Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Current external hard drive recommendations?  (Read 2547 times)

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • 😈
Current external hard drive recommendations?
« on: April 11, 2016, 01:49:45 PM »
Launching off into pulling stuff off my processing laptop before it gets full and/or crashes, and also going to start transferring masters from dat, about 1000 hours worth of stuff I'd guess. Thanks!
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Current external hard drive recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 02:49:59 PM »
are you looking for redundancy?  If so, you might want to check out some of the synology NAS offerings (here's an inexpensive 2 disk enclosure http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1237204-REG/synology_diskstation_ds216j_2_bay_nas.html) -- add in 2x 3tb NAS drives (I've had good luck with WD red at $106 each) and you have 3tb of redundant storage -- it'll alert you if/when one drive fails and you add a new drive and it automatically copies the data to the new drive.

If you aren't concerned about automatic redundancy, I'd go for whatever name brand usb drive works for you.  I personally prefer Western Digital but can't give you a good reason why.  Larger 3.5" drives require external power, many smaller 2.5" drives will power off your laptop. 

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 02:59:15 PM »
I've had good results using WD "Passport Ultra" 3TB drives.  They are the largest capacity 2.5" USB powered drives I've found, convenient for portability and no separate power supply needed.

I use them for archiving my recordings and to carry a copy of the nightly backup of our business servers offsite.  I use multiple drives, or a combination of these portable drives and computer mounted drives for redundancy.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 03:01:41 PM »
I personally prefer Western Digital but can't give you a good reason why. 

Same here.  Reason why is that I've had far fewer failures with WD than any of the other hard drives I've used.  They tend to have a good warranty period as well; I know, cold comfort if the drive happens to shit the bed full of your valuable data.  With non-SSD drives it's not a matter of "if" they'll fail, but "when".  Thankfully, the reliability seems to be getting a little better but redundancy is key. 
Speak to a dozen different people about favorite HDs and you'll hear different answers depending on their experiences. 

Offline nolamule

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Taperssection Member
  • where's my mule?
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 03:44:22 PM »
It really comes down to money. If you can swing it I would recommend getting a SSD drive with USB adapter. I just bought a Samsung 1TB for $250 with the adapter. Much more expensive than a regular spinning drive but you done have to worry about failure.

Offline MakersMarc

• 😈
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 04:04:49 PM »
Thanks all!
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2016, 04:49:46 PM »
It really comes down to money. If you can swing it I would recommend getting a SSD drive with USB adapter. I just bought a Samsung 1TB for $250 with the adapter. Much more expensive than a regular spinning drive but you done have to worry about failure.

If that's true, then why do places like newegg have so many refurbished SSD drives? Why would they need to be refurbished if they don't fail?

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2016, 05:44:04 PM »
you done have to worry about failure.

Not true.  While technology has created much more robust SSDs in the past several years and they don't have the moving parts of a HDD or the same vulnerabilities, they can still fail albeit at a fraction of the rate that HDDs do (from what I understand, failure rates of SSDs are on the order of less than one percent, while for HDDs can run about 4 to 6 percent which will increase as they get older).

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.109 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com