Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SP-BMC-12  (Read 6564 times)

Offline Wiesel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
SP-BMC-12
« on: January 17, 2005, 05:39:45 PM »
What do you think of the SP-BMC-12? Does anyone have some experience with these?

I'm currently looking for some decent mics which don't cost more than 150 to 200$. The mics of SP which you're talking about the whole time are all cardioids, but I want omnis, which should be better if you want to move a litte bit while recording. The only alternative I've found are the SP-BMC-6, but they're unavailable.

Are the AT350 better than Panasonic WM60 caps? And is a max SPL of 110dB (125dB with batt box) high enough for recording loud metal concerts?

Offline Weazel

• Taperssection Regular
  • sp-cmc-8-> DIY BB -> Iriver IHP120 (rockbox)
Re: SP-BMC-12
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2005, 05:44:05 PM »
im curiuos about these ones.

http://www.reactivesounds.com/am2.php

anyone tried these?
-[ pop goes the weazel ...]-

Offline hhf32

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2005, 08:51:44 PM »
im curiuos about these ones.

http://www.reactivesounds.com/am2.php

anyone tried these?

With only 105db SPL I don't know how good these would be for louder shows.
AKG 461's>digimod UA5>JB3

Offline Humbug

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Humbug Hum Rejection Unit
    • Trading site
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2005, 06:01:08 AM »
What do you think of the SP-BMC-12? Does anyone have some experience with these?

I've never heard a show recorded with them, which is all most of us can judge them on.

I wouldn't recommend the low cost binaurals from Core Sound, but you might want to consider Church Audios. I heard a nice recording with them recently:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3281&item=5744237429

Still feeling jumpy and excitable? You might be happy enough with recordings you'll make right now, but I'd like to bet that in 10 years time you'll look back on your early recordings and wish you'd shut up and stood a little more still.

I've stealthed around 100 shows, and its not true you have to stand stock still; You can sway a little, tap your foot, and it won't affect the sound. Just don't move suddenly, and keep facing forward.

The reason a majority of stealthers use Cardioid pattern mics (unless you've got the money to blow on DPA4061s, of course), is that the results are crisper, and you eliminate some of the audience noise around you. Up to you, of course.
UK based taper: MK4>Nbox Platinum>PCM-M10
AT853C>CA9200 / PIPsqueak>Tascam DR-2D

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Humbug66

Offline fandelive

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2005, 06:44:04 AM »
I've never heard a show recorded with them, which is all most of us can judge them on.

Here is a 30 seconds sample made with SP-BMC-12.
Recorded from a sit, 1st row, dead center, in true binaural mode (clipped to the rims of my eye glasses).

http://cmlien.free.fr/bk.mp3

SP-BMC-12 > SP-SPSB-6524 (line-in/no bass roll-off) > Sony MZ-R700PC

Keep in mind this is only from an acoustic showcase given in front of a small audience in a records shop (nothing to do with a metal concert  ;D).

Mics : Sony ECM-717, MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod), SP-CMC-4 (at853), 2x DPA4060, 2x DPA4061
Battery box : SP-SPSB-6524 w/bass roll-off filter, MM-CBM-1
Preamp : Church Audio CA-9100
Recorders : Sony MZR-700PC, Edirol R-09HR, Tascam DR-2d

Offline Wiesel

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2005, 03:30:38 PM »
Still feeling jumpy and excitable? You might be happy enough with recordings you'll make right now, but I'd like to bet that in 10 years time you'll look back on your early recordings and wish you'd shut up and stood a little more still.

Yes, thats true... but I could even be happy to have a bad recording instead of having no recording at all ;) But you're right.

...don't move suddenly, and keep facing forward.

The reason a majority of stealthers use Cardioid pattern mics (...), is that the results are crisper, and you eliminate some of the audience noise around you.

Yes, the main problem with the cardioids is that you have to keep facing forward. If you turn to the side, the volume and quality might decrease more than with omnis (at least I think so, don't know really).

The sound sample of the SP-BMC-12 is sounding pretty good... if their max SPL would be enough then they could be a serious choice for me.

Offline fandelive

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2005, 02:25:08 AM »
The sound sample of the SP-BMC-12 is sounding pretty good... if their max SPL would be enough then they could be a serious choice for me.

A max SPL of 125dB (you'll have to power the mics using a battery-box) is enough.  ;)
Mics : Sony ECM-717, MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod), SP-CMC-4 (at853), 2x DPA4060, 2x DPA4061

Offline Wiesel

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2005, 06:09:21 AM »
I just wanted to order them but the lowest shipping fee to europe is 30$... and then I'll have to pay custom fees also (+12% and then +20%). To the 100$ mics would cost me 175$. That's too much.

Does anybody know a european dealer where I could also get good mics?

Offline Humbug

• Trading site
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2005, 07:06:46 AM »
I just wanted to order them but the lowest shipping fee to europe is 30$... and then I'll have to pay custom fees also (+12% and then +20%). To the 100$ mics would cost me 175$. That's too much.

Does anybody know a european dealer where I could also get good mics?

You can try AT in whichever country you live in, but I would expect the SP price (even with shipping and import duty), will still be less than you can buy locally. Its pretty hard finding decent stealth mics in Europe (though, aren't OKM based in Europe?)

Maybe you could try a Sony ECM-717 clip on mic, or the Church Audio mics already suggested.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2005, 07:08:39 AM by Humbug »

Offline Wiesel

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2005, 07:44:27 AM »
hmm I don't like the sony mics... and the church audio mics don't make a serious impression to me. (An ebay page where every sentence is written in another color and the mic frequency responce is abvertised with 20 Hz to 40 kHz can't be very serious, or what do you think?)

The OKM's come from germany, but I've never read something good about them in this forums.

Offline fandelive

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2005, 07:53:33 AM »

You could pick a pair of Giant Squid Audio Labs Omnis. These are from the states too, but Darren will ship them in a standard carton box (no Fed-Ex). You'll only have to pay 10USD for shipping. Nothing more.

You can eventually ask Chris from Soundpros if he'd be willing to do the same...

Offline Humbug

• Trading site
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2005, 08:38:10 AM »
hmm I don't like the sony mics...

Why not? For a budget mic, and right now thats what you're after, they produce a nice sound.

and the church audio mics don't make a serious impression to me. (An ebay page where every sentence is written in another color and the mic frequency responce is abvertised with 20 Hz to 40 kHz can't be very serious, or what do you think?)

Hmm 40 kHz..doesnt sound right. All I can go on is one recording (Rich Robinson @ Glasgow) I've heard that was really very nice sounding.

Offline Wiesel

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2005, 09:07:58 AM »
hmm I don't like the sony mics...

Why not? For a budget mic, and right now thats what you're after, they produce a nice sound.

Because I can't make "binaural"-type recordings with them. And the frequency respose is only 100Hz to 15kHz.

The Giant Squid Omnis use panasonic elements, right? I can built such omnis by myself. I even have them.

How can I contact Chris from Soundpros?

Offline Humbug

• Trading site
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2005, 09:42:25 AM »

techsupport@soundprofessionals.com

Offline jk labs

• Taperssection Regular
  • Straight wire!
    • Mics, pre and ADC...
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2005, 05:06:42 AM »
hmm I don't like the sony mics... and the church audio mics don't make a serious impression to me. (An ebay page where every sentence is written in another color and the mic frequency responce is abvertised with 20 Hz to 40 kHz can't be very serious, or what do you think?)

The OKM's come from germany, but I've never read something good about them in this forums.

If we guess at what capsules Church Audio is using, AND we accept information posted to this list about what OKM is up to, then I think your current mics actually are in the same league.

Possible mods to the caps as well as the somewhat unusual OKM A3 power module represent the range of variation possible and both help extend the dynamic range upwards to respectable SPLs. But I do think it represents only a marginal improvement to what you have.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.092 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com