Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Clamp / mount solution for an open noob?  (Read 4723 times)

Offline whatboutbob

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • A very happy chappy right now...
Clamp / mount solution for an open noob?
« on: June 18, 2006, 12:01:28 PM »
Hey folks,

After about a year of stealthing mostly taper-friendly bands, because I'm dubious of aussie venues accepting taping, I've decided to out myself as a taper to a couple of my favourite local venues to try to convince them to let me give open-taping a shot.  It may backfire on me, but my confidence has been boosted recently because the single venue where I've taped one show openly (Jason Mraz) just hunted me down to ask me to come back in and tape a few shows for 'em.

I think the venues' main concerns will be the footprint of a stand and view-blocking, so I figure clamping will be my best shot.  There's a few ledges and rails that I think will be perfect @ about 4 ft height in front of thick concrete poles, but I've got absolutely no idea what equipment I need.  I've read oodles of threads, but I'm a bit thick when it comes to figuring stuff out from descriptions/photos...I need to play with things before I understand them.  So I'd appreciate some assistance with *exactly* what I need, so I can just buy it and then figure out how to use it.

Currently all I have is a gooseneck t-mount which looks something like this: http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/ISI-TMHMA-1
It has a 5/8 thread on it.

I've also got a ~12ft light stand with no thread on it.  The top extension(?) is about 4 ft long and 1 inch thick and is detachable from the stand so I figure this might be useful?

My new mics are audix m1290's.  I imagine I'll only ever run them A-B or X-Y (but I suppose a year ago I figured a pair of Giant Squid omni mics would cover me too...so future-proofing may be in order...as long as it doesn't get ridiculously expensive).

Thanks for reading.
Mics: Audix m1290's, AT943's (w/ AT853 C/O/H caps), AT853's
Power: PS-2, Homebrew 3wbb, SPSB-6
Pre/AD: UA-5 (BM2p+), CA-9100, AD-20
Recorder: iriver H120, H160

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
Re: Clamp / mount solution for an open noob?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2006, 10:13:42 PM »
If the place wants you as a regular taper, you could maybe look into a ceiling mount, or possibly a more permanent fixture. 
mics & cameras

Offline whatboutbob

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2006, 11:23:42 AM »
Thanks for the pointers guys.

Sanjay: I'm happy to use a stand at the regular venue...I'm shopping around for a low-profile clamp solution for the probably not-quite-so-accommodating 'other' venues I'll be hitting up.

Ergh...ok...so  I'm still going a little nutty over this.  I tried calling bhphotovideo but it seems their store stays truly compartmentalised just like their website so no one person could talk me thru the full package i need.

Could I get an extendable vertical clamp solution with:

the bogen manfrotto super clamp and or mini-clamp
the bogen manfrotto extension: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=5364&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

I still don't understand how stuff runs out of the clamps, so I've no idea what adaptors i need.

Basically I want to be able to clamp on to a horizontal or vertical surface and run up between 3ft and 5 ft, topped with my gooseneck tbar with a 5/8 female thread.

It looks like its gonna cost me an extra 100% to to get stuff shipped to Oz too. :(

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2006, 11:57:12 AM »
Could I get an extendable vertical clamp solution with:

the bogen manfrotto super clamp and or mini-clamp
the bogen manfrotto extension: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=5364&is=REG&addedTroughType=search
[snip]
Basically I want to be able to clamp on to a horizontal or vertical surface and run up between 3ft and 5 ft, topped with my gooseneck tbar with a 5/8 female thread.

Here's what you'll need, in total:

<01>  Big clamp, check
<02>  Extension arm, check
<03>  Mini extension arm to enable horz or vert mounting regardless of the clamp's orientation
<04>  Adapters required to connect extension arm with Superclamp's standard stud (5/8" stud w/ 1/4" male thread) or the mini-extension arm (and if your gooseneck has a 5/8" female thread, these solutions will work to connect it to the stud / mini-extension arm, too)
    OR

1 Or equivalent adapters;  I know these are available elsewhere cheaper - maybe even different brands on the B&H site - but I don't recall where, or for how much.  Also, FWIW, I prefer <04> <b> over <a> - I find it's easier to change around.

Bogen / Manfrotto is an international company, so you may be able to find these parts in Oz (though perhaps they'll require special order from a local shop if they're not stocked).  I think Bogen is the USA branding company, while Manfrotto is the branding company for the rest of the world (not positive on that, though).
« Last Edit: June 19, 2006, 03:26:01 PM by Brian Skalinder »
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline dank

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • cold irons bound
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2006, 03:21:09 PM »
Just ordered the Mini Extension Arm.  Being able to 'change the orientation' of the clamp was the last thing I needed to accomplish; this does it.

Here's the link, Brian's hyperlink didnt work for me:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=5200&is=REG&addedTroughType=search
Mics: DPA 4021, AT 933, AKG CK31, CK32
Pre:  Sonosax SX-M2
Recorders: Oade ACM PMD660, Tascam DR-60D, Tascam DR-2D, Sony PCM-M10[x2]
DIME List: http://www.dimeadozen.org/account-details.php?id=919941

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2006, 03:27:19 PM »
Here's the link, Brian's hyperlink didnt work for me:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=5200&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

Whoops, looks like I created a placeholder but forgot to add the link.  Thanks for the update.  Original post now modded to include the proper link.
Roland R-05

Offline whatboutbob

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2006, 05:31:11 PM »
Thanks so much guys.

Offline whatboutbob

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2006, 12:49:20 AM »
Bogen / Manfrotto is an international company, so you may be able to find these parts in Oz (though perhaps they'll require special order from a local shop if they're not stocked).  I think Bogen is the USA branding company, while Manfrotto is the branding company for the rest of the world (not positive on that, though).

Brian: You are an absolute star!!!  I've bloody well been searching Australia for "Bogen" gear with no luck, so I just assumed we didn't have it.  It never occurred to me that it went under Manfrotto branding down here.  Sure enough, there's a shop about 10 minutes walk from work with just about the whole Manfrotto line, so I'm going in for a play later this week.  Thanks again!

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2006, 01:50:27 AM »

Brian: You are an absolute star!!!  I've bloody well been searching Australia for "Bogen" gear with no luck, so I just assumed we didn't have it.  It never occurred to me that it went under Manfrotto branding down here.  Sure enough, there's a shop about 10 minutes walk from work with just about the whole Manfrotto line, so I'm going in for a play later this week.  Thanks again!

Ghetto clamping:
- gooseneck lamp with clamp.  Remove lamp, put heatshrink around the gooseneck (so it is black)
- thin copper pipe (for air conditioning lines, etc), cover with heat shrink tubing.  very flexible
- carpenters clamps.  various types, up to 36" span.  That works good on a pillar.

Repurpose everything.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline whatboutbob

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2006, 02:17:05 AM »
...and all this from a man who doesn't own a hammer?  >:D

Offline whatboutbob

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2006, 08:45:09 AM »
I got just about everything I need today.  It made an awful lot more sense when I got to play with it all in the store.

Now I've just gotta figure out how to clamp to a big-arse concrete pole (1ft by 1ft) in one of my fave venues.  I'm thinking I may just end up taping the extension pole to it.

Thanks again!

Offline dank

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • cold irons bound
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2006, 02:17:50 PM »
May want to hit up a hardware store and get a clamp. 

Something along these lines, perhaps:
http://www.adjustableclamp.com/bl-3500dr.htm

Clamp that to the concrete pillar, and then clamp a SuperClamp to the aluminum bar of the clamp.

Seen guys rig something similar to this up at shows.
Mics: DPA 4021, AT 933, AKG CK31, CK32
Pre:  Sonosax SX-M2
Recorders: Oade ACM PMD660, Tascam DR-60D, Tascam DR-2D, Sony PCM-M10[x2]
DIME List: http://www.dimeadozen.org/account-details.php?id=919941

Offline Colin Liston

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2006, 02:50:15 PM »

You want a Bogen super clamp and one of these

http://www.cardelliniclamp.com/products.htm

Occasionally....music mics record

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2006, 03:14:29 PM »
Now I've just gotta figure out how to clamp to a big-arse concrete pole (1ft by 1ft) in one of my fave venues.  I'm thinking I may just end up taping the extension pole to it.

That's what I do - gaffer tape my clamp or extension pole or gooseneck to the big-ass post.  Works well.  Alternatively, you could also use a strap clamp, e.g. a tie down, to secure your clamp to the post and then attach the rest of your gear as you would normally.
Roland R-05

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2006, 04:12:19 PM »

That's what I do - gaffer tape my clamp or extension pole or gooseneck to the big-ass post.  Works well.  Alternatively, you could also use a strap clamp, e.g. a tie down, to secure your clamp to the post and then attach the rest of your gear as you would normally.

I have just taped my stand to the post many times.  I have a posi-lock boom adaptor I use to get the right angle... works great!  http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/OnStage-Stands-PosiLok-MiniMini-Boom?sku=452054  Mine however actually came with 3 different sizes of extentions.  I think I got it on ebay for about $25 shipped

In this pic I used a posi-lock boom on top of the stand then then just a regular boom at the vert bar to get out from the post and at a good angle to the PA/stage.  This one is from the Cabooze in MN and I have done the same thing with a light stand resting on the ground at the base of the post in other venues.    I actually prefer to be up against a post if it is in a good sounding spot... hard for a drunken wook to take out a post.  Using a stand resting on a hard surface is more sturdy that taping or staping a clamp to the post IMO.

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com