Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Vegas 10 audio dubbing and multicamera mixing (help!!! :-)  (Read 4703 times)

Offline genesisoh

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • The Y1K problem caused the dark ages!
Vegas 10 audio dubbing and multicamera mixing (help!!! :-)
« on: September 29, 2011, 05:39:08 PM »
I have authored a number of live concert DVDs using Vegas 10 and DVD Architect.  I learn more as I go, but I seem to have hit a brick wall.  I have a few shows with alternate high-quality audio and some alternate video as well.  I want to learn how to dub this audio and add the other video for a multicamera mix.  Can someone please point me to a tutorial or two?  I should mention that I am editing HD video and the audio is 24/48.  I use the Lumix ZS3 (LOVE this camera!!!) and have generally had good results. 

Thank much in advance.
Mics: CA-14 cards and omnis
Preamp: CA 9100 (not currently in use - wanna buy it???)
Recorder: TASCAM DR-2D
Video: Sony hx9v; Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 (old faithful)

Offline JayBTV

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
    • Twitter
Re: Vegas 10 audio dubbing and multicamera mixing (help!!! :-)
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 10:30:09 AM »
One trick for simple syncing that I use is to create three tracks in Vegas.  On the first two put the original video recording.  On the third put the alternate audio source.  Pan the audio for the original (track 2) all the way to the left channel, and pan the new audio(track 3) all the way to the right.  Then using headphones play the project.  Move the audio on the third track until you hear the same thing in both ears.  Meanwhile zoom in and visually look to see if you can line up the two tracks better.  The farther in you can zoom and line them up the better. 

This works as long as the original source is in sync.  Sometimes due to distant it may be a bit off and you'll have to compensate.  Either way doing this will get you close to in sync.

You'd probably also want to make sure it doesn't drift out of sync.  So play and listen to the beginning of project and the end.  If there is a time difference you can do a simple time stretch on the original video to match the audio.  To do this hold CTRL, hold the mouse button on the right edge of the original clip and slide it so it visually and auditorally matches.  Then check the beginning again and readjust/repeat if necessary.

Once you have it lined up just delete track two and pan the new audio back to center.  Then you can mix down.

If you want to create a multicam video use the same method.  Sync one video, then add another video and audio track.  Sync those to the new audio, delete the original audio track for those, and move that video track to the top above the other.  Repeat.

Once you have multiple video tracks you can right click on the track button for each video (on the left w/ the volume controls) and pick Insert/Remove Envelope/Composite Level.  That will give you a line in that video track (defaulted at 100% or the top) which when adjusted will mix the video w/ the track(s) below it.  IE if the video track on the top has a composite level that hasn't been adjusted it will be the only video seen when outputted.  If you adjust the envelope you'll start to mix in the track below it (if it's at 100%) and so on.

Rambling but I do this all the time for my DMB youtube channels (Re: www.youtube.com/chestercopperpot5 ).  Hope this helped get you started...

-Jay
@Copperpot5

Offline genesisoh

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 02:43:40 AM »
Thanks for the info!  I am going to try it out tomorrow.  Perhaps it's just me, but I have found some of the features in Vegas to be counter-intuitive.  Maybe as I play around with it more the controls will become more natural. 

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 12:21:35 PM by beatkilla »

Offline stantheman1976

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 06:51:49 PM »
An extremely easy way to syn multiple camera angles together is if you have camera flashes at any point in the recording use those. A flash will take up 1 frame of video so if you line the angles up so the flash is starting and ending in sync the whole video will be good.

Another little trick I use for syncing audio tracks is to do basically what JayBTV said while lining up the beginning. Then I go to the end and find a like point in both sources. I zoom in and set my cursor at the beginning of my chosen peak on the original track. Then I hold down the SHIFT key and use the arrow key to move along the track to the same peak on the new track. This creates a loop region that is exactly the amount of the drift between the two tracks. Then I drag the loop region to the end of the new track, hold down SHIFT and stretch/shrink it using that loop region as my guide. On some recordings it might take a little searching for the perfect spot to do this at the end but once you find it the sync will be dead on.

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 10:22:12 AM »
The camera flash is a good technique but is not as good if your cameras have a CMOS sensor with rolling shutter which all modern cameras have.

Offline phanophish

• ImageLume Photography
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2011, 03:56:51 PM »
This video is for Vegas 9 but I found it really useful when learning Vegas...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQdz5EHv120

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: What's this?
Elwood: What?
Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?
Elwood: The what?
Jake: The Cadillac we used to have. The Blues Mobile!
Elwood: I traded it.
Jake: You traded the Blues Mobile for this?
Elwood: No. For a microphone.
Jake: A microphone? Okay I can see that.

Offline guitard

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2011, 12:34:35 PM »
An extremely easy way to syn multiple camera angles together is if you have camera flashes at any point in the recording use those. A flash will take up 1 frame of video so if you line the angles up so the flash is starting and ending in sync the whole video will be good.

I've found that video from some of the digital point-and-shoot cams do not stay in synch - not even close.  It seems to be brand-dependent to some extent.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline genesisoh

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 03:39:42 PM »

I've found that video from some of the digital point-and-shoot cams do not stay in synch - not even close.  It seems to be brand-dependent to some extent.

Is this between products or within the same product?

Offline guitard

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2011, 11:31:37 AM »

Is this between products or within the same product?

I'm not sure what you mean by "products."  I'm talking about digital point-and-shoot cams. 

What I'm saying is that I've gotten clips from three or four different people to mix together - all shot with different cameras and different quality settings - and some of them were way out of sync.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com