Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Poll

Pick which

Image A
6 (24%)
Image B
15 (60%)
Image C
4 (16%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: Which Image Processing Do You Prefer?  (Read 7650 times)

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
Which Image Processing Do You Prefer?
« on: May 27, 2008, 11:23:39 PM »
I decided today to give some thought to image processing.  I mostly use Adobe Bridge/CS3 for my processing but have also used Aperture and Nikon Capture NX.

All are the same images, shot in RAW and converted to JPG straight with no adjustments at the highest setting.  The only differences are how each program reads the RAW file.

Which do you prefer, I'll reveal to you if you PM me.  In a week I will post it.  I'm interested to see if people can pick it out and which they prefer.

Please feel free to guess which is CS3, Aperture, and Nikon Capture NX!

Example A:  Original "http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2085/2529405875_e86ac30406_o.jpg"

Example B:  Original  "http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3117/2529405833_7ccde2face_o.jpg"

Example C:  Original  "http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2329/2529405817_cbfe5d6849_o.jpg"

« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 09:07:12 AM by Sanjay »
mics & cameras

Offline rowjimmytour

• Trade Count: (3)
    • My LMA bookmarks
Re: Which Image Processing Do You Prefer?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 11:28:00 PM »
Not sure if its my screen or my eye site but "C" stands out to me like a sore thumb. The colors are clear and the picture comes out of the screen w/ equal contrast and balance.
Peace
http://www.archive.org/bookmarNo
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe and saw

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 11:50:39 PM »
Looking at the pics posted, not the original fullsized, I prefer C.
A looks too thin/washed-out even slightly over-exposed while
B looks over saturated, particularly in the yellow shirt
C is a little thin but not nearly as much as A

Those impressions are using a large CRT monitor. When I opened the laptop to view them on an LCD, I got a nice place holder from flickr stating "this photo is currently unavailable" but the full sized image is accessible and it doesn't suffer from the same fate I see on the CRT. Haven't open the other two yet on the LCD and none of the full sized on the CRT. My choice may change after I look at all three on both screens.

<edit 1  full size image on LCD, I prefer B </edit 1>
<edit 2  full size image on CRT, I still prefer B but C is almost as pleasing and is much closer to B than when I view C on the LCD.

Incidentally, I voted for C in the poll, that was only after viewing the small pics on the CRT. After viewing the full sized images, I would switch my vote to B. My CRT has never been calibrated which probably has some baring on my choice. Wish I knew what the actual color of the shirt is.  I'm not gonna guess the software used since I right clicked and saw that info. </edit 2>

A loses and B wins on both CRT and LCD while C more resembles A on the LCD but is much closer to B on the CRT. Which screen I viewed the images on didn't have a big affect on my choice of which I preferrd overall but it did make a big difference in how I saw image C. There may be a bigger difference on what the image is viewed on than what software is used to produce the image.

Interesting comparison. Thanks for posting.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 12:27:32 AM by flipp »

Offline Sanjay

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 11:55:28 PM »
Thanks,

The image links should be fixed.  Sorry about that.

This is going to be very interesting.
mics & cameras

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • They're baaack! ??
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 12:39:06 AM »
going from best to worst

B  I am guessing CS3/Adobe Camera Raw
    This one has the most detail/definition, and the focus is much better than the other two.  It is oversaturated on the yellow shirt slightly, but the exposure is perfect.  Lots of detail.

C I am guessing Aperature
    Focus is lost, and the exposure looks a tad lacking.  However, I think the color representation may be the best in this one, if the exposure was just a tad better

A  I am guessing Nikon Capture NX!
    To me, the detail and focus are both lost in this one, the color is much weaker, and lacks definition.

I guessed based on what I have read.   I have only used CS2/Camera raw with Canon.  I do not like the DPP with the canon a whole lot (but that may just be lack of experience) However, I will say there is a lot of blogs etc saying that the Capture NX! is actually the best to convert raw prior to doing minor edits in CS3.  So if i had a second guess(provided i am wrong in my first guess)..i would says B = NX!  C = Camera Raw and A = Aperature

intersted thread sanjay!  i hope phanophish and Frank jump in, since they both shoot Nikon...could have more insight.
Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

Offline phanophish

• Trade Count: (2)
    • ImageLume Photography
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 07:23:28 AM »
B would be my choice as it is the only image that retains all of the highlights.  The others both loose the detail on the bench.  I'll agree with the slightly over saturated comments, but I like the rich colors so might be a bit biased there as well.

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: What's this?
Elwood: What?
Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?
Elwood: The what?
Jake: The Cadillac we used to have. The Blues Mobile!
Elwood: I traded it.
Jake: You traded the Blues Mobile for this?
Elwood: No. For a microphone.
Jake: A microphone? Okay I can see that.

Offline Frank in JC

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • (formerly Frank M, but that guy forgot his pwd)
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 08:26:01 AM »
Can't weigh in, no pictures!  Question though: Can the Nikon D2X Modes be used in Aperture?  I've been using Capture NX with D2X Mode I and Mode III almost exclusively.  Also, does it give you control over Active D-Lighting? 
Favorite generic quote from Archive.org:
"This recording is SICK--it's almost as good as a soundboard!"

Offline Sanjay

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 09:08:21 AM »
Can't weigh in, no pictures!  Question though: Can the Nikon D2X Modes be used in Aperture?  I've been using Capture NX with D2X Mode I and Mode III almost exclusively.  Also, does it give you control over Active D-Lighting? 

I don't have any f-ing Idea why the pictures keep becoming unavailable, but they should be back.  Thanks!

I believe that only Capture NX will give you control over Active D Lighting, I could be wrong.
mics & cameras

Offline rowjimmytour

• My LMA bookmarks
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 03:21:56 PM »
Not sure if its my screen or my eye site but "C" stands out to me like a sore thumb. The colors are clear and the picture comes out of the screen w/ equal contrast and balance.
Peace
I amde my choice before you added links to the actual pictures working/nonworking and based only on the pics you posted. ;D
Peace
http://www.archive.org/bookmarNo
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe and saw

Offline Frank in JC

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • (formerly Frank M, but that guy forgot his pwd)
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 05:05:24 PM »
I still don't have a clue!   Everything looks like crap on my monitor at work, but the hue and saturation of the second one is obviously different and greater than the other two.  But even on a good monitor I don't think I know enough to tell which is which.

Favorite generic quote from Archive.org:
"This recording is SICK--it's almost as good as a soundboard!"

Offline jdawg

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2008, 11:49:31 PM »
Couldn't tell you which tool was used because I don't have experience with all those tools. As far as color correctness goes, I'd have to go with "A". Especially in the color of the jeans. In "B", the jeans have a purplish hue to them. In "C", the blue seems a little off. This is based off the full size images.

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2008, 06:14:07 PM »
I like B>C>A
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
  • Audio DeutchKraft & Busman Audio
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2008, 03:05:13 AM »
B, hands down.
Co-Founder of F.M.Recording 
SD: Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > Grace Lunatec V3 > Busman Hybrid R4
LD: ADK A-51TL MP > Busman Hybrid R4
+ 48 Channel Multi-track rig

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 2x Extender Mark III, Canon 15mm f2.8, Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon 100mm Macro f2.8, Canon 16-35mm L f2.8, Canon 24-70mm L f/2.8, Canon 70-200mm L f2.8 IS, Canon ST-E2, Canon 580ex II (x2), Canon 430ex II, PocketWizard PLUS II(x4), Radiopopper PX System

http://jmimna.com/

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

Offline baustin

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2008, 01:48:08 PM »
B>A>C

B - looks well balanced. the yellow on his shirt looks correct.

A - too dark in spots, but i see the most detail in his jeans. the curve on the left side of the bench looks pixelated.

C - ground tiles look too light, not much detail in the bench he's sitting on, and i don't like the color of his jeans

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2008, 02:28:33 PM »
Tough to make a call on color representation, since I wasn't there for the original scene, but...

A -- a bit brighter / washed out relative to B, but the blues in the jeans look right to me

B -- most contrast of the three, perhaps a bit more detail (though maybe the added contrast is fooling me), but the blues in the jeans look a bit purple to me

C -- most washed out / softest of the bunch, blue jeans look a bit too blue

At first glance, on my Dell Latitude laptop, I prefer B.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.09 seconds with 46 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com