Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: matched pair, bodies??  (Read 2390 times)

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
matched pair, bodies??
« on: February 13, 2006, 12:18:24 PM »
does the bodie itself have anything to do with a "matched pair" of mics?
or is it just the caps

i am wondering if i let my friend use my caps on his bodies if it will make a difference

thanks
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
Re: matched pair, bodies??
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2006, 12:52:36 PM »
or is it just the caps

i am wondering if i let my friend use my caps on his bodies if it will make a difference

thanks

Depending on the maufacturer there are both matched bodies as well as matched caps.  There has been tons of discussion about the pros and cons on matched vs. unmatched.  My personal opinion is buying matched is just a personal preference and does not affect the sound or the ability to record very much, if at all.  My card caps from AKG are off by 700 numbers almost and are not a matched pair.  They are off by almost 1db though which to me is a minor adjustment on the V3.

I think matching is more marketing than anything.

Mix matching same manufacture should not make much difference at all. 

Offline willndmb

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2006, 12:55:57 PM »
thanks for the info
i guess i will just tell him that on my bodies the caps are less then 1db off (akg as well) and let him figure it out on his
+t
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)

Offline Ryan Sims

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • A vision of a gentle coast
    • Something
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2006, 03:57:49 PM »
How does one test how well matched a pair are?
Ryan (minus sign) Sims dot com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryan-sims/

No single raindrop believes it's to blame for the flood.

Offline willndmb

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2006, 07:47:42 PM »
what i did, which doesn't mean its right
is i sent a 0db whitenoise from my comp into my mics with my svu, i found my one mic was about 1db different

CHURCH-AUDIO

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2006, 12:10:55 PM »
Matching matters because you want your gear to be symmetrical so that when you use a mic technique it actually works by using un symmetrical mics you can actually introduce side effects that were not in the original space like phase cancellation in order for most mic techniques to work you have to have mics with the same polar pattern and amplitude this makes recording easier most companies that make mics use 5% components or even worse 10% this is a built in what I call shit factor where matching becomes more luck then science good companies use precision components in there designs makes it easy to match mics a body/preamp is a part of the microphone a MAJOR part  capsules most capsules do not have any fet transistors inside them they simply are giant capacitors they hold a charge and thru the variation of the charge change the capacitance of the output terminal of the capsule this low level signal needs to be amplified by the mic body/preamp if the preamp is built well it should be close but more often then not the preamp body is off by 05 to as much as 4 db and if the company is using transformer you can add changes in distortion level and in frequency response and they are also subject to insertion loss meaning all transformers are passive devices they eat voltage for breakfast and cause a loss in output most transformers are still made the same way by a winding machine tension of the windings and length of wire result in changes in performance even one of the most respected transformer companies in the world Jenson has trouble making transformers that are perfectly matched so Yes it does matter I would argue this with anyone

Matching does the following

1- Keeps the sound field balance
2- Reduces distortion
3- Maintains the stereo image better adjusting via a VU meter between left and right is not as accurate as having a matched pair of mics to begin with also LED level indicators can be off by as much as 10% from each other. That’s why in the studio we have real level meters
4- Keeps noise down by not having to amp one side up later on via computer or gain control
5- Because I said so best reason on this list

For example we match our mics by absolute level at 1k at 114db by measuring the mill volt output with the preamp in the chain that will be used for the pair we also use LMS to make sure frequency as well as level are correct and match each other we use 1% value resistors and caps in our preamps so that left and right are matched as well as they can be

or is it just the caps

thanks

Offline JasonR

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Schoepsoholic
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2006, 12:23:52 PM »
Matching matters because you want your gear to be symmetrical so that when you use a mic technique it actually works by using un symmetrical mics you can actually introduce side effects that were not in the original space like phase cancellation in order for most mic techniques to work you have to have mics with the same polar pattern and amplitude this makes recording easier most companies that make mics use 5% components or even worse 10% this is a built in what I call shit factor where matching becomes more luck then science good companies use precision components in there designs makes it easy to match mics a body/preamp is a part of the microphone a MAJOR part  capsules most capsules do not have any fet transistors inside them they simply are giant capacitors they hold a charge and thru the variation of the charge change the capacitance of the output terminal of the capsule this low level signal needs to be amplified by the mic body/preamp if the preamp is built well it should be close but more often then not the preamp body is off by 05 to as much as 4 db and if the company is using transformer you can add changes in distortion level and in frequency response and they are also subject to insertion loss meaning all transformers are passive devices they eat voltage for breakfast and cause a loss in output most transformers are still made the same way by a winding machine tension of the windings and length of wire result in changes in performance even one of the most respected transformer companies in the world Jenson has trouble making transformers that are perfectly matched so Yes it does matter I would argue this with anyone

Chris - have you considered switching to decaf?

;D

Seriously though, thanks for sharing the info...

- Jason
Schoeps MK21,MK4,MK41,MK41V,MK8 > CMC5/Naiant Tinybox/PFAs > Sound Devices 744T, Sony PCM-M10
DPA 4060 (CS HEB) > SD 744T, M10

CHURCH-AUDIO

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2006, 03:40:47 PM »
I know I was on a rant lol oh well what brand do you recommend?

Chris Church

Chris - have you considered switching to decaf?

;D

Seriously though, thanks for sharing the info...

- Jason

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com