Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Fixing "camera shake" in post?  (Read 3349 times)

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Southern Shelter
Fixing "camera shake" in post?
« on: February 13, 2006, 02:03:30 PM »
I shot a show with two cams this weekend from a wooden platform (didn't really have any choice of setting up elsewhere), with people dancing and lots of bass.  One cam was left stationary with a full-stage shot, and it's fine.  The cam I was using for closeups has some shake from the vibration of either the subs or the dancers whenever it's fully zoomed.  Most of the footage doesn't zoom in that close, so only a few small sections are affected.  Any way to fix this with filters, either in Premiere or VirtualDub that anyone knows of?  Or is it better off left alone?  Still quite watchable, but I'd like to improve it if I can.

Thanks

Offline cpatch

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I STOP FOR CAFFEINE
    • The GodCast Network
Re: Fixing "camera shake" in post?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2006, 02:07:09 PM »
I'm aware of some plugins for Apple's iMovie that do this very well, so presumably some should exist for the more advanced editing apps.

Craig
Home (Podcasting): AT4040,NT-1A > Symetrix 528e > dbx 1066 > Mackie 1202-VLZ-PRO > 24" Intel iMac
Field (Podcasting/Taping): AT853RX,LSD2,MD46 > Bus PMD660/H4
$100 Super Stealth: Giant Squid Stereo Omnis > iRiver iFP-795

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Southern Shelter
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2006, 02:26:31 PM »
That certainly sounds hopeful then.  I was afraid it'd be one of those things that just doesn't work very well (like noise reduction in audio). . .

Offline firmdragon

• Taperssection All-Star
    • taping blog
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2006, 05:18:08 PM »
i've asked this question before and a fellow ts.com member pointed me in the direction of a program called "deshaker".

i actually went and tried this program out.  i found the results to be ok at best.  your results will probably differ..  in my experience, it did fix the shakes, but also introduced some noticable artifacts and bluring, but my shakes were more than just vibrations.

good luck.

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2006, 05:46:41 PM »
Deshaker is the best there is pretty much, but it's no panacea. Kind of like trying to fix crappy mics or positioning in post, you can try, and you might help it out a little, but don't expect miracles because it ain't going to happen.
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Southern Shelter
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2006, 01:37:21 AM »
Thanks guys.  I've been working with Deshaker a bit, putting the "de-shook" clips on their own track so I can get rid of 'em if need be.  In several instances it looks to be helpful, but I did see the artifacts a couple times.  I'm outputting a good 20-30 minutes of it to compress and burn a DVD of and see what it'll look like on a TV, so I may end up using it on some spots and leaving others as is, depending on how that looks  . . .

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2006, 02:21:33 AM »
Thanks guys.  I've been working with Deshaker a bit, putting the "de-shook" clips on their own track so I can get rid of 'em if need be.  In several instances it looks to be helpful, but I did see the artifacts a couple times.  I'm outputting a good 20-30 minutes of it to compress and burn a DVD of and see what it'll look like on a TV, so I may end up using it on some spots and leaving others as is, depending on how that looks  . . .

That's a good approach. Only use it if you really need it. And after using it where you really needed it, only keep it if it actually helped.
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Southern Shelter
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2006, 01:57:26 PM »
Crap, looks like I was introducing artifacts before I realized it.  I'll now have to go back and redo some of these with more "conservative" settings (I guess more isn't always better  ;D).  It's taking some time, but does indeed seem to be helping in several spots.  I'm excited enough about this particular video that I think it should be worth the time investment.

BobW

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2006, 09:28:08 PM »
Chuck Norris can fix camera-shake     ;D

Offline itook2much

• Taperssection All-Star
  • AKA rspencer
    • my masters
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2006, 12:32:26 AM »
Chuck Norris can fix camera-shake     ;D

Fear of Chuck Norris caused the camera shake ;)
DPA 4060 (CS HEB) > CS BB > Edirol R-09

Backups:  DPA 4060 (1/8"), SP-BMC-2, SP-SPSB-6, Sony MZ-NH1

Quote from: tomluvsgiants
rule #1 - get the show taped
rule #2 - see rule #1    >:D

Quote from: Grace Hopper
“If it's a good idea, go ahead and do it. It's much easier to apologize than it is to get permission.”

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com