Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New Schœnberg On Vinyl  (Read 2371 times)

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
New Schœnberg On Vinyl
« on: October 02, 2009, 04:48:04 PM »
Fans of the Second Viennese School, and classical music lovers everywhere should give this promo a full listen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LACCAF04wSs
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 04:53:47 PM by Bob »
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

Offline mosquito

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I am the Bug!
Re: New Schœnberg On Vinyl
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 05:13:49 PM »
Where can I order mine??

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 08:28:02 PM »
 ;D
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 12:02:33 AM »
OK, pardon my reveal here, but before I was a recording engineer I was a professional classical musician, and the music that this video is about happens to be some of the music that I was particularly drawn to. I recognized the first recording played in the video--the violinist on that record, the late Rudolf Kolisch, was the most influential teacher and friend I've ever had.

I can take a joke, as could Mr. Kolisch and the three composers that the video refers to (well, maybe not Webern so much). But it's a whole other thing if you treat someone's life's work as something that can be dismissed lightly, when they are among the most important composers of their time. And though this little video is a smooth production and not something that can just be thrown together, someone forgot to do their basic homework--about half the pieces in the video aren't twelve-tone compositions. So please don't assume that its smugness has been well earned.

A great deal of the music of Schoenberg, Berg and Webern is very beautiful when it is well played--though beauty isn't all that it, or any other music, is about. I've performed a good many pieces by these three composers; once you get to know it, it's as natural and expressive as Haydn, Mozart or Schubert. And yes, people (who can) definitely do whistle the tunes from it.

--best regards
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 12:25:16 AM »
Point well made, DS. I found the video humorous at least partially because of the broad, rather ignorant brush it used to paint the music into a corner of cliche- music of which I've become a huge fan, but will admit I know shamefully little about.

I'm fortunate to live close to a dedicated symphonic college and several universities with excellent music departments, and that has given me access to performances of a number of these composer's works. It's been some of the most interesting music I've come across and especially personally rewarding to record. This is a branch of classical music I find really interesting and exciting sonically, musically, and intellectually.  I've also really enjoyed being exposed to some contemporary 'New Music' composers and musicians exploring paths which follow directly from the influence of those composers.  What a great honour and great experience to be connected to that on a personal and performance level.  I tip my hat to you.

I'd encourage anyone who loves intellectually interesting music to explore some of this material, especially performed live.  It's anything but stuffy classical FM station material.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.061 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com