Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Oade SBM-1 > HD-P2  (Read 2429 times)

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
Oade SBM-1 > HD-P2
« on: February 07, 2010, 01:59:58 AM »
I'm thinking about buying a SBM-1 to play with...  I understand the Oade 24bit mod wasn't actually a 24bit mod, but that the SBM-1 still outputs 20bits???  Is that correct???

I'm wondering how I could use that with a 24bit recorder like the HD-P2???  Could I use all 20bits???  And what happens to the extra 4 bits that are missing???

I'm looking at getting an Oade Line Mod w/ Coax out Sony SBM-1 to go along with my Oade ACM HD-P2.

Any thoughts??? 

Thanks,

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
Re: Oade SBM-1 > HD-P2
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 03:35:22 AM »
Boy, it's been a while...but my recollection is that the modSBM-1 still outputs 16-bit.  Hopefully someone will chime in with a more definitive answer.  Of course, you could always email Doug to see what he says, too.

Is there something about the sound of your ACM HD-P2 you don't like that you're trying to change?  Perhaps another piece of gear could achieve the results you seek.  Or is this just gear-playing sluttiness in action?
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

runonce

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 10:51:44 AM »
Sony marketing was something like "Super Bit Mapping gives 20bit performance from 16bits" - or something to that effect...

But its just 16 bits.

Offline dgale

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Los Lobos Tour Dates & Setlists
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 11:51:19 AM »
Yes, the SBM-1 only had 16bit output - I'm not sure why Doug called the upgrade that.  It also only has the Sony 7-pin connector, unless it's been modded to provide a coax output instead.  I agree with Brian that I'm not sure why you would want to do this, unless you already have one collecting dust and are wondering what to do with it.  I still use mine occasionally for stealthing or when I need to travel light, but it's paired with one of my DAT recorders in this case...I still have 3-4 boxes of DAT blanks and unlike most, still like running my DAT deck now and again, but I can't see going to any expense to mod or upgrade an SBM-1 for continued use - there are better solutions out there these days.
http://loslobos.setlist.com/

Mics: SKM140, CM300/CP-1/CP-2/CP-4
Pre/AD: SD MP-2, AD2K+, MiniMe, SBM-1
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Motu Traveler, Korg MR-2, DA-P1, D8, D7, DTR-80P, D5, D6

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 12:48:05 PM »
^^^I agree with above....  pretty sure the LineMod SBM-1 puts out 16bit, but "sounds" like 24bit according to Doug at some point in time.  And when I was chatting with Doug about my ACM HDP2, I mentioned that I had a Wmod UA-5 too......  he told me that I'd never use the UA-5 again after using the HDP2 because the ADC stage in the HDP2 was so much better than the UA-5.  I know you're not talking about a UA-5 and that the Line Stage Mod SBM-1 is about as good as a small 16bit ADC as there is........  but I would bet that the ADC in the HDP2 is technically superior the SBM-1 ADC in every way.  If you want the flavor of the mod SBM-1, than go for it.......  it's always fun to play around with more toys.  But as for quality, the HDP2 is your better choice obviously.

I still have a broken Line-Stage Mod SBM-1 with coax mod and a stock SBM-1 with coax mod that I can use with a 7pin>optical POC-DA12 (??) and run that optically into a Hi-MD deck.  It's a nice sounding small rig, but with the 24bit world so accessible and so compact......  it hasn't really made any sense for me to run in it quite a while.  Maybe I'll have to bust it out again for a drive...........
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010, 09:04:02 PM »

Is there something about the sound of your ACM HD-P2 you don't like that you're trying to change?  Perhaps another piece of gear could achieve the results you seek.  Or is this just gear-playing sluttiness in action?

Oh, its just sluttiness...

I've got the itch for a new toy.  I figured I could achieve a different sound for cheap if I got an SBM-1.  I might have found an Oade Mod w/ coax output.

I love my HD-P2.  But I like gadgets, and want more...

Thanks for the input!

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2010, 10:16:29 PM »

Oh, its just sluttiness...

WOOOOHOOOO!!!!!!11!!!

<ahem>
Carry on.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com