Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: taping busking?  (Read 5061 times)

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
taping busking?
« on: September 22, 2008, 06:02:41 PM »
Any suggestions for taping buskers (street performers)?

An artist I've taped a few times wants a recording of him and a friend busking...it should definitely sound like they are out on the street, but still the music needs to be clear.  Acoustic guitar and fiddle, maybe some vocals too.

Looking for both configuration advice, also thoughts on placement.  Something with a single point LD stereo mic would be ideal, but also have cards, hypers, and omnis at my disposal although the omnis have to go into an iRiver analog in.

Thanks!

Offline tgakidis

• Trade Count: (552)
    • My Recordings on the Archive:
Re: taping busking?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 06:05:14 PM »
My LSD2 in the yard sale would be great blumein (Shamless Plug >:D)
GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics:
Schoeps: CMC6 x 4, CMC1K x 2, KC 5G x 2, MK4,MK4V,MK41,MK21,MK22,MK8 x 2
Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+
Telefunken: TF-11 x 2, ELA M 260 x 4, M960FS x 2, TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2, M60,TK60 x2
AKG: c426b, AKG c34, nBob Actives>PFA x4, CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2
AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Pres:
Sonosax SX-AD8+ / Sonosax SX-M2D2 / Sonosax SX-M2 / Lunatec V3
Recs:
Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

Offline Will_S

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 06:11:02 PM »
sorry, already have one.  Was definitely considering blumlein.   :D

Offline run_run_run

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 07:07:55 PM »

Offline indietaperwloo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 07:13:16 PM »
Try binaural.  That's the way I've been doing it ever since I got into taping and every tape I've made sounds awesome (well almost lol).  It's more portable this way and you don't have to worry about grabbing gear every time they move.
Portable 2 track:
Sennheiser MKE2 (HRTF) > Edirol R-09
AT822 > Edirol R-09
Studio Projects C4 (ORTF/XY) > Presonus Firepod > Edirol R-09

4 Track Open Rig:
Studio Projects C4 (ORTF)/FOH Feed > Edirol R4

FOH:
Mackie 1604 VLZ Pro > dbx 215 Graphic EQ > Behringer PMX2000 (Power Amp Section) > Behringer B1220 Mains

Multitrack:
Mackie 1604 VLZ Pro > Tascam DA-38 w/Burr Brown Op-amps

Out:
M-Audio Fast Track Pro > Mackie 1604 VLZ Pro > ESI nEar05 nearfields OR AKG K99 Headphones

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 07:24:14 PM »
Binaural is very good, but earphones re required to listen to true binaural.  The J-disc seems a very good way to go.  MS would be good, too, as you can play with the side and center in post.  If your mics allow the option of free-field that is good also.  For quick and dirty I'd opt for MS first and J-disc second mostly because of the bulkiness of the J-disc over the MS.
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 09:00:48 PM »
Binaural is very good, but earphones re required to listen to true binaural.  The J-disc seems a very good way to go.  MS would be good, too, as you can play with the side and center in post.  If your mics allow the option of free-field that is good also.  For quick and dirty I'd opt for MS first and J-disc second mostly because of the bulkiness of the J-disc over the MS.

If you put mics closer to the front of your head (ie., over your temples), hat worn mics can sound good on both speakers and headphones.  I believe this is the idea pioneered by GuySonic on this board.

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2008, 10:18:51 PM »
Capture the feeling of street space, the openness of the busking environment - J-disc or head worn omnis instead of anything coincident. You'll be there smelling the diesel exhaust again as the bus passes.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2008, 03:48:45 AM »
I have done binaural with SoundMan DK mics in my ears: true binaural.  The sound played back through earphones is eerily real.  A passing truck in on a track I had recorded scared the living crap out of me.
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline Will_S

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2008, 11:29:04 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  I guess I'll run my Sennheiser MKE2s HRTF, and also my LSD2 m/s for a few takes and Blumlein for a few more.  I was actually really looking for suggestions on placement, i.e. how far from the performers and how far apart should they be?  I guess I'll need to get right on top of them if it's unamplified.

Offline crackmc

• Taperssection Member
  • nein dispatch says zer is problem mit deine kable
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2008, 11:24:25 AM »
i've been wondering about this recently, too...i got a job in SF recently. i'm in the Powell Street BART station twice every day, and there's almost always a busker there doing something cool. so far i've seen:

an old Mexican guy with a cowboy hat and an acoustic guitar playing Rancheras
a 4-piece a cappella gospel ensemble
a guy with a harmonica/electric guitar/drum machine
a bunch of solo guitarists & sax players
a handful of crackheads preaching verses from the crackhead bible

i've been considering getting a larger Pelican case with wheels so i can take my rig to work every day.
you'll love it
it's a way of life

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2008, 12:29:25 PM »
If it's nice and quiet in the middle of a park, away from traffic, put a blumlein rig between them, that would probably be superb...

But if you are on the sidewalk of a busy street, my gut feeling is that omnis and blumlein will pick up too much external noise, and I would concentrate on trying to avoid that external noise.  I would use cards (or maybe even hypers), pointed directly at each performer... ideally they are standing side by side and you can run XY/DIN/NOS/AB pointed at them from a few feet away.

I'm not saying I'm right, but this is the strategy I would try first, and probably I would learn something from that so that I would get it right the 2nd or 3rd time.
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline Will_S

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2008, 12:53:25 PM »
Keep the suggestions coming folks.

I should add, the artist wants the resultant recording to have the feel of being out on the street busking.  So some external noise is desirable, but I can still see how Blumlein or omnis would make it excessive.

Offline 612

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Minneapolis, MN
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2008, 04:49:44 PM »
Very cool thread. Working downtown Minneapolis there are people all up and down Nicollet. I've really wanted to try some stuff out with the SP-C4s.

+Ts all around
Empty's Tapes & My recordings on the LMA

"Keep active, stay positive..." - a wise man

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2008, 10:59:00 PM »
Any suggestions for taping buskers (street performers)?

An artist I've taped a few times wants a recording of him and a friend busking...it should definitely sound like they are out on the street, but still the music needs to be clear.  Acoustic guitar and fiddle, maybe some vocals too.

Looking for both configuration advice, also thoughts on placement.  Something with a single point LD stereo mic would be ideal, but also have cards, hypers, and omnis at my disposal although the omnis have to go into an iRiver analog in.

Thanks!

I'd go with binaural omnis....

http://www.freesound.org/samplesViewSingle.php?id=38570

- What's this knob do?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com