Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Slate ML-2?  (Read 2230 times)

Offline lsd2525

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Eschew obfuscation
Slate ML-2?
« on: February 02, 2018, 10:24:04 AM »
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/VRSML2?psnl=64?utm_content&utm_source=marketing&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20180201-national-universal-audio-b

On sale at Sweetwater. Anyone ever used these? Or any Slate mics for that matter? Looks like they are part of a "system" that includes a a preamp that does "modeling" of different microphones. I wonder how this would work for "what we do"? Would be kinda neat to roll into a room and think "I think I'll run a pair of U67's tonight" and be able to do it with the flip of a switch.
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's
Recorders: M10; DR-60D; DR-701D

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
Re: Slate ML-2?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 10:41:09 AM »
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/VRSML2?psnl=64?utm_content&utm_source=marketing&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20180201-national-universal-audio-b

On sale at Sweetwater. Anyone ever used these? Or any Slate mics for that matter? Looks like they are part of a "system" that includes a a preamp that does "modeling" of different microphones. I wonder how this would work for "what we do"? Would be kinda neat to roll into a room and think "I think I'll run a pair of U67's tonight" and be able to do it with the flip of a switch.

The preamp is just a preamp. All the modeling and emulation takes place in software plugins so not really useful in the field running from batteries. Cool idea though...
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline lsd2525

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018, 11:59:31 AM »

The preamp is just a preamp. All the modeling and emulation takes place in software plugins so not really useful in the field running from batteries. Cool idea though...

Well shit. Wonder how those plugins would work with a recording made by another mfg.'s mics?
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's
Recorders: M10; DR-60D; DR-701D

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 12:17:44 AM »
All that they can do is mimic the frequency response (and to some extent, the frequency/phase response) of the microphone that you choose. They can't make a microphone of one pattern (e.g. cardioid) sound like a microphone of a different pattern (omni, supercardioid), nor can they make a large-diaphragm capsule sound like a small-diaphragm capsule (or vice versa), nor can they make a single-diaphragm capsule sound like a dual-diaphragm capsule (or vice versa); that's just not possible.

But if you have a dry, close-up, single-mike studio recording of a vocalist singing into a U 87 or U 89 set to cardioid, they can make it sound pretty much like a C 12 or a U 47 set to cardioid might sound on a similarly dry, close-up studio recording--and that's what the technology is mostly used for.
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com