Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Is this possible???  (Read 2643 times)

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
Is this possible???
« on: October 22, 2011, 03:57:14 PM »
I'm having a lot of fun with my new Josephson C700S microphone, and had an interesting experience yesterday taping a classical string quartet (the Brentano).  I have taped about 2-3 dozen string quartets over the past 5 years in the same venue, usually using Blumlein stereo (with an AKG C426B) or a Jecklin disc (with Schoeps MK2S, Sanken K100s or Josephson C617s).  Setting up the C700S yesterday I was monitoring only the X and Y channels using a Sonosax MiniR82 (headphone-out decoding the M/S signal, not the center omni) I noticed something "off" that I never heard with my other setups, namely that although the second violin and cello in the back seemed to be in roughly the correct place when I closed my eyes and tried to "see" the image with my ears, the first violin up front was off.  It took me about a minute of worrying to realize that I sit two-three feet to the right of my stand, when I stood and moved over the imaging was perfect.  The three feet never resulted in my discomfort with the imaging of other setups. 

I saw David Josephson today at the AES meeting, he assures me that they have heard stories like this from other users.  I'll be taping a baroque orchestral group next week, stereo imaging of the sound stage will be further tested.  The imaging of this mic is SHARP, but I never realized I was dealing with blurry before.

Other AES: the folks at iZotope showed me some amazing reasons to upgrade from RX2 to RX2 Advanced.  Also, Bruce Myers apparently left DPA US back in May, anyone know what happened there?

Jeff

Offline ironbut

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Is this possible???
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 12:10:24 AM »
I upgraded from RX2 to Advanced a couple of months back when they had a great special going on.
I'll never regret it. Aside from the added functionality, everything just seems to be more predictable and exact.

Now I'm waiting for Ozone 5/advanced!

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 04:48:13 PM »
The imaging of this mic is SHARP, but I never realized I was dealing with blurry before.

I've notice something similar with my on-stage recordings using the Tetramic.  A degree of source location solidity I didn't realize until I used it serveral times in the same situations I had recorded previously with other arrays.  Didn't realise the lack of it until I heard it.  I've no doubt that Josephson is sharper still.  It's interesting in that the specific sharpness aspect can be a postitive or negative atribute, depending on the situation.  Sometimes I'll use multiple omnis (3  to 5) at the same time as the Tetramic and the resulting recordings end up far more similar in timbre, dynamics, and in other aspects than I initally thought they would, the primary difference being the extra sharp source placement vs a more diffused blend of sources.  That diffuse blending can be a benefit sometimes.. other times the sharp imaging is great.

Other AES: the folks at iZotope showed me some amazing reasons to upgrade from RX2 to RX2 Advanced.  Also, Bruce Myers apparently left DPA US back in May, anyone know what happened there?

Didn't know about Bruce's departure.  I'll be watching for a future deal on RX2 advanced.  I'll have to give the demo a spin when I get a chance.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 05:37:47 PM »
The imaging of this mic is SHARP, but I never realized I was dealing with blurry before.

I've notice something similar with my on-stage recordings using the Tetramic.  A degree of source location solidity I didn't realize until I used it serveral times in the same situations I had recorded previously with other arrays.  Didn't realise the lack of it until I heard it.  I've no doubt that Josephson is sharper still.  It's interesting in that the specific sharpness aspect can be a postitive or negative atribute, depending on the situation.  Sometimes I'll use multiple omnis (3  to 5) at the same time as the Tetramic and the resulting recordings end up far more similar in timbre, dynamics, and in other aspects than I initally thought they would, the primary difference being the extra sharp source placement vs a more diffused blend of sources.  That diffuse blending can be a benefit sometimes.. other times the sharp imaging is great.

I'll catch this every now and then. While you don't catch the euphoria of a good gooey transformer or the transistor sound of a sonosax, the soundstage detail is addictive in it's own way.

Its one of the reasons I generally don't like multi-mic mixes when they come from the same/similar location, you smear that soundstage detail. Personal preference, but that was what I thought of in response to your comment on "diffuse blending".

I upgraded from RX2 to Advanced a couple of months back when they had a great special going on.
I'll never regret it. Aside from the added functionality, everything just seems to be more predictable and exact.

Now I'm waiting for Ozone 5/advanced!

+1

RX Adv rocks. I don't need the Advanced features often, but when I do they come in real handy...

I too am waiting to see what comes in Ozone 5. It's one the best value/cost plugins I can find.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 05:40:36 PM by page »
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 06:23:44 PM »
Its one of the reasons I generally don't like multi-mic mixes when they come from the same/similar location, you smear that soundstage detail. Personal preference, but that was what I thought of in response to your comment on "diffuse blending".

I hear you and agree.  I prefer doing multi-mic mixes when the mics are far enough apart to not have much of that smear problem.  I don't like doing it with four mics relatively close together like I see alot of guys do.  What I was refering to above were multiple mics A-B spaced across a relatively wide section of stage for example, which are far enough apart so that each 'has a unique identity and contribution' for lack of a better way of putting it, but are still arranged in an array in contrast to close or section mic'ing.  The advantage is a more even pickup of everything and a resulting 'blended' image, which can be a benefit when a single point recording location may be shadowed for some sources, like if someone or something blocks the mic, or if things change unexpectedly, or if the levels of the sources are less than ideally balanced.  Ironically, I also find the soundstage detail addictive and desirable, yet the 'blended and more diffuse' image is closer to what I actually hear at the gig.  Sometimes it's hard to choose which I like more when both recordings work well.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.048 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com