Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Problem joining WAV files in Audition  (Read 3083 times)

Offline Ziggz

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
Problem joining WAV files in Audition
« on: March 01, 2014, 05:11:50 PM »
I just used AA3 to join 2 M10 files together and there's a microgap in the file! Dropped them into Soundforge and it came out seamless. Now I'm wondering how many other files I've joined and didn't check at the time  :facepalm:

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Problem joining WAV files in Audition
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 02:32:46 PM »
I just used AA3 to join 2 M10 files together and there's a microgap in the file! Dropped them into Soundforge and it came out seamless. Now I'm wondering how many other files I've joined and didn't check at the time  :facepalm:
my quess would be that you didn't have it aligned correctly.  I have used AA3, cs5.5 and never an issue of joining even when I zoom wave form in as far as possible.  I would check you snapping settings.

Offline Tom McCreadie

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 09:49:09 AM »
...and I had to redo my PC since cool edit doesn't run under windows 7 and caused me all kind of problems...

Which Cool Edit version was that?
My CEP2.1 runs fine in Win7x64 Home Ed. SP1...alongside AA2,  AA3 and AA CS6.

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 01:34:35 PM »
my quess would be that you didn't have it aligned correctly.  I have used AA3, cs5.5 and never an issue of joining even when I zoom wave form in as far as possible.  I would check you snapping settings.

Same experiences as kirkd and I've been using Audition since it was CEP.  Absolutely check the "snap to" settings and make sure they are not enabled.  Something like that could definitely cause the microgap issue you're having.

Offline Ziggz

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 08:54:07 PM »
I took a look and these were on:
Snap To Markers
Snap To Ruler (coarse)
Snap To Frames

Switched them off and there's still a tiny little click at the join.

Offline nassau73

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 09:07:12 PM »
It might be a pain in the butt, but have you tried highlighting the minute click and doing an auto heal?

It's not an elegant solution but as I learned when I worked with some legacy database software in the past, sometimes you deal with the limitations.

Personally, I have not heard any clicks when I join my files and I'm using Audition 3.0 with winXP sp3.

kirk97132

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2014, 09:36:55 AM »
I took a look and these were on:
Snap To Markers
Snap To Ruler (coarse)
Snap To Frames

Switched them off and there's still a tiny little click at the join.

I would not auto heal it that won't remove the zero level. 

I looked at your screen shot and from what I see there it looks like you are not zoomed in very far.  But if that is an export of your joined files I have to say it just looks like you did not align things correctly.  And I do not work the same as Fried CB.  I do use snapping and I have it enabled to Snap to clips and snap to ruler(fine).  This means that it can automatically line up on those marks without me having to worry about zooming in to get it exactly right.  Then I can work with a file zoomed out far enough to see an hour or two yet get a perfect alignment. 

Couple of questions....
Have you looked at your two files to see if that flat zero line is on the end of part one or the beginning of part two?   

Two have you tried zooming your wave form in more and then aligning it and/or align it then zoom in and verify it is perfectly aligned before you do an export?

IS this your first time aligning files in Audition?  If so then maybe you are not using the marker exaclty right causing that gap?  It's been a while since I used AA3 but in ver4(CS5.5) as I drag the files together there is a white line that turns yellow as they align perfectly.  BY having snapping enabled I just get it very close and then it kind of jumps(snaps) into perfect alignment.  Hope some of this helps you out but I can assure you the software does perfect alignment even if you zoom down to the .0001 second readings

Offline Ziggz

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 03:54:36 PM »
I do things the same way as in SoundForge, which looks quite different to your description. Open the 2 files, trim the crowd at the start of #1, press "End" or CTRL "End" to get to the end of the wav, copy file 2, and paste into 1. I will have a go later with 2 different files.  Here's the samples of the join in SF and AA:
https://www.mediafire.com/?9h8txs61a3ghdb4
http://www.mediafire.com/listen/y32bfhbh7s5cf83/SF.wav
(Go for the download rather than play - it's super-compressed by Mediafire).

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2014, 05:37:44 PM »
Have you tried "Open Append"? Open the first file, go to File > Open Append, then choose the second file. I have never gotten a gap that way, but maybe I was just lucky...

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2014, 05:48:03 PM »
Have you tried "Open Append"? Open the first file, go to File > Open Append, then choose the second file. I have never gotten a gap that way, but maybe I was just lucky...

Absolutely this ^^^. 

Open file one.  Do whatever to that (or nothing).  Open Append part 2 or more.  No need to worry about aligning/editing, markers, snapping, or anything else.  Always joins exactly the beginning to exactly the end of whatever you append to. 

If you still have a gap what sort of recorder are you using?  Some say that certain recorders put a skip in when they go to another file during recording. 
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

Offline Ziggz

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2014, 08:08:02 PM »
Ok, I tried the Append, and WTF  ;D Some strange brickwalling appears. I think I might stick with the freebie Soundforge that came with my M10.

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2014, 01:50:36 AM »
Ok, I tried the Append, and WTF  ;D Some strange brickwalling appears. I think I might stick with the freebie Soundforge that came with my M10.

I dunno what y'all are doin'  :banging head:  but I've never seen or heard any o' that sort o' stuff... 

I guess if one has something that works roll with it...   :facepalm:
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

Offline Ziggz

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2014, 03:54:01 AM »
There must be something not quite right with those files. Tried another show, pasting at the end, and it's perfect.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.127 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com