Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: battery stuck in sd mp-2 battery tube  (Read 3879 times)

Offline M

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
battery stuck in sd mp-2 battery tube
« on: March 21, 2008, 09:04:16 PM »
So I guess i have a thick battery and it wont come out of the tube.

I put the pre in the fridge hoping that the metal battery will shrink more than the plasitc tube....so far thats not working well enough.

Anybody had this problem before?  Anyone have any ideas on how to get the sucker out.

Thanks,

Michael
Beyer CK930>Naiant TB>M10

stirinthesauce

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: battery stuck in sd mp-2 battery tube
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 09:24:38 PM »
slap it against your hand.  The box is built like a tank, it won't hurt it.  Open end down, slap against palm of hand with force.  Or, angle down and slap it like you would ketchup to get it to come out.

Offline drewloo

• Friend of Salsa
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • it's recreational
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 09:55:07 PM »
slap it against your hand.  The box is built like a tank, it won't hurt it.  Open end down, slap against palm of hand with force.  Or, angle down and slap it like you would ketchup to get it to come out.

Either that or do the superglue trick.  Get a small rod, like a pen, and put a few dabs on the end, let it make contact w/ the battery (and only the battery) for several seconds and then it should come right out.

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 10:02:46 PM »

I put the pre in the fridge hoping that the metal battery will shrink more than the plasitc tube....so far thats not working well enough.

Anybody had this problem before?  Anyone have any ideas on how to get the sucker out.

Thanks,

Michael

What type of battery is it? it could have expanded.. I have seen some cells go bad and "blow up" inside a device.. Like a flashlight.. all batteries vent gas as they are being used.. Its a good idea in any device that has a sealed chamber to store it with out batteries inside it. Because if the battery's gas's are not allowed to escape they can actually build up inside the cell it self and expand. Making it impossible to get the old battery out of the device.

for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 02:25:37 AM »

Thanks,

Michael

Hi yes I have had this problem and emailed SD about it. Infact the first pair of batteries I ever loaded into the unit :(

The problem with your approach is the battery tube is likey to shrink more than the battery.

The battery tube narrows about 1 inch from the top (if you can get your little finger in you can feel it). This ridge caused by the change in diameter seems to catch some batteries that are a bit over-size.

I simply pushed the battery back into the tube as far as it would go, then quickly flicked the unit over (upsidown) and have it a jerk so the battery was flung out of the tube toward the floor. It took about 10 attempts but it eventually came out. I was doing this vertically so that (I hoped) on an attempt the battery would be centered on the hole and the momentum help to get past the friction. And it did.

It's a stupid design flaw. They need to make the narrow section about 1 mm wider, the batteries are under spring compression so it's not like they would slop about.

digifish,
« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 02:28:19 AM by digifish_music »
- What's this knob do?

Offline M

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2008, 10:07:00 AM »
It is a duracell nimh battery....just wanted to see if i could get it to work.

I put in quite a bit of time now and not really any progress.  I think may have to send the unit to sd.

What did sd say,  just to do what you can and if that isn't good enough to send it in?

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2008, 10:41:23 AM »
It is a duracell nimh battery....just wanted to see if i could get it to work.

I put in quite a bit of time now and not really any progress.  I think may have to send the unit to sd.

What did sd say,  just to do what you can and if that isn't good enough to send it in?

Send it to me I can fix it for you for $20 + the cost of return shipping.

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline M

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2008, 08:56:08 AM »
So after a long struggle I got the little mofo out and as an added bonus the pre still works! 

What a pita!

Thanks for the help,

Offline drewloo

• Friend of Salsa
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • it's recreational
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2008, 04:01:14 PM »
So after a long struggle I got the little mofo out and as an added bonus the pre still works! 

What a pita!

Thanks for the help,

Good news!  FWIW, the only batteries I have ever had get stuck in an mp-2 were ones that I had dropped onto a hard floor and caused the batteries to deform just a tad.  Now, if I drop a battery I put a little mark on it to make sure I don't use it unless I have to.

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2008, 12:32:44 AM »

What a pita!

Thanks for the help,

Mine was a Energizer NiMH. I think the diameter specs on these batteries can be a bit off...and or they expand after manufacture?

How did you get it out?

SD said I would have to dismantle the unit to get the battery out if one became stuck. Silly design in what is an otherwise bullet-proof field preamp.

digifish
- What's this knob do?

Offline M

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2008, 11:59:06 AM »
I think the fridge did make it mover easier.   I hit it against the floor to get the battery to the end of the tube and then pried it out with a knife from there.

Opening the the box didn't help me get the battery out.  I tried to detach the tube so I could just work with that but it didn't want to move.
I also tried the super glue trick but it was just too stuck for the glue to hold.

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2008, 06:29:51 PM »
I think the fridge did make it mover easier.   I hit it against the floor to get the battery to the end of the tube and then pried it out with a knife from there.

Opening the the box didn't help me get the battery out.  I tried to detach the tube so I could just work with that but it didn't want to move.
I also tried the super glue trick but it was just too stuck for the glue to hold.

Wow! Thanks for the follow-up. Send an email to SD about it, they need to modify the diameter of the tube.

digifish.
- What's this knob do?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com