Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: looking for a digital video camera  (Read 3422 times)

Offline tapernateva

• LOOKING DOWN FROM OUTER SPACE
  • Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Tapernate...doesn't advertise
    • db.etree.org/tapernate
looking for a digital video camera
« on: March 21, 2007, 12:24:10 PM »
i am looking for a decent quality digital cam not hd for around 500 bucks can the ts community help?!?
thanks
nate
ps will be using this mainly for video of the family and maybe a show here and there
Everybody's got a little karma to pay!

Neumann ak40 > lc3 > km100>sd442>sd744t
Neumann ak50 > lc3 > km100>sd442>sd744t
4 channels of Neumann bliss

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: looking for a digital video camera
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 05:43:28 PM »
i am looking for a decent quality digital cam not hd for around 500 bucks can the ts community help?!?
thanks
nate
ps will be using this mainly for video of the family and maybe a show here and there

I started by buying a new Canon ZR500 and I guess it worked fine the picture quality was also reasonable...it cost $300 and did a reasonable job for me.  Then I saw the picture quality from a Sony DCR-PC100 and was astounded at how much better the Zeiss optics are.  This camera pushed $2000 when it came out in 1999 or so.  Now it's common to find it on ebay for between $300 and $400.  The image quality resulting from this camera is simply outstanding.  While the camera might not be new, I personally would buy this camera ten times over again before buying something that's new and the same price.  Sure, the new camera might have more bells and whistles, but where the rubber meets the road, I put the Sony up against anything for $400 and in fact I'd bet that it outperforms the others hands down for image quality.  Having said this, these are my only two points of reference, so I can't comment on other camera models.

EDIT:  I forgot to mention an important feature of the Sony camera.  Even though the optical zoom on this camera is only 10X whereas lots of digital cameras have higher zoom ratios, the digital zoom on the Sony is outstanding and you can REALLY zoom in on objects without sacrificing image quality.  On most digital cameras (either still or video), the optical zoom is the only acceptable zoom because as soon as you zoom into the digital zoom zone, the image quality immediately starts degrading.  This is not so for the Sony...although there is some point in the image magnification up the the 100x digital zoom range where of course the image quality pixelates.
Steve
« Last Edit: March 21, 2007, 06:02:39 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline mikesalvo

• Trade Count: (51)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • get your Avett on!!!
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2007, 03:49:18 PM »
this is most likely out of your price range, but I have a Panasonic AG-DVX100B for sale. its the oine w/ the 2 channel XLR ins. It's got about 25 hours only on the heads. Its mint. Bought it awhile back for some projects, not its just not being used. Its been kept in a hard case in a safe place for about 6 months.

lemme know if you may be interested. Im looking to get rid of it w. a tripod, 3 filters, 1 - 8 hour battery, lots of high quality gells, filter, diffusions, etc...and Ill throw in a fresh 10 pack of mini-dv tapes. Im looking to get $3,000 for the package.

lemme know if anyones interested...
AKG se300b (ck/91, ck/93) > Busman T-Mod R-4

Offline beefstew

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 08:19:39 PM »
thanks
nate

I started by buying a new Canon ZR500...

thats what i currently use and i love it

its small [great for stealth], mic in, great lowlight - when i got it back in december it was $199 at Sears
*Audio*
Mics:
SP-CMC-19
Panasonic WM61a

Recorders:
MZ-RH910 (Hi-MD)
Sony TC-WE435 (CASS)

*Video*
Canon ZR-500 [Mini DV]
54" Tripod

I spend most of my money on gambling, booze, and women. The rest i spend foolishly.

Offline Brennan

• Taperssection Member
  • Currently hooked on open taping
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 01:03:16 AM »
Sorry guys, OT.. but how exactly do you stealth a video camera? I did it once, but that's cause security were complete idiots and didn't check mom's jacket LOL
Team SoCal

Church Audio Cardiods > Church Audio STC-9000 Preamp > Edirol R-09 (24/48) <- Click for info on each!

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007, 12:46:49 AM »
Sorry guys, OT.. but how exactly do you stealth a video camera? I did it once, but that's cause security were complete idiots and didn't check mom's jacket LOL

Jedi mind tricks of course.
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline joekar

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2007, 07:51:56 AM »
" You must FEEL the FORCE "

;D
jk
Roman Moroni: I would like to direct this to the distinguished members of the panel: You lousy corksuckers. You have violated my farging rights. Dis somanumbatching country was founded so that the liberties of common patriotic citizens like me could not be taken away by a bunch of fargin iceholes... like yourselves.

Offline Brennan

• Taperssection Member
  • Currently hooked on open taping
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2007, 11:54:24 PM »

Jedi mind tricks of course.

I'm cool with learning some, care to elaborate? ;D
Team SoCal

Church Audio Cardiods > Church Audio STC-9000 Preamp > Edirol R-09 (24/48) <- Click for info on each!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.263 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com