Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mac scanner/copier automation tips?  (Read 1771 times)

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
  • Needs to get out more...
Mac scanner/copier automation tips?
« on: November 17, 2011, 02:16:54 PM »
I need to setup a macbook to make "photo copies".  A family member has an HP all-in-one printer as the scan source, and a brother b&w laser printer as the output.

Ideally, the end result would be as easy to use as possible for an 80+ year old.  Like a copier.

Since the HP won't need to print, I'm hoping I can avoid any need to ever hassle with ink.

The macbook interfaces to the HP via USB.  The Brother is via wireless.

Wondering if anyone has any tips?

Thanks!

Offline keytohwy

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Mac scanner/copier automation tips?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 11:32:52 AM »
I need to setup a macbook to make "photo copies".  A family member has an HP all-in-one printer as the scan source, and a brother b&w laser printer as the output.

Ideally, the end result would be as easy to use as possible for an 80+ year old.  Like a copier.

Since the HP won't need to print, I'm hoping I can avoid any need to ever hassle with ink.

The macbook interfaces to the HP via USB.  The Brother is via wireless.

Wondering if anyone has any tips?

Thanks!

Kinda of a tough one, but...you might be able to set the HP up to scan to a particular folder.  You could then set that folder as a "hot" folder, and link it to an Automator action that printed anything added to that folder.

How much copying are they going to be doing?  Frankly, the ink may be worth the hassle.

keytohwy

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Mac scanner/copier automation tips?
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 06:53:42 PM »
Thanks for the reply.   The problem is that it's an HP printer. I think the specific model is "Wallet-Vampire"...

So the ink runs dry.  She does very little copying.  I've encouraged her to just go to the store around the corner and use a copier, but she is too stubborn.  I was shocked when she said she'd bought more ink to make some copies.

Some searches revealed that there is a mac utility, Image Capture, that supports the hp in scan mode (that support is new to recent versions of the OS).  It'll dump the scan into a directory.  Ideally I'd like to totally automate it with some scripts.  The descriptions I've seen suggest it requires some gui interaction.  I'm not sure yet if there are command line options that I can script.  I'll need to hack on it when I visit her house.

http://technologynovice.com/scanning-to-a-mac-from-an-hp-all-in-one-printer/

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.036 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com