Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Stealth mics into a JB3? Experiences/opinions wanted  (Read 3314 times)

Offline Bdifr78

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Stealth mics into a JB3? Experiences/opinions wanted
« on: January 23, 2006, 07:18:53 PM »
Hey there everyone.

I have been considering getting some stealth gear but I run a jb3 for the recorder and a V3 for a pre/adc.  There is no way in hell I could stealth the V3 and would be really interested in whether or not you can use the jb3 without a pre for stealth.  So my questions are as follows;

1. Is the jb3s line in also a mic in?
2. I have heard about harddrive noise being audible on the recording when using analog in into the jb3, how bad is this, and would this still be the case with a pair of stealth mics?
3. Say I got a pair of DPA 4061s, would that pull a decent recording into the jb3 without a pre or batt box?

The whole stealth thing is just a maybe at this point since most of what I go and see is open taping, but if I could just buy a decent pair of mics and not have to buy any extra components I would be all over it.

Thanks,
Joe
Neumann KM140s>Bumblebee MIAGI-II XLRs>Lunatec V3>SD722

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Feel brand new about it
Re: Stealth mics into a JB3? Experiences/opinions wanted
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2006, 07:50:14 PM »
Hey there everyone.

I have been considering getting some stealth gear but I run a jb3 for the recorder and a V3 for a pre/adc.  There is no way in hell I could stealth the V3 and would be really interested in whether or not you can use the jb3 without a pre for stealth.  So my questions are as follows;

1. Is the jb3s line in also a mic in?

It triples as such.

2. I have heard about harddrive noise being audible on the recording when using analog in into the jb3, how bad is this, and would this still be the case with a pair of stealth mics?

This seems to be JB3 dependant.  I haven't noticed any issues with mine going ATs > Bbox> jb3...line in, that is

3. Say I got a pair of DPA 4061s, would that pull a decent recording into the jb3 without a pre or batt box?

Go ahead and get a bbox...the SP is like the size of your big toe(not really) and won't take up much space at all.
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline dgodwin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AT4041->Tascam DR-100mkiii
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2006, 07:52:35 PM »
I had trouble with hard drive noise.  It seemed to only do it when running line in AND using external power.  YMMV

Offline audBall

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2006, 07:54:02 PM »
Speaking of JB3 HD noise....does someone have sample?  or is there one already posted on here somewhere?

Offline dgodwin

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2006, 08:05:20 PM »
Speaking of JB3 HD noise....does someone have sample?  or is there one already posted on here somewhere?

Here's what I call jb3 noise.  This is from the beginning of a set, so I boosted the levels 20db before converting to mp3.  In a loud rock show, you may not be able to hear it, but even still, it bugs the heck out of me.

http://www.dgodwin.com/jb3.mp3

Offline audBall

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2006, 08:14:30 PM »

Here's what I call jb3 noise.  This is from the beginning of a set, so I boosted the levels 20db before converting to mp3.  In a loud rock show, you may not be able to hear it, but even still, it bugs the heck out of me.

Holy crap....That might make me throw my jb3 out the window.  I've noticed some split-second artifacts in the past but I think it was due to the opti cable getting bumped, as I think my opti jack solder connection might be getting iffy.  I've never encountered anything that audible.  Surprising, cuz my jb3 looked like it had a rough life when I bought it used.
Thanks for posting this, dgodwin.

Offline dgodwin

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2006, 08:53:43 PM »
no problem.  Like I said though, I traced the problem to using an external battery pack (walmart dvd battery -> Homemade VR box) and line-in only.  Digital in had none of these problems. 

Roving Sign

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2006, 09:10:49 PM »

Surprising, cuz my jb3 looked like it had a rough life when I bought it used.
Thanks for posting this, dgodwin.

hah - same here - I got the one I use the most on ebay for 8 bux!!! - A quick trip into rescue mode and its been working ever since...But the thing looks like it was dragged behind a car!!!

Offline jeromejello

• Team Florida - always brings the heat
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • surly tapir
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2006, 11:55:24 PM »
i have successfully stealthed several shows with my at853s > spsb-7 > jb3 combo (as i am sure many others have as well)
(and a couple of shows open with the same set up)

i never had an issue with hard drive noise... but both of my jb3's were NIB, non refurbished units.

my biggest complaint was lack of clean gain... which could be solved with some transformers if necessary.  you lose some of the dynamic range b/c the volume is so low, but you can bump it in post if its really bad.

even with the dpa's you will still need a battery box to power the mics running them into a jb3.
open: mbho 603a (ka200n/ka500hn) > SD MP-2 > PCM-M10
stealth: AT853a (o/sc/c/h) > SD MP-2 > ihp120
misc: Earthworks SR77 | Shure VP88

bt & dime

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.058 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com