Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Blumlein matrixed?  (Read 4067 times)

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
Blumlein matrixed?
« on: October 18, 2007, 03:31:27 PM »
Has anyone tried recording Blumlein with one capsule pointed straight forward and the other to the side, then mixing them (X+Y) to get the left facing figure-8 and (X-Y) for the right?  This is the way Josephson suggested to me for their C700 stereo mic, theoretically looks right but does anyone have any experience with how it sounds?

Jeff

Offline boojum

• Needs to get out more...
Re: Blumlein matrixed?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 03:40:32 PM »
Jeff - sounds like a M/S decoding.  What about the back lobe of the X?  Is that just ignored??
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 03:53:51 PM »
check out this thread:
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,66414.0.html

basically, if you run M/S with a Fig-8 mic for both the mid and side, when you decode the Mid-Side signals to left-right signals, you get the equivalent of Blumlein.  by changing the amount of each signal, you can essentially change the "rotation" of the blumlein config.

Offline Tim

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 06:42:33 PM »
check out this thread:

basically, if you run M/S with a Fig-8 mic for both the mid and side, when you decode the Mid-Side signals to left-right signals, you get the equivalent of Blumlein.  by changing the amount of each signal, you can essentially change the "rotation" of the blumlein config.

thanks Jason
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2007, 12:16:07 AM »
check out this thread:

I understand that, my question is really about how it sounds, given that the Side figure-8 will be severely off-axis.  When I do "normal" Blumlein, each cap is 45 degrees off-axis for sound coming from dead center, this method will have the front facing figure-8 directly on axis for such sound.  If I were recording just two instruments, and the "normal" Blumlein figure-8s were pointed at each one so that one is in the left channel and one in the right, they would each be on-axis; with this setup each instrument will be 45 degrees off-axis for each cap.  I can't believe it sounds exactly the same.

Jeff

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2007, 02:09:06 PM »
.. my question is really about how it sounds, given that the Side figure-8 will be severely off-axis.  When I do "normal" Blumlein, each cap is 45 degrees off-axis for sound coming from dead center, this method will have the front facing figure-8 directly on axis for such sound.  If I were recording just two instruments, and the "normal" Blumlein figure-8s were pointed at each one so that one is in the left channel and one in the right, they would each be on-axis; with this setup each instrument will be 45 degrees off-axis for each cap.  I can't believe it sounds exactly the same..

I've wondered this as well.  Mathematically, Blumlein and M/S with two fig8's is equivalent.  You could send a Blumlein recording though a M/S encode/decode chain and adjust width just like the M/S recording. 

This would be interesting and simple to test. Tape one set in Blumlein, rotate rig 45deg clockwise at set-break, Tape second set M/S.  Matrix the second set with equal weighting and compare.  If the mics are set up truly coincident, the only difference is the quality of your summing when setting up the matrix (pretty much a non-issue when done digitally), the and the on/off axis observation you mention. 

Most multi-pattern mics have more accurate off-axis response in fig-8 than other directional patterns, so the 'on/off-axis' difference you'd be comparing in the test may not be as significant as comparing a more typical M/S recording using a cardioid mid (dematrixed with equal 50% weighting) with the equivalent X/Y configuration of hyper/supercardioid-ish patterns set at a 120 degree recording angle.  But there is no way to really set up that comparison accurately.  ;)
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2007, 02:35:20 PM »
Found this but haven't had time to read it.  Skimmed though and found some plots of 'real world' derived M/S patterns that are much more ragged looking than the idealized M/S plots normally seen.  Don't know if this thesis paper addresses your 'on/off axis' question directly or not.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline boojum

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2007, 05:12:58 PM »
Found this but haven't had time to read it.  Skimmed though and found some plots of 'real world' derived M/S patterns that are much more ragged looking than the idealized M/S plots normally seen.  Don't know if this thesis paper addresses your 'on/off axis' question directly or not.

Insanely great find, GB.  I will read it when I get finished doing some post work.  Thanks for finding it.

Cheers
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline John Willett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2007, 11:53:20 AM »
Has anyone tried recording Blumlein with one capsule pointed straight forward and the other to the side, then mixing them (X+Y) to get the left facing figure-8 and (X-Y) for the right? 

This is exactly how Blumlein did it.

Two fig-8s in an MS configuration.

Matrixed to stereo gives the equivalent of crossed fig-8s - but easy to adjust the stereo width.  ;D

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2007, 12:30:11 PM »
Whacky blumlein question that has been bugging me so I need to ask...  What if you ran two blumlein mic setups and split them like omnis?   Each pair of figure 8's would need to be mixed down to a single channel. 

Would the result be more or less split omnis? (I know the bass response would be lacking compared to omnis).

Offline boyacrobat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2007, 11:24:17 PM »
nice work

g

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2007, 10:50:49 AM »

Matrixed to stereo gives the equivalent of crossed fig-8s - but easy to adjust the stereo width.  ;D

Never would've thought of this on my own, but now that I know it's doable (and I've been running M-S more and more frequently), it makes perfect sense.  I'm going to try this next opportunity I have that's suitable for Blumlein.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2007, 10:56:16 AM »

Never would've thought of this on my own, but now that I know it's doable (and I've been running M-S more and more frequently), it makes perfect sense.  I'm going to try this next opportunity I have that's suitable for Blumlein.

me, too. it looks like a fabulous idea.

+t
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2007, 11:45:17 AM »
Freelunch, no--if you mix together the two microphone signals from a Blumlein pair, what you get is about equivalent to the signal from a single, forward-facing figure-8 microphone. But it's not as clean, since phase conflicts result at high frequencies from the actual impossibility of placing two microphones at the same exact point in space. ("Coincident" placement is possible in only one spatial dimension at a time at best.)

Thus you will end up with about the same as a spaced pair of single figure-8s--and from experiment, I can tell you that that isn't a particularly useful setup when the microphones are more than short distance apart, since the lobes of a figure-8 are so narrow.

--best regards
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2007, 12:02:06 PM »
Thanks Dave..  Didn't think it would be useful but I was curious..

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.121 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com