Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: edirol/roland r-44 (part five)  (Read 163725 times)

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: edirol/roland r-44 (part five)
« Reply #180 on: January 01, 2014, 01:12:22 PM »
It runs well on 9V from an external supply.

If you mean the external battery voltage cutoff setting on the R44's menu, most users including myself set that to External (or AC or whatever the setting is labeled for an external adapter) and then use the built-in meter on the DVD battery itself to monitor state of charge instead of the battery meter on the R44 display.  The R44 will switch to the internal AA's if the external is unplugged or dies and at that point the icon on the R44 display will switch from a little electrical plug to the battery meter bars.

This.

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #181 on: January 03, 2014, 09:50:02 AM »
I can't check now, but iirc, isn't it set to something lower..? Like 9v if running a 12v battery..? I remember some deal where when I initially set it intuitively (which would have been accurate to math the battery rating), I got warning messages and a shut down (I think, 'cos I didn't have aa batts in) because as soon as the voltage dips below what you set it at, the warnings start. The setting, again, iirc, is to set a level below which the warning pops, NOT to set it to accept a certain amount of power...

Yes.  If you were using a 12VDC SLA or something, you could set the recorder to start giving warnings and then shut-down as the external supply voltage drops below the chosen setting.  That would also let you use the battery meter on the recorder.  But for that function to work, the nominal working voltage of the battery needs to be higher than the cut-off setting on the R44. 

That doesn't work with a 9VDC DVA battery, because you can not set the external battery supply cut-off voltage on the R44 menu to a value of less than 9V.  In that case there is no 'working voltage range' between the fully charged output of the battery and the recorder's shut-off setting so the recorder will immediatey (or very quickly) start giving warnings and shutting down.   Setting the R44 menu to 'adapter' (or whatever the setting is labled that turns off the low-voltage shut down function) prevents that from happening so that's how everyone uses it with 9V DVD batteries.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #182 on: January 03, 2014, 09:57:17 AM »
^

Thx for clearing that up...

+t
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline waltmon

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #183 on: January 16, 2014, 04:51:05 PM »
Hey guys...I'm seriously considering picking up the Oade Modded R-44 in the yardsale.   Any comments as to the R-44 performance compared to the Tascam 680 other than the obvious extra channels?
KM140's, KM150's, U89's, Mixpre-10T II, 788T, F3

CA-14 > UBB > Tascam DR-2D

1 pound non-sequential $50.00 bills

Online Gutbucket

« Reply #184 on: January 16, 2014, 05:33:27 PM »
I have and use both (OCM R44, stock DR-680) and consider them pretty much interchangeable in regards to sound quality if that's what you mean.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline waltmon

« Reply #185 on: January 16, 2014, 06:47:56 PM »
how about in regards to difficulty of menu navigation

Online Gutbucket

« Reply #186 on: January 17, 2014, 02:18:57 AM »
R-44 is faster and simpler.  A taper who never used it before could make it go immediately, and figure out settings pretty quickly.  Gain setting is simpler with individual physical knobs.

DR-680 is not difficult and is simple once learned, with more recording control options, but is a bit more complicated control-wise and card file system-wise.  It has more physical switches on it to be concerned with.  Gain setting can be linked to adjust multiple channels simultaneously in sync with each other.

If playback from the machine matters-
R-44 has individual channel out gains and EQ or compressors available, individual outs or 2 buss out, but 2 buss is always 1,3>L / 2,4>R hard panned.

DR-680 has a 2 buss mixer with individual channel gains & pans or individual channel outs, but no EQ, and no individual channel out gains.

Both have adjustable M/S decoding.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 02:37:52 AM by Gutbucket »

Offline waltmon

« Reply #187 on: January 17, 2014, 08:28:12 AM »
That's awesome info...thank you.

Offline lynchie

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #188 on: February 10, 2014, 09:28:36 PM »
I'm onboard with team R44. good score on Ebay.
DPA 4023's,mg210's
Sonosax Sx-m32
Mixpre 6ii
Oppo DV-981 HD>Grace 901>ancient Harmon Kardon Citation>Klipsch HSF 8.5 floor speakers

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #189 on: February 12, 2014, 10:49:12 AM »
I'm onboard with team R44. good score on Ebay.
welcome to the team! Great recorder, IMO.
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

sbellon

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #190 on: February 22, 2014, 06:02:31 AM »
Has anyone done the upgrade to firmware 1.2.1 and any impressions to share?

I'm especially interested in the "Auto Sens" functionality. Is it useful?

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #191 on: February 22, 2014, 07:19:40 AM »
Hmmm, when did that update become available?  It's a new one on me.  I'll give it a try tomorrow.

From the updated manual -

31 Recording
Automatically Detecting the Optimal Input level (Auto Sens)
Here's how to automatically detect the optimal input level
for the audio that is currently being input,
and display that value.

* The display will show the recommended setting at which the maximum level
of the sound that was input duringdetection will be about -6 dBu.
Press the[MENU] button
Use the cursor buttons [] []
to choose 6 Auto Sens, and press the [ENTER] button. Automatic detection will begin.

3.Into the mics, produce the sound that you intend to record.
* At least four seconds of detection is required after you press the
[ENTER] button
4. Press the[STOP] button to end automatic detection.
The display will indicate each channel's recommended
sensitivity level (SENS RECOMMEND) and the current
setting (CURRENT).

5.Use the input level knobs [SENS] (outer ring)
to adjust the current value (CURRENT) so that it matches
the recommended value (SENS RECOMMEND).

* If you press the [EXIT] button to end auto sense without adjusting
the knobs, the settings will not be applied.

6.If you then press [DISP], the display will show each
channel's recommended level (LEVEL RECOMMEND)
and the current value (CURRENT).

7. Use the input level knobs [LEVEL] (inner ring) to
adjust the current value (CURRENT) so that it matches
the recommended value (LEVEL RECOMMEND

I note that the block diagram in this revised manual clearly shows the inner knob is after the A/D stage, as they've always shown it.  Why Mr Oade insists on it being otherwise I have no idea.  If it was an error in the diagram, they've had years to correct it now.  The manual also clearly states that signal to noise ratio is affected by the outer knob, not the inner one (which is digital gain and therefore applies to both signal and noise passed from the analog stages).

sbellon

« Reply #192 on: February 22, 2014, 07:37:27 AM »
Hmmm, when did that update become available?  It's a new one on me.  I'll give it a try tomorrow.

The firmware binary is dated 2013-08-27, the update instructions and the changelog are dated 2013-09-17.

I note that the block diagram in this revised manual clearly shows the inner knob is after the A/D stage, as they've always shown it.  Why Mr Oade insists on it being otherwise I have no idea.  If it was an error in the diagram, they've had years to correct it now.  The manual also clearly states that signal to noise ratio is affected by the outer knob, not the inner one (which is digital gain and therefore applies to both signal and noise passed from the analog stages).

It may very well be that changing that diagram would be too much effort (in contrast to the gain), so that they keep it knowing that it is inaccurate. Just speculation, though.

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #193 on: February 22, 2014, 03:27:59 PM »
It may very well be that changing that diagram would be too much effort (in contrast to the gain), so that they keep it knowing that it is inaccurate.
Or, the diagram is correct, and every user and tester of the R-44 is correct, except for one...

Online Gutbucket

« Reply #194 on: February 24, 2014, 11:27:10 AM »
4. Press the[STOP] button to end automatic detection.
The display will indicate each channel's recommended
sensitivity level (SENS RECOMMEND) and the current
setting (CURRENT).

5.Use the input level knobs [SENS] (outer ring)
to adjust the current value (CURRENT) so that it matches
the recommended value (SENS RECOMMEND).

* If you press the [EXIT] button to end auto sense without adjusting
the knobs, the settings will not be applied.

6.If you then press [DISP], the display will show each
channel's recommended level (LEVEL RECOMMEND)
and the current value (CURRENT).

7. Use the input level knobs [LEVEL] (inner ring) to
adjust the current value (CURRENT) so that it matches
the recommended value (LEVEL RECOMMEND)

Hmmm.  Interesting that AUTO SENS appears to recommend both a sensitivity setting AND a level setting.  I'd figured it would just recommend sensitivity.. why a level setting (digital trim) too I wonder?

R88 has a channel ganging feature for linked-channel gain changes as well as stereo monitor mix panning, I'd love to see those things in an R44 firmware update.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 11:31:08 AM by Gutbucket »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.111 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com