Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Best Computer Specs for .Wav editting  (Read 5925 times)

Offline cyfan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • It's not personal
Best Computer Specs for .Wav editting
« on: September 04, 2009, 09:23:18 AM »
Sorry if this is covered someplace here. I looked around first and couldn't find anything.

I currently do most of my mastering on a very old Compaq using Cool Edit Pro 2.0 and many of my recordings are 8-10 channel multi-tracks. It takes quite a bit of time to mixdown a longer recording, which I assume has something to do with the abilities of my PC (vs. the software).

So my question is, what should I be looking for in a new PC to speed this up. Are there certain processor specs that tie into this? RAM? I'm a bit dense in this area.
Superlux HK8 > Edirol UA-5 > JB3
Multi-tracker: Fostex VF 160 EX

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
Re: Best Computer Specs for .Wav editting
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 09:41:13 AM »
You're going to want to look for a multi-core processor of some sort. I think the Quad Core Intel CPU's are the best right now. The AMD CPU's are a bit cheaper, but reviews seem to say they lag behind in performance.

Also...more memory is your friend. To run the max amount of memory you're going to want to run a 64 bit OS. I think many computers you can buy today will have the option to get Vista 64 Bit and then upgrade to Windows 7 (or you can just wait until the end of October and skip the whole upgrade which can sometimes cause problems). A 64 bit OS will allow you to run more than 3.5 GB of memory.

I currently run this setup for my wav editting duties:

2Ghz Dual Core Celeron (upgrading to a 2.8 Ghz Quad Core Intel CPU this week)
8GB DDR2 Memory
Windows 7 64bit

It works pretty well. I recently upgraded from an older single core system with 2GB of memory. Huge difference in processing time and writing of files.

I build my own computers so I'm not sure on what brands are good now. Maybe someone else can suggest that, or you do have the option to build your own. It's very easy.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline cyfan

• Taperssection Member
  • It's not personal
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 10:37:19 AM »
^^^^
Thanks Mike. Excellent info.
It will be a few months before I pull the trigger, so I'll probably be going the Windows 7 route (managing to skip Vista entirely). I've thought about having a guy locally who handles my PC repairs build me one. I'm also pondering adding an ADAT soundcard to the system, which should dramatically improve my current process of transfering files from my recorder to the PC.

Now if I can scrounge up some $$$$ and shit around my house would quit breaking.
Superlux HK8 > Edirol UA-5 > JB3
Multi-tracker: Fostex VF 160 EX

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 11:30:25 AM »
Since your current system is not a super computer, anything above that will be a noticeable increase in speed and processing for you.
I say go to tiger direct and check out some barebones systems with good processors and large hard drives. They may not have  a cooling fan but that's hardly costs anything.

I'm planning to do just that and use windows xp pro 32 bit OS. If I can't do it in 32 bit with a couple to three gigs of RAM, oh well.

So while you're saving your money, check out the barebones systems from time-to-time and I think you'll be pleased to find something without breaking the bank!
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 01:52:02 PM »
You're going to want to look for a multi-core processor of some sort. I think the Quad Core Intel CPU's are the best right now. The AMD CPU's are a bit cheaper, but reviews seem to say they lag behind in performance.

Also...more memory is your friend. To run the max amount of memory you're going to want to run a 64 bit OS. I think many computers you can buy today will have the option to get Vista 64 Bit and then upgrade to Windows 7 (or you can just wait until the end of October and skip the whole upgrade which can sometimes cause problems). A 64 bit OS will allow you to run more than 3.5 GB of memory.

I currently run this setup for my wav editting duties:

2Ghz Dual Core Celeron (upgrading to a 2.8 Ghz Quad Core Intel CPU this week)
8GB DDR2 Memory
Windows 7 64bit

It works pretty well. I recently upgraded from an older single core system with 2GB of memory. Huge difference in processing time and writing of files.

I build my own computers so I'm not sure on what brands are good now. Maybe someone else can suggest that, or you do have the option to build your own. It's very easy.

what music software packages do you use that is 64bit compliant? remember, all hardware would need 64bit drivers to work on a 64bit OS including audio interface, etc...
I do my audio work in the Mac world so I dont know the 64bit status of Windows offerings.

the water's clean and innocent

Offline ghellquist

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2009, 06:21:32 PM »
Hi cyfan.

Sorry to say, but you have not been given very relevant advice here.

Audio work is really rather simple for a modern computer and does not require very much resources when you compare to editing video or running some games. So basically any modern computer will do. Things has really changed over the last few years.

Audio programs generally do not rely on a lot of RAM memory. Instead they work directly towards the hard disks. The exception is samplers (a special kind of software instruments) that will run faster if there is available memory.

So what you want to look for is a decent computer with decent hardware. Nowadays that generally means a dual core CPU and 2 or 3 Gigs of memory. You will like decently fast harddiscs but 7200 rpm really is enough unless you go above, say, 30 channels.

Do check carefully if your software will run on the new operating system, far from guaranteed. Seems like it is getting more or less impossible to find XP systems nowadays, most are Vista. And it can be difficult to downgrade to XP while some programs simply does not run in that environment. Vista is fine though, works for just about anything if set up with some care. But again, not all programs runs under vista.

If you have a good sound card already you might want to take that to your next computer. Not all computers has the older type of bus where you can put the card ( called PCI, as opposed to the more modern PCI-express ). Not all of these cards has drivers available for Vista either.

Next thing is that you probably would want to be future proof. As always, more memory and faster processor is better. But the bleading edge stuff is always bleeding edge expensive as well. You have to make the balance there somehow. My experience though is that it often is non-economic to buy more than you need right now. In a few years time the difference in cost between "enough" and "future-proof" will buy you a completely new system with a lot more capacity.

As for 64 bit OS, there is not really that much to talk about. Currently very few applications can take advantage of it, very few hardware systems really support it, and you rarely do need it. This might of course change over time, but currently it is bleeding edge.

// Gunnar
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 06:25:21 PM by ghellquist »

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2009, 08:44:39 PM »
I'm definitely NOT a computer guy, but have been using CEP 2.1 for many years on really low power laptops to medium power desktops, and now to a Lenovo dual 1.6G Vista 3 gig ram 32 bit desktop system.  CEP runs fine on any Windows OS reliably with speed the only major difference.

Having 2 hard drives is best option for fastest processing regardless of system power.  One main C drive is for software programs and another is for storing/working/2nd temp audio files.

With what I have experienced and heard from software technicians, best to stay away from 64 bit OS for being a 'can of worms' for those of us not software gurus or with absolute need for 64 bit processing power.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2009, 09:40:32 PM »
With what I have experienced and heard from software technicians, best to stay away from 64 bit OS for being a 'can of worms' for those of us not software gurus or with absolute need for 64 bit processing power.

References to the above statement?     

The fact of the matter is that a 64 bit OS can run 32 bit programs just fine.  There are starting to become more and more audio editing programs out there that use and benefit from a 64 bit OS.   As for a 'can of worms' I suspect that is from someone who really has no idea about a 64 bit OS.    Currently i'm running the 64bit version of Windows 7 and have ABSOLUTELY NO COMPATIBILITY PROBLEMS with any software 64bit or 32 bit.   

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2009, 02:20:31 AM »
Sorry if this is covered someplace here. I looked around first and couldn't find anything.

I currently do most of my mastering on a very old Compaq using Cool Edit Pro 2.0 and many of my recordings are 8-10 channel multi-tracks. It takes quite a bit of time to mixdown a longer recording, which I assume has something to do with the abilities of my PC (vs. the software).

So my question is, what should I be looking for in a new PC to speed this up. Are there certain processor specs that tie into this? RAM? I'm a bit dense in this area.

I do a lot of multi-track audio work.

Any Core 2 Duo E8400 or E8500 [these are dirt cheap and very fast] or i7 920 PC is going to smoke at audio editing. I'd pop over to DELL and see what deals they have. It's not cost effective to get an i7 940 at the moment.

Get at least 2 GB ram to keep the OS (and Vista) running smoothly. I don't think you can buy a PC these days with less than 2 GB. You will also end up with Vista 64 bit probably and Microsoft is giving free upgrades to Windows 7, so you should be ok there too.

For example

Core 2 Duo E8400 system...

http://www.dell.com/us/en/home/desktops/xpsdt_630/pd.aspx?refid=xpsdt_630&s=dhs&cs=19&~oid=us~en~29~xpsdt_630_anav1~~

i7 920 system

http://www.dell.com/us/en/home/desktops/desktop-studio-xps-435/pd.aspx?refid=desktop-studio-xps-435&s=dhs&cs=19&~oid=us~en~29~performance-deals_anav_03~~

digifish
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 08:29:32 AM by digifish_music »
- What's this knob do?

Offline ghellquist

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2009, 05:43:43 AM »
The fact of the matter is that a 64 bit OS can run 32 bit programs just fine.  There are starting to become more and more audio editing programs out there that use and benefit from a 64 bit OS. 

But...

1) the only time the audio program will benefit from more memory is when you run software samplers. Not when you simply edit .wav files. Do a check on memory usage on your system and you will find this confirmed.
1b) it might be that a 64 bit system happens to run disc operations ( or whatever ) faster , but it sure is not guaranteed on every type of computer.

2) if you want to use a good sound card, a lot of the currently availabe ones does not support 64 bit OS-s. Several do, but not every one. This will of course change with time, but we are talking now.

Conclusion: for edititing of .wav files chances are that a 64 bit OS is more of a problem than adding performance. For now that is. In a few years time, things will have changed.

// Gunnar

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2009, 10:03:19 AM »
Conclusion: for edititing of .wav files chances are that a 64 bit OS is more of a problem than adding performance. For now that is. In a few years time, things will have changed.

As a current and future 64bot OS user we'll just have to agree to disagree.  In real world usage while using the majority of preferred audio editors of this forum I have not once encountered a single problem in any way related to running a 64bit OS.   

No need to scare people that they may or may not have problems when that simply is not the case.

Offline jackmf

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2009, 12:37:29 PM »
I've been running 64 bit for 3 years now (XP Pro x64) and have had no software problems, even with the free stuff. Now getting printer drivers 3 years ago - that was an issue.
Busman Audio BSC1>Busman HD-P2 (for sale) or PMD661

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2009, 06:30:10 PM »

References to the above statement?     

The fact of the matter is that a 64 bit OS can run 32 bit programs just fine.  There are starting to become more and more audio editing programs out there that use and benefit from a 64 bit OS.   As for a 'can of worms' I suspect that is from someone who really has no idea about a 64 bit OS.    Currently i'm running the 64bit version of Windows 7 and have ABSOLUTELY NO COMPATIBILITY PROBLEMS with any software 64bit or 32 bit.   

My comment should have been limited to Vista 64 bit only which is my 64 bit issues experience.  Not that I run 64 bit Vista, but everytime I have to talk to a software tech about running Vista with anything, they start stammering about making sure I'm NOT rinning 64 bit Vista, so I've gotten the notion 64 bit Vista is trouble.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2009, 08:27:36 AM »
My comment should have been limited to Vista 64 bit only which is my 64 bit issues experience.  Not that I run 64 bit Vista, but everytime I have to talk to a software tech about running Vista with anything, they start stammering about making sure I'm NOT rinning 64 bit Vista, so I've gotten the notion 64 bit Vista is trouble.

Mainly due to the lack of hardware drivers for it.

If you are buying a new PC nowadays I'd recommend you go for the 64 bit version, it will be Windows 7 64 bit with your free upgrade from Vista. Nothing to be scared of if you buy a PC new and working from a reputable vendor.

Putting Vista 64 bit on an older PC where you have to go update all the (possibly non-existent) drivers is indeed something to stammer at.

digifish
- What's this knob do?

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2009, 08:37:32 AM »

But...

1) the only time the audio program will benefit from more memory is when you run software samplers. Not when you simply edit .wav files. Do a check on memory usage on your system and you will find this confirmed.
1b) it might be that a 64 bit system happens to run disc operations ( or whatever ) faster , but it sure is not guaranteed on every type of computer.

All 32 bit applications can address a maximum of 2 (3 GB with a bit of OS trickery), a 32 bit number only has so many possibilities (addresses).

Where having lots of physical RAM helps is in the allocation of all the processes running on the PC. While you may have 2 GB of RAM, if you have 4 programs running there may be 12 GB of memory address space allocated by the OS. If you don't have 12 GB then it's likely most of those memory allocations will point to a page file (hard drive posing as RAM), which can slow things down.

Since 32 bit OS can only deal with 4GB of RAM then that's about your lot. So a 64 bit OS that can support a max of 128 GB (not as much as you may expect due to HW limitations, theory = 16 billion GB! :) ) with 8 GB installed (for example) means that you stand a greater probability that any allocated address space points to physical RAM rather than a page file, and that = faster.

In practice a 32 bit OS and 64 bit OS are likely to be about the same when it comes to basic audio editing...except for the case where you have a 64 bit OS and application so you can break the 2 GB file limit and keep editing. This can be important with large audio files being processed at 32 bit float. Take a 700 Mb recording and start doing some processing on it  in 32 bit float and it can grow alarmingly.

That said I don't own any 64 bit audio editors yet.

However I think this is all moot. Buy a new PC today and you are guaranteed to get Windows 7, 64 bit and it will all work. So why not go the 64 bit route?

digifish

« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 08:43:46 AM by digifish_music »
- What's this knob do?

Offline ghellquist

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2009, 08:23:45 AM »
To be very clear, I only advocate a bit of caution here.

This can be important with large audio files being processed at 32 bit float. Take a 700 Mb recording and start doing some processing on it  in 32 bit float and it can grow alarmingly.

Sure. But audio editors do not work by reading the file into memory and then processing it. They might in the future. But today they read a small chunk from disc and then writes it back to disc before starting with the next chunk. Editing wave files on my PC consumes less that 512mB of RAM memory, regardless of the size of the wave file. This is the reason why the current crop of pure audio editors gain very little if anything on a 64 bit OS. Next version, might change things, but it will not be free to upgrade to next version.

However I think this is all moot. Buy a new PC today and you are guaranteed to get Windows 7, 64 bit and it will all work. So why not go the 64 bit route?

Because my sound card does not work with Windows 7 in 64 bit as the manufacturer has not yet made drivers available. Because my sound editor has not been shown to work with Windows 7 ( it might, who knows ) as I do not want to spend money on upgrading the software right now. Just beeing conservative I guess.

// Gunnar

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2009, 12:04:47 AM »
To be very clear, I only advocate a bit of caution here.

This can be important with large audio files being processed at 32 bit float. Take a 700 Mb recording and start doing some processing on it  in 32 bit float and it can grow alarmingly.

Sure. But audio editors do not work by reading the file into memory and then processing it. They might in the future. But today they read a small chunk from disc and then writes it back to disc before starting with the next chunk. Editing wave files on my PC consumes less that 512mB of RAM memory, regardless of the size of the wave file. This is the reason why the current crop of pure audio editors gain very little if anything on a 64 bit OS. Next version, might change things, but it will not be free to upgrade to next version.

Because my sound card does not work with Windows 7 in 64 bit as the manufacturer has not yet made drivers available. Because my sound editor has not been shown to work with Windows 7 ( it might, who knows ) as I do not want to spend money on upgrading the software right now. Just beeing conservative I guess.

// Gunnar

These are all reasonable, but the OP was discussing the purchase of a new machine I thought?

BTW: Even when editing wav files that are being chunked from disk, it doesn't circumvent the 2/3 GB program limit. So if you run out of memory address space (which I have in various programs from time to time manipulating large files), you will get errors.

digifish
- What's this knob do?

Offline bhtoque

• Trade Count: (3)
  • So much music, so little time.
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2009, 12:22:36 AM »
Couple quick bits to add.

1. Dump CEP. It IS slow. I switched to Sound Forge and noticed a big difference on the same hardware.

2. Don't get a system with less than 7200 rpm sata drives. As was already mentioned audio work is much more hdd than ram intensive

3. You'll get better results using multiple drives. Keep the apps and audio on seperate drives and make sure to allocate plenty of space for your audio aps buffer

JAson
MG 200/210/270
AKG c422>s42>Hydra silver interconnects
AKG 391/92/93>MK 90/3 actives
>AM Hyper-Conductors
Studio Projects LSD2>MiAGi II
>Edirol R-4 (Oade T Mod)

db.etree.org/bhtoque

Offline mmedley.

• is on a salty highway burning up a lucky streak
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • CAR RAMROD
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2009, 12:25:06 AM »

I think it is funny that people think that 64bit OS's are these awesome huge speed increasing demons.

The only benefit of a 64bit operating system is memory access and more memory registers. That's it. You are not going to get this huge speed increase...actually, you might even see decreased performance. Anyone who tells you differently is lying. When software is written exclusively for 64bit architecture you *might* see a slight performance increase. Ask any major software developer and they will agree. 32bit compilers are still not even close to being maximized for performance, let alone 64bit compilers. It will be several years before 64bit compilers will be optimized to take advantage of pure 64bit processing and even then only marginal performance boosts are expected.

Point is, 64bit will not be any faster than 32bit for, at minimum, the next few years....and certainly will not be any faster than what you are using now. Add to that support for 64bit drivers and hardware compatibility to take advantage of these benefits and you have one big mess.
I don't know just where I'm going
But I'm gonna try for the kingdom, if I can

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2009, 12:37:04 AM »
1. Dump CEP. It IS slow. I switched to Sound Forge and noticed a big difference on the same hardware.

Off-topic, I know, but wanted to chime in on the above comment...

FWIW, I found CEP/Audition slow, too, and experienced significant speed improvements (with the same or better quality results) when I switched to Samplitude SE.  I've always found CEP/Audition's UI the most intuitive for me, but I didn't particularly care for the less-than-ideal workflow (again, for me) and slow speed.  Love the Sam SE workflow, even if my learning curve was a bit slower than CEP/Audition.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.152 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com