  :laugh:

Offline lukpac

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #357 on: August 28, 2013, 10:20:16 PM »
Thanks, Hypno. So basically as long as we match bit/sample rate both analog stereo pairs+my SPDIF they will all sync to the same clock? Almost seems too easy.  :laugh:

Yes, the 680 will use the clock of whatever is connected to the digital in. You should set the clock on your ADC to the same rate as what you're recording on the 680, although I guess I've never tried a different rate to see what would happen. Presumably either the 680 will automatically use the incoming rate or you'll get an error.

I've never done it, but others have said that you can record the digital input to tracks 5 and 6, which would be preferable to recording on the stereo track.

Online tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
« Reply #358 on: August 28, 2013, 10:29:11 PM »

Yes, the 680 will use the clock of whatever is connected to the digital in. You should set the clock on your ADC to the same rate as what you're recording on the 680, although I guess I've never tried a different rate to see what would happen. Presumably either the 680 will automatically use the incoming rate or you'll get an error.

I've never done it, but others have said that you can record the digital input to tracks 5 and 6, which would be preferable to recording on the stereo track.

Cool. We both record @ 24/48 but will add that to the idiot check while setting up. Thanks for the response gents.

Offline lukpac

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #359 on: August 28, 2013, 10:31:53 PM »
Cool. We both record @ 24/48 but will add that to the idiot check while setting up. Thanks for the response gents.

I would just try a sample run before you even get to the venue. It's honestly pretty easy, but arguably better to get everything figured out and ready ahead of time so you're not fumbling when it's crunch time.

If all goes to plan, I'll be doing a full 8-track recording in a week and a half. Should be interesting.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.193 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com