Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: very simple setup for stealth recording  (Read 50557 times)

Offline newplanet7

• Hasn't heard a muddy 460/480 tape. EVER. Mike Hawk
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The Place To Be...... Akustische u. Kino-Geräte
Re: very simple setup for stealth recording
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2008, 04:02:12 PM »
Personally from the stuff I have grabbed the biggest issue is phasing/panning effect.
Whether its the moving of the head or people passing in front of you, I have no clue.
That ruins the tape for me. It's seems very common on stealth tapes that I've heard.

Also I do think open tapes sound better. Just my opinion of what I've heard.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 04:06:40 PM by newplanet7 »
MILAB VM-44 Classic~> Silver T's~> Busman PMD660
News From Phish: Will tour as opening act for Widespread Panic for Summer
hahaha never happen, PHiSH is waaaaayyyy better the WSP

They both ain't got nothing on MMW... Money spent wisely if you ask me...

FYI, it is a kick ass recording of a bunch of pretend-a-hippies talking.

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2008, 04:11:08 PM »
Personally from the stuff I have grabbed the biggest issue is phasing/panning effect.
Whether its the moving of the head or people passing in front of you, I have no clue.
That ruins the tape for me. It's seems very common on stealth tapes that I've heard.

Its all about location and polar pattern of the mics.. IMO you dont want hyper card for recording stealth you want a lose card or an omni depending on the venue.. And you dont want to move your head.. I suggest a neck collar :) Don'T use red wire like this guy and DO wear a shirt... :)
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline Liquid Drum

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2008, 04:21:11 PM »
^^LOL. A shirt would be a good idea..  :P
Mics:
AT933/C

Batt-Boxes, Pre-amps:
CA-9100

Recorders:
Edirol R-09
iRiver H120 (CF Modded)
Sony MZ-RH910 Hi-MD

Video: Canon HV20 E

Offline newplanet7

• Hasn't heard a muddy 460/480 tape. EVER. Mike Hawk
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • The Place To Be...... Akustische u. Kino-Geräte
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2008, 04:23:37 PM »
^^LOL. A shirt would be a good idea..  :P
:lol:
MILAB VM-44 Classic~> Silver T's~> Busman PMD660
News From Phish: Will tour as opening act for Widespread Panic for Summer
hahaha never happen, PHiSH is waaaaayyyy better the WSP

They both ain't got nothing on MMW... Money spent wisely if you ask me...

FYI, it is a kick ass recording of a bunch of pretend-a-hippies talking.

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2008, 04:49:25 PM »

Its all about location and polar pattern of the mics.. IMO you dont want hyper card for recording stealth you want a lose card or an omni depending on the venue.. And you dont want to move your head.. I suggest a neck collar :) Don'T use red wire like this guy and DO wear a shirt... :)

Hey, that's me!

Seriously, phasing is not much of an issue if you stay (roughly) facing forward.  Slowly move sideways and/or forward/backward to keep away from talkers.  Try to move between songs.  Oh yeah, get a friend to buy beers for you...

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

nameloc01

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2008, 05:34:38 PM »
The "stealth tapers" are the people who record ALL of the relevant and important music...whether they are "allowed" to or not. They are obviously doing it for the music and the music alone.

I have to question the ultimate mentality and motive of the "taper" who will only record the music *that he is told he's allowed to tape*. Think about that statement very carefully for a minute or two. This type of person falls into the "lifestyle taper" category, and that would be someone who is into just the "act" of taping the same or sometimes even more than the music he's actually recording. I'm sure we all know at least one (or 20) people like that.

Again, its just another way (much like the stupid "Ts") for some people to perpetuate some sort of superiority or in the case of the "elitist open taper"...resort to preaching morality (anti-stealth) to appear a better/cooler/superior  person.

By the way..I tape both open and stealth. It comes down to whatever the situation calls for.

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2008, 06:50:31 PM »
The "stealth tapers" are the people who record ALL of the relevant and important music...whether they are "allowed" to or not. They are obviously doing it for the music and the music alone.

BS.  Some do it for the music, but some do it to sell the recordings, some do it to gratify their egos (every bit, if not more, than many of the "lifestyle tapers") by posting it on DIME, some are obsessed with certain bands, etc.

I have to question the ultimate mentality and motive of the "taper" who will only record the music *that he is told he's allowed to tape*. Think about that statement very carefully for a minute or two. This type of person falls into the "lifestyle taper" category, and that would be someone who is into just the "act" of taping the same or sometimes even more than the music he's actually recording. I'm sure we all know at least one (or 20) people like that.

Huh?  You might have a point if you said "taper" who will record *ANY AND ALL* of the music that he is told he is allowed to tape.

But respecting an artists' wishes means you only care about the act of taping?  Whatever.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 06:52:23 PM by Will_S »

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2008, 07:47:29 PM »
IMO you dont want hyper card

Josephine's many excellent mk41 recordings are great examples that posture collars are not mandatory.

There is something to be said for good hypers when in a noisy crowd, shows where the performance isn't very loud and boomy venues.  Though there aren't many compact hypers that sound very good.

nameloc01

« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2008, 07:51:29 PM »
lol.

While I'm not talking to you specifically,...
If the only bands that allowed open taping were The Backstreet Boys,NSYNC and Britney...and *every single other band* on the planet was "no taping" would all of these "morality police tapers" simply stop taping? Or would they then only tape those shitty bands (because that's the only "bands" giving permission)??  or would they start stealth taping (because the preservation takes precedence) ??

Which would it be?

It goes back to the old saying " you're only free to choose from the choices you're given to choose from"

nameloc01

« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2008, 08:07:49 PM »
And I agree with you about some "stealth tapers" obsessing and posting on Dime and shit like that.
Again, The Supreme Court ruled taping is not a crime..so you can go argue morality and "tapers/artists" wishes with them, as far as I'm concerned when an "artist" decides to play in public, knowing there are tapers about, and then sells tickets to said show and collects money, thus selling that moments aural experience to me/others (from the seat I/people paid for) its fair game and I'm gonna tape it (for myself) that's just how it is. And, as I'm sure you know, the "bootlegging" industry is basically dead (all for the *few* hardcore collectors/small Japanese companies that will always be there) that arguement shouldn't even be brought up...its weak and just an excuse (at least it is nowadays)

If so many people are worried about the "morality" and "artists wishes" they should put some effort into ticket scalpers and people selling bum tickets..as I'm sure the artists doesn't want people doing those things either.

And to kinda break it down for you the "lifestyle tapers" are basically like those "fratboy" fags who use to put on their cargo shorts and sandals and go to the latter day GD shows..sure, they probably "listened" to the GD,...but most of them were there for the scene in the lot. =lifestyle.

Offline Will_S

« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2008, 09:10:19 PM »
While I'm not talking to you specifically,...

That's cool, I'll answer anyway.   ;D

If the only bands that allowed open taping were The Backstreet Boys,NSYNC and Britney...and *every single other band* on the planet was "no taping" would all of these "morality police tapers" simply stop taping?

Well, they'd probably sell off their LD mics and M148s and other bulky gear.  It might well be the death of open taping.  Of course, while I don't care for any of those bands and evidently you don't either, that doesn't mean there aren't folks who genuinely do.  It's a slippery slope if you think you can draw a clean line neatly separating all the bands that are worth taping and all the ones which aren't.

Or would they then only tape those shitty bands (because that's the only "bands" giving permission)?? 

Again, you're confusing taping ANYONE AND ENVERYONE who allows taping with only taping those taper-friendy bands you happen to like.  Me, I mostly like taper-friendly bands and so I tape them openly, I also like some non-friendly bands and go see them anyway, and there are plenty of taper-friendly bands I don't care for and would never go see.  I know folks who are more likely to give a new band a shot if they are taper friendly, but don't know anyone who will repeatedly tape someone they don't like.

or would they start stealth taping (because the preservation takes precedence) ??

For most big-time national acts, the "preservation takes precedence" argument is nonsense.  Preserving for YOU maybe, preserving for history,  :P.  Pretty much any big time band records every show themselves (or at least a few shows per tour, if they're one of those many bands who changes up nothing from night to night).  So for example when I go see Springsteen, I'm not going to bother taping.  There will be an official DVD at the end of the tour anyway.

For smaller bands, it would be a shame if none of their shows got recorded but does every single show need to be recorded?  Meh.  And for a smaller band, I find it a lot harder to use the excuse "it's my ticket and I paid for it and they're faceless rich bastards anyway" excuse.  I tape a bunch of folks who aren't officially taper friendly, but I ask them directly for permission, they tell me what's cool and what's not, and I look them in the eye and agree to it (or the whole deal is off if they want some weird condition attached).  I'm not going to "ask" someone, look him in the eye as he says no, and then do it anyway.  YMMV.

Anyway, who's more into the music at a show:  Someone who has their open rig dialed in to the extent that they press record, maybe double check levels once, and then walk away, or someone stealthing obsessing about every movement of their head and every glance from the ushers.  Just so they can "preserve" a show that a paid professional is also recording to multitrack gear?

Look, I'm not saying you're evil if you stealth.  I may have done it a time or two myself (to giant faceless entity bands).  But you have no ground to be bashing "lifestyle tapers" or pretending what you do is somehow purer or better.

nameloc01

« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2008, 09:19:38 PM »
You missing the point. I am adressing the attitude from the "elitist open tapers' who are anti-stealth taping. I don't really know any stealth-tapers who are "anti-open" taping. But, I do personally know a lot of stealth/open tapers who are "anti-elitist" which generally comes down from the "open-only" tapers. And its complete bullshit, and really is the final attempt at setting up some kind of heirarchy based on "morality".
The point was/is some people tape whatever it is that they happen to deem worthy, and some people only tape what they choose from he choices they are *given* to choose from....which to me, it bullshit. Pretty simple.

Offline Will_S

« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2008, 09:29:43 PM »
You missing the point. I am adressing the attitude from the "elitist open tapers' who are anti-stealth taping. I don't really know any stealth-tapers who are "anti-open" taping. But, I do personally know a lot of stealth/open tapers who are "anti-elitist" which generally comes down from the "open-only" tapers. And its complete bullshit, and really is the final attempt at setting up some kind of heirarchy based on "morality".
The point was/is some people tape whatever it is that they happen to deem worthy, and some people only tape what they choose from he choices they are *given* to choose from....which to me, it bullshit. Pretty simple.

Ahh, it's bullshit to only tape bands that allow it, but you're not anti-open taping.  I get it now.

nameloc01

« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2008, 09:42:46 PM »
No,I'm not anti-taping at all...I've run open a few times. I'm anti-asshole/elitist. My point was the "elitism" always seems to flow from one specific direction.
Now that we're 500 miles off of topic, I'll sign off.

dorrcoq

« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2008, 11:56:09 PM »

People don't walk in front of you when you open tape? ::)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.097 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com