Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DPA 4011 and ORTF (and holders, bodies, accessories)  (Read 3172 times)

beenjammin

• Trade Count: (0)
DPA 4011 and ORTF (and holders, bodies, accessories)
« on: March 22, 2015, 01:17:11 PM »
I'm looking into entering the world of cardioids for nature and ambiance recording. This will complement my current omni setup and give me options when capture locations aren't omni friendly, and I want to capture a more pronounced image than the one given by omnis.

I've done a ton of listening to examples and keep coming back to the DPA 4011s. Given that I have a set of Schoeps omnis, the logical choice is a set of MK4s. But I'm very drawn to the sound of the 4011s.

My primary aim is to run a set of 4011s in ORTF. I'm a little lost in the choices between amps and accessories in DPA's current line up and would like to see if any of you can help me out.

I'm really interested in the CXO4000 Compact XY/ORTF Stereo Holder. This seems unobtrusive, lightweight and (presumable) dials in ORTF without any fuss. Which of the current bodies work with this holder? MMP-C or the active cable or both? As far as I can tell, this holder works with the active cables, as it's included in the 3511ES stereo kit. I assume the regular MMP-A bodies are too big.

As I understand it, there's a trade off in going from the A to the C to the active cables: the smaller the body, the less dynamic range. I'm not opposed of getting actives, but if their sound is significantly different than the ones given by the bodies, I would like to know.

If I can't run the CXO4000 holder with the MMP-C bodies, what are my options? I'm looking for a small bar that will easily dial in ORTF and may can be run on a stand and handheld for the occasional spot EX/ambiance capture. I figure my options are the Grace or the Schoeps bar. I assume there will be no issues running the compact bodies in ORTF.

Offline dointhatrag

• Taperssection Regular
    • my band
Re: DPA 4011 and ORTF (and holders, bodies, accessories)
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 04:27:54 PM »
I too am running the MMP-C bodies and wondered it if would fit onto the CXO4000 Compact XY/ORTF Stereo Holder, let me know how you make out please.
Schoeps + Neumann + DPA - Sonosax PR - Apogee Mini Me - 24/96

beenjammin

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 10:36:11 PM »
I too am running the MMP-C bodies and wondered it if would fit onto the CXO4000 Compact XY/ORTF Stereo Holder, let me know how you make out please.

If I get my hands on a set, I'll be glad to post here. My hunch is that they won't work. The CX04000 looks like it came out to work with the older compact cards, the 4021 et. al. These older compacts appear to be very similar in size to 4011 cap attached to the MMP-E active cable.

I worry that the MMP-C may be both too heavy for the holder and too big to run a "proper" ORTF.

Offline yates7592

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 01:07:51 AM »
The new modular DPA mics do not fit into that holder. There was a small groove present on the old 402x series that sat tight with the holder. That groove is absent in the modular mics.

Offline yates7592

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 01:15:09 AM »
Yes there is a trade off going from A to C to E. This is in respect of low frequency extension, noise and CMR. I run 4006C and am very happy with the results.

beenjammin

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2015, 10:48:31 AM »
The new modular DPA mics do not fit into that holder. There was a small groove present on the old 402x series that sat tight with the holder. That groove is absent in the modular mics.

That's really helpful, thanks! It appears the holder now only works with the capsules attached to the active cables. The 3511ES Stereo Kit, for example, includes the CX04000.

Offline dointhatrag

• Taperssection Regular
    • my band
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2015, 02:36:31 PM »
Yes there is a trade off going from A to C to E. This is in respect of low frequency extension, noise and CMR. I run 4006C and am very happy with the results.

I to love the low end of my C bodies with the 4011 caps. I am really happy.

Schoeps + Neumann + DPA - Sonosax PR - Apogee Mini Me - 24/96

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com