Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Amplification while Minimizing Noise  (Read 1711 times)

Offline tapeworm48

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm running a dojo of coolness...
Amplification while Minimizing Noise
« on: April 12, 2014, 03:06:36 PM »
I'd like to amplify the levels on a tape I made 8 years ago.  It looks like levels peak at -14. 

The concert was recorded on a Sony D100 DAT recorder.

Master DAT transferred Sony R300 > Digi Coax > M-Audio Fast Track Pro > USB > Audacity @ 48kHz.

Any suggestions for how to accomplish amplification without adding to much noise/hiss?  Or what is the max amount of dB's suggested that this should be raised?  I'm aware of the Amplification feature in Audacity but I fear just amplifying it 14 dBs will introduce noise.

Thanks in advance.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn... We F**ked Up."

Schoeps MK4s / AT831s / DPA4061s
Nbox / Tinybox v1.5 / SPSB-11 / CSbox
M10 / R09 / D100

07/19 Pearl Jam @ Wrigley Field
08/01 QOTSA @ Metro
08/02 Lollapalooza (NIN / QOTSA / Thievery / Band of Horses)
08/15 QOTSA @ Red Rocks
09/23 Arctic Monkeys @ Riviera Theater
10/18 Pearl Jam @ Barclays
10/19 Pearl Jam @ Barclays
10/21 Pearl Jam @ Wells Fargo Center
10/22 Pearl Jam @ Wells Fargo Center
11/15 NIN @ Hard Rock
11/16 NIN @ Hard Rock
12/06 Pearl Jam @ Key Arena

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: Amplification while Minimizing Noise
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 03:26:32 PM »
Digital level adjustment won't add any noise.

It will raise the noise that is already present on the recording by the same amount as the music.  It's basically the same as  turning up the playback volume, except without whatever noise the playback system itself contributes when cranked up higher.

Just make sure the maximum level remains at least a dB or two below 0dBFS, and don't feel compelled to boost everything that much just as standard procedure.  Some music is more appropriate with a lower level so the resulting volume knob setting is reasonable relative to other music.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline anr

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Amplification while Minimizing Noise
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 01:58:12 PM »
I tend to use Waves RVox Compressor/Gate.  The downward expander is not a conventional "on/off" gate.  It provides a gentle reduction of the noise floor by means of a soft knee behaviour.  You set it by ear and instead of sections of sudden absolute silence, which can be very noticeable, the unwanted noise is reduced but still there while, if necessary, the overall level increased by the compressor.  Worth a try if you have it.     

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.059 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com