Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DPA Cardioids (or, Nirvana)  (Read 9465 times)

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
DPA Cardioids (or, Nirvana)
« on: April 30, 2007, 03:07:55 PM »
Anybody got news about a cardioid 406x?

Thanks!

It hasnt been released yet. They have released full body versions of the 4060/4061 though, and rumours are that the mini card is near..

Bruce Myers was reportedly showing some demos of the DPA4080 a couple of weeks ago.  He is really excited about them, and I am salivating.  They are the first in a new series of micro cardioids, and might be released by the end of the year, with other versions to follow.  Not like the head-worn one from a few years ago with a 1" proximity effect bass roll-off, more of a lapel mic, the later models to have a roll-off distance similar to 1/2" diameter series.  But even this 4080 is supposed to blow away other cardioid minis.  Pricing not determined but of the order of magnitude of 4060s, as you'd expect.  Will work with the MMA6000.

The line forms right here, behind me.

Jeff

(anyone know how Peluso is doing on micro-cardioids?)

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Retired Taper
Re: DPA Cardioids (or, Nirvana)
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007, 03:22:08 PM »
So do I understand this correctly that they will be the same size as the 4060's?
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 03:23:23 PM »
So do I understand this correctly that they will be the same size as the 4060's?

I think he described them as looking like wee tiny shotguns, so maybe a bit longer.

Jeff

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2007, 03:25:27 PM »
Interesting.  I wonder how they'll compare to the 402x series?

Edit to add:  I meant in regards to size & sonic qualities.  If they sound even close (or are comparable to the 4060's in quality) it wouldn't be bad to have a pair of the 4060 & 4080 in the arsenal & much cheaper than the 402x series.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 03:39:08 PM by thegreatgumbino »
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2007, 03:25:59 PM »
Hmm now do I hold out on getting new mics for a few more months?   :-\  :hmmm:
« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 04:51:02 PM by johnw »
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007, 03:35:44 PM »
...The line forms right here, behind me.

Oooo. Camping out in line..
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2007, 05:16:11 PM »
I leg wrassle anyone to get to the front of the line (well, maybe after jeff). This is actually kind of c0ol!

lets go!
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline grider

• Trade Count: (6)
  • always give more than you take
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2007, 05:28:39 PM »
good news, no doubt about it, but I personally wish they would spend their r&d dollars on a pair of hypercardoid caps, that would be of substantial interest to me, maybe something like the 4023 with lemo connectors so we could own both card and hypercard caps and use the same active cables

Offline JD

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2007, 01:09:24 AM »

I think he described them as looking like wee tiny shotguns, so maybe a bit longer.

Jeff

Sweet, I've been waiting for these! ;D
Mics: DPA 4022, 4060; Nevaton MC51, MCE400; Gefell sms2000, m20, m21, m27
Pres: DPA MMA6000; Grace V2; Portico 5012; Sonosax SX-M2
Recorders: Edirol R09hr, Sound Devices 722

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2007, 01:15:13 AM »
interesting. very interesting.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline boojum

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2007, 02:07:10 AM »
So, OK, what's the story?  Two years ago they were to be released at the end of the year.  I Google "DPA 4080" and get nothing.  Who's got 'em in their basement and is not sharing???      8)
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline Tim

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2007, 04:36:08 AM »
good news, no doubt about it, but I personally wish they would spend their r&d dollars on a pair of hypercardoid caps, that would be of substantial interest to me, maybe something like the 4023 with lemo connectors so we could own both card and hypercard caps and use the same active cables

I thought that DPA has stated that they won't make a hyper because of the inherent coloration of the pattern
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2007, 08:55:25 AM »
So, OK, what's the story?  Two years ago they were to be released at the end of the year.  I Google "DPA 4080" and get nothing.  Who's got 'em in their basement and is not sharing???      8)

Two years ago they released a cardioid for head-worn, inch-from-the-mouth use, very fast bass roll-off, not suitable for concert taping.  The 4080 is coming at the end of this year, I'm not surprised there is nothing to google yet.

Jeff

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2007, 10:14:32 AM »

I thought that DPA has stated that they won't make a hyper because of the inherent coloration of the pattern

yep, exactly.  they said that a microphone that is as directional as a hypercard goes against their goal, which is natural, transparent sounding microphones

Offline BC

• Bongo Bongo
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2007, 11:37:57 AM »

yep, exactly.  they said that a microphone that is as directional as a hypercard goes against their goal, which is natural, transparent sounding microphones

For those that do not share this goal, I heard of a brand called Schoeps that will fit your needs.   ;)     ;D 
In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.126 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com