Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SBM1 Mic In vs. Line In Question:  (Read 1973 times)

Offline grider

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • always give more than you take
SBM1 Mic In vs. Line In Question:
« on: October 10, 2005, 02:00:04 PM »
when I run my mics>preamp>signal into the SBM1 I only "get" a signal when the the SBM1 is set at "mic in", rather than "line in" (which this signal from my preamp really is), and when the SBM1 is set at the correct "line in" setting I get no levels whatsoever; anyone know why this is the case? it does not really seem right, yet this is the only way the SBM1 unit will function, insight and input appreciated

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: SBM1 Mic In vs. Line In Question:
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2005, 02:02:34 PM »
gonna have to be more detailed..   what are running into the sbm1..  the trs jacks? the rca's?  Is it a modded unit? Is the signal balanced? unbalanced?
We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

Offline grider

• Trade Count: (6)
  • always give more than you take
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2005, 02:17:20 PM »
yea sorry; this is a stock SBM1 unit; I run my 4061 mini mics into a DPA mma6000 preamp into an SBM1 into a D8; , the signal exits the preamp via a single mini analog cable which runs into the 1/8 inch mini input on the front of the SBM1 unit; that particular input has two settings, one for "line in" and one for "mic in"; when I use the "line in" setting I get no line out to my dat machine via the 7 pin cable/dongle into the D8; when I change to the setting to "mic in" then I do get a signal out via the 7 pin cable/dongle to the D8; so in short, the signal going into the SBM1 is really a line in signal in that its coming from the preamp, but the SBM1 receiving that signal only works when I have the unit set to "mic in", what gives?

marc0789

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2005, 02:24:52 PM »
yea sorry; this is a stock SBM1 unit; I run my 4061 mini mics into a DPA mma6000 preamp into an SBM1 into a D8; , the signal exits the preamp via a single mini analog cable which runs into the 1/8 inch mini input on the front of the SBM1 unit; that particular input has two settings, one for "line in" and one for "mic in"; when I use the "line in" setting I get no line out to my dat machine via the 7 pin cable/dongle into the D8; when I change to the setting to "mic in" then I do get a signal out via the 7 pin cable/dongle to the D8; so in short, the signal going into the SBM1 is really a line in signal in that its coming from the preamp, but the SBM1 receiving that signal only works when I have the unit set to "mic in", what gives?

do not believe that you can run line in via that 1/8, despite what the setting slider says. I think you need to use the rca ins.

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2005, 02:26:27 PM »
The 1/8" stereo mini input on the SBM1 is only for mic input, not line.  The only way to get a line input is to use the RCA inputs, with the SBM1 set to line input.  You'll need to get an 1/8" stereo mini to dual RCA cable to go between your DPA preamp and the SBM1.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2005, 02:26:44 PM »

the line in input is the rca input.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com