Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Switching from PC to iMac  (Read 2415 times)

Offline BigTom

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Switching from PC to iMac
« on: December 21, 2007, 02:17:17 PM »
Getting an iMac in a few days. I have always used a PC. I was wondering what tools do all of you Mac users use for downloading lossy music. Also what conversion tools do you use when you record a show? My rig is dpa 4022s>v2>SD722. Is WaveLab compatible with a Mac? Thanks

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
Re: Switching from PC to iMac
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2007, 02:21:33 PM »
I run XP with BootCamp to use my old Windows audio software (Wavelab and Sound Forge). I'm just so used to those that I'd prefer not to relearn everything with Mac. Everything else I do, I use OSX.

+T for turning away from the Dark Side. Come join us, young Jedi.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline hummat

• Taperssection Member
    • Videos in Progress or Completed
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2007, 02:42:41 PM »
I'm using Transmission for BTs.

As far as audio software goes, I use FeltTip's Sound Studio.  Tried a couple of options (Amadeus, Audacity, etc. . .) and just liked the interface and usability of SoundStudio best.  They do offer a healthy fully-functional trial period as well. 

After I made the jump, bought an R-4 and moved into 4 channel recording, I had to find something with a little more under the hood.  Picked up a copy of Logic Express and am pretty impressed with it thus far.  I am still using SoundStudio for tracking.

-jay

Offline Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2007, 06:32:59 PM »
here is what i use:

ftp - Transmit or Fetch
Bittorent - Azureus
flac/shn conversion - xAct
wav editor - Spark XL 2.8.2
playback - Macamp or Play
windows VM - Parrallels Desktop
My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline BigTom

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 10:20:29 AM »
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Depechemode1993

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2007, 05:16:36 PM »
bro your gonna love mac. I run bootcamp on my macbook and still use all of my windows programs (CD wave and Adobe Audition) but I only do that on xp. everything else I use my os x and this laptop is still running fast after a year. not like me awesome compaq desktop computer I used to have. after a few weeks starting it up it would slow down. I am about to get an imac as well.

Offline keytohwy

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2007, 11:09:22 PM »
ftp - CyberDuck
Bittorent - Azureus
flac/shn conversion - xAct, Toast for FLAC to AAC conversion for iPod/iTunes use
wav editor - many tools; Sound Studio, Logic Express, QuickTime Pro (great recorder), SoundTrack Pro
playback - Cog

Offline wbrisette

• Trade Count: (2)
    • Homepage
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2007, 02:30:45 PM »
you may also want to look under the sticky titled Where Do I find.... I and others have listed a bunch of software tools and where to find them.

I think it's interesting how many people are finally trying Mac OS X. I wonder if anybody who has switched to Mac OS X regrets doing it, or has switched back.... hmmm.

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

Offline Krispy D

• Trade Count: (1)
    • my recordings on LMA
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2007, 03:47:05 PM »
you may also want to look under the sticky titled Where Do I find.... I and others have listed a bunch of software tools and where to find them.

I think it's interesting how many people are finally trying Mac OS X. I wonder if anybody who has switched to Mac OS X regrets doing it, or has switched back.... hmmm.

Wayne

none that I know of.  Classic mac os (9 or earlier) is un-usable after playing with the newer stuff.
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage-earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
~Rev. William J. H. Boetcker (not Lincoln)

Depechemode1993

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2007, 10:41:17 PM »

Wayne

Mac OS X is just a solid operating system. I love how there are no bugs on it what so ever.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.093 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com