Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Photoshop noob help  (Read 2747 times)

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
  • Needs to get out more...
Photoshop noob help
« on: November 01, 2007, 12:02:14 PM »
Photoshop noob here...

I created a pano using the auto-merge function (very cool!) and now I'd like to apply some effects/fixes (USM).  But when I apply USM, nothing happens to my image.  I have tried to collapse the layers down but apparently haven't done it right or am missing a step.

I also have some scans that have the same problem.

Can someone give me the basic steps needed to go from the multi-layer to an image you can do effects on?  Thanks!

Offline phanophish

• Trade Count: (2)
    • ImageLume Photography
Re: Photoshop noob help
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 12:32:39 PM »
I believe any effects and filters are applied to a layer, so if you have merged and flattened then you should be a single layer.  The other possibility is I know some effects can't be preformed on high bit depth files so you might make sure you are in the correct bit depth for your color settings.  I seem to remember the pano function resulting in a high dynamic range image that could be 16+ bit depth for color. 

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: What's this?
Elwood: What?
Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?
Elwood: The what?
Jake: The Cadillac we used to have. The Blues Mobile!
Elwood: I traded it.
Jake: You traded the Blues Mobile for this?
Elwood: No. For a microphone.
Jake: A microphone? Okay I can see that.

Offline Frank in JC

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • (formerly Frank M, but that guy forgot his pwd)
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 01:18:51 PM »
Photoshop will actually grey-out the unavailable filters in 16-bit/ch mode.  The unsharp mask filter should work.  As far as I know, photomerge is exclusively 8-bit/ch anyway.

It shouldn't be necessary, but if you want to completely flatten an image, the command is Layer > Flatten Image.  Also, make sure you either have nothing selected, or the entire image selected.  If you accidentally marquee a tiny selection, you may not realize that the filter is only working on that one small area.

If you can't figure it out, maybe post a screen shot showing the layer palette. 

Favorite generic quote from Archive.org:
"This recording is SICK--it's almost as good as a soundboard!"

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 01:51:06 PM »
Thanks for the tips!  Made some progress.  Seemed to be a combo of bit depth (16 on the scans) and maybe selection issues.

stirinthesauce

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007, 03:28:00 PM »
While we are on photoshop, I have a question which I can't remember the answer for.  A while back I researched HDR imaging and how to in photoshop.  I found the answer and the technique/s for getting the images.  The problem was I had PS 6 which you couldn't do that in.  Well, I now have PS cs3 v10, but I've forgotten the process.  Any quick help?  Fall leave season is in full bloom and I want to spend Sunday on getting some dynamic photos.

Offline phanophish

• Trade Count: (2)
    • ImageLume Photography
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2007, 04:49:22 PM »
While we are on photoshop, I have a question which I can't remember the answer for.  A while back I researched HDR imaging and how to in photoshop.  I found the answer and the technique/s for getting the images.  The problem was I had PS 6 which you couldn't do that in.  Well, I now have PS cs3 v10, but I've forgotten the process.  Any quick help?  Fall leave season is in full bloom and I want to spend Sunday on getting some dynamic photos.

http://www.photoshopsupport.com/photoshop-cs3/hdr-high-dynamic-range/index.html

I've also heard good things about another application on the PPS podcast.  I don't remember the software but the podcast is worth checking out...

http://www.prophotoshow.net/blog/category/high-dynamic-range-photography/

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: What's this?
Elwood: What?
Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?
Elwood: The what?
Jake: The Cadillac we used to have. The Blues Mobile!
Elwood: I traded it.
Jake: You traded the Blues Mobile for this?
Elwood: No. For a microphone.
Jake: A microphone? Okay I can see that.

stirinthesauce

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2007, 04:15:14 PM »

http://www.photoshopsupport.com/photoshop-cs3/hdr-high-dynamic-range/index.html

I've also heard good things about another application on the PPS podcast.  I don't remember the software but the podcast is worth checking out...

http://www.prophotoshow.net/blog/category/high-dynamic-range-photography/

ahhhh, thank you sir!  +t

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com