Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Re: Upgrade recommendations from AKG 391-B with CK-91 caps  (Read 2386 times)

Offline bobsyouruncle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Upgrade recommendations from AKG 391-B with CK-91 caps
« on: September 28, 2008, 07:42:56 AM »
I have a pair of AKG 391B with CK 91 caps. I am thinking of upgrading to the Sennheiser MKH 8040 mikes. I could also go to Neumann or Schoeps. However I don't know what is comparable to the Sennheiser in the same price range, hopefully lower.

I use the mikes in a stealth situation mounted in a hat, not a mount or stand. Therefore, size is important. The AKG's have an active cable which has always been a nice option.

Any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Offline taperwheeler

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 04:05:02 PM »
I started with 391's and now run 481's.  Have always been happy with the AKG sound.  Out of curiosity, any reason why you want another brand?
Mics: SP-CMC-8 AT933 Body 4.7K mod AT853 (c, sc) U853 (h) Microline Shotguns
Pres: CA 9100, SP-Preamp
Recorders: MT2 , Tascam DR-07, PCM-M10, PCM A10

Offline bobsyouruncle

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 06:06:59 PM »
Hello Taperwheeler: I also have a set of Sennheiser MKE 2002's that I have owned for about 25 years. I still use them regularly. So, I thought that I would upgrade to Sennheisers. I know of the 481's but have never heard of them. Are they significantly better than the 391's?

I am just starting to look so your input is appreciated. I am in the Toronto area and have to find a dealer that has different mikes in stock. Most seem to carry a particular line but have little inventory.

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 06:21:22 PM »
Hello Taperwheeler: I also have a set of Sennheiser MKE 2002's that I have owned for about 25 years. I still use them regularly. So, I thought that I would upgrade to Sennheisers. I know of the 481's but have never heard of them. Are they significantly better than the 391's?

I am just starting to look so your input is appreciated. I am in the Toronto area and have to find a dealer that has different mikes in stock. Most seem to carry a particular line but have little inventory.
The AKG 481/483 are a lot better than the 39x series.  Best price is to buy used here, though, not new.  Also, I prefer the sound of the 461/463, the older ones with transformers in the bodies.  Much smoother to my ears.  Of course, I recommend Beyerdynamic MC930 (matched pair, $700-800), I don't think you can beat that, at least for a new price.

As for Canadian dealers, I've had good luck dealing with Trew Audio (for lav mics, Sony PCM-D50 recorder).  For AKG and Edirol, look at oakwoodbroadcast.com (Winnipeg).  Try to get an educational or institutional account, then their AKG prices are *very* good.  Cheaper than in USA, I've found.  I've had excellent dealings with Fullcompass and Sweetwater in USA as well.

Richard

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008, 07:34:13 PM »
I use the mikes in a stealth situation mounted in a hat, not a mount or stand. Therefore, size is important.

This is probably the main reason why he's looking to move on from AKGs and not considering the 460/480 series.
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline bobsyouruncle

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2008, 07:50:10 PM »
Richard: Thanks, I'll follow-up with both dealers this week. Have a good evening. Tim

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2008, 11:42:11 AM »
I am thinking of upgrading to the Sennheiser MKH 8040 mikes. I could also go to Neumann or Schoeps. However I don't know what is comparable to the Sennheiser in the same price range, hopefully lower.

The Senn mkh 8040 mics are great, as are Neumann's and Schoeps.  Another great, small mic to consider would be the DPA 4023 (or 4022 or 4021).  All of these are great mics and it will come down to personal preference.

Offline EarlyMorningRain

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2008, 01:12:28 PM »
well if you are stealthing with the AKG SE300/ck91 line (I own those, actives even, but use them for open taping), then maybe these are an option for you (don't know much spec wise about them though)?

ebay item # 310088329575
2x Sennheiser MKE 4012 cardioid stealth caps + cables

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2008, 10:40:22 AM »
If you're still looking, I'd highly recommend considering the Milab VM44-link.  I'd put their sound at something like the neumann km140, but with a fuller, tighter low end.  They are a small, active cable mic setup and are several hundred dollars cheaper than the neumanns and senns.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com