Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Basic Mic Powerng Question  (Read 2069 times)

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
Basic Mic Powerng Question
« on: December 21, 2007, 08:34:04 PM »
Does a microphone draw much more current when it's being used during a loud show vs. just recording ambient sound in my living room?

Reason I ask is that I've done some battery testing to see how long each of my older batteries will power my rig by just hooking up my 702 up with the mics all setup at home (with phantom on of course) and running the juice out of the battery. 

Just wondering if there would be much less run-time when I'm recording at the live venue at loud volumes.

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Basic Mic Powerng Question
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2007, 08:38:39 PM »
Does a microphone draw much more current when it's being used during a loud show vs. just recording ambient sound in my living room?

Reason I ask is that I've done some battery testing to see how long each of my older batteries will power my rig by just hooking up my 702 up with the mics all setup at home (with phantom on of course) and running the juice out of the battery. 

Just wondering if there would be much less run-time when I'm recording at the live venue at loud volumes.

I don't know the answer to this, but my uneducated guess would be that the current draw is the same for any amplitude.  If anything you would think it would draw more for a quiet source...
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2007, 09:28:18 PM »
I've never seen any phantom-powered microphone draw more current while putting out higher signal levels.

If it did, that might be problematic. The more current a microphone draws, the greater is the voltage drop across the pair of resistors (6.8 kOhms for 48 Volts) in the phantom powering circuit, and thus the lower the voltage that the microphone would see coming in. That's the weird thing (or OK, a weird thing) about those Earthworks mikes that draw 10 mA--drawing anything more than about 7 mA actually makes less power available to the microphone circuit.

--best regards
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2007, 11:33:11 PM »

The standard for phantom power is 10mA max.. Most mics will not change because the gain of the internal preamp is fixed therefor if there is no increase in gain or "work" that your asking the preamp to do there should be no increase in current draw. And most good microphones have a regulated supply that helps further stabilize the power coming into the microphone to decrease any voltage swing that might effect the performance of the microphone it self.

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

stevetoney

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2007, 07:10:02 AM »
Thanks for the answers guys.  Not being a tekkie, I kinda figured as much, but it's something that I wondered about.

Offline oleg

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a proud Jew
    • you can find me here
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2007, 09:52:10 AM »
if you run hotter signal more leds would blink on 722  so you would drow much higher  current 
for mic loud signal not change anything
oleg kaizerman(gebe)hollyland
kaizeroaudio-rentals -sound for film/tv sales

schoepses, gefells, sankens, sennheisers....all kind of shit ....ends with deva 16  fusion ,zfr,788, 744, hhb
http://groups.google.com/group/sellbuyexchange-film-videoaudiogear

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com