Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Advice on active monitor sepakers for home studio?  (Read 2959 times)

Offline colargol

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Regular
Advice on active monitor sepakers for home studio?
« on: January 26, 2014, 03:33:33 PM »
Hi!

I was thinking I should get some proper studio monitors for my home studio. I tried to look for threads on this subject, but couldn't find any. Does anyone have some advice?

-colargol
MK4s/MK41s > nbob actives > tinybox/babynbox > M10/A10

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Advice on active monitor sepakers for home studio?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 06:31:44 PM »
There have been a few threads for monitors -both active and passive- including this one: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=149804.0

Also some problems reported using the search function so I suggest reading and following Brian's suggestions from this post ( http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=165801.0 ) if you want to find more threads on the topic.

Offline colargol

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 03:38:30 AM »
There have been a few threads for monitors -both active and passive- including this one: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=149804.0

Also some problems reported using the search function so I suggest reading and following Brian's suggestions from this post ( http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=165801.0 ) if you want to find more threads on the topic.

Thank you  :)

Offline colargol

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 08:11:32 AM »
I ended up getting a pair of KRK VXT6, so far they seem like a very good choice...  :D

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 11:24:41 AM »
Saw this thread too late, but for future reference, one of the challenges with external speakers is that the acoustics of the room in which you're listening can throw your EQ settings off.  If you EQ to the room you're listening in, your recording may not sound right when you playback on another system in another space. 

If your mixes are consistently off on other playback systems, you may end up having to do acoustical measurements of your space (google Room Equalization Wizard) and try to tune it with acoustical treatment.

Mixing on a very good set of headphones has its own set of challenges, but can be an easier path in the long run if you can master the method. 

Seems to be no end to it all. 

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 11:41:26 AM »
Mixing on a very good set of headphones has its own set of challenges, but can be an easier path in the long run if you can master the method. 

I do not disagree with this.

Two caveats you will need to address:
1) Finding neutral headphones that have a similar frequency response of monitors (this eliminates like 95% of excellent headphones IME). Most headphones are anemic or at least shy compared to monitors under 150hz, but some will exhibit a better response under 50hz (until you use #2 below and hear it canceled out in the fold down).
2) Pick up a good VST of a room emulator and learn how to tune it to mimic a studio setup. The easiest way I found was to visit a studio for an hour and listen to some material on their monitors, then tweak the settings in my plugin to get the settings right.

That gets you 3/4ths of the way there, and the rest is just learning where deficiencies are in your setup as they compare to other monitor setups and learning how to compensate for them without damaging your end result. That took me maybe 50-75 hours of mixing and reviewing to get passably good at.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline tooldvn

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Music is the movement of sound to reach the soul.
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 02:27:30 PM »
I picked up a pair of Alesis M1 MKII active monitors and have really enjoyed them.  They are really cheap on Amazon now compared to what I originally picked them up for.  Won't break the bank and I think they do a really good job. 

http://alesis.com/m1activemkii
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 02:29:14 PM by tooldvn »
DPA 4061²  &  AKG 61/63

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.088 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com