Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Best Simple Device For Recording a Single Concert?  (Read 5439 times)

Offline GWB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Best Simple Device For Recording a Single Concert?
« on: June 03, 2009, 01:55:18 AM »
Hello All: I'm new and this is my first post.  I know VERY little about recording.

I'm going to a hard rock concert next week and want to record it for my own listening later.   Since recorders likely aren't allowed, it needs to be very small/discreet.  Also, since this is the only concert I'll ever record, it needs to be reasonably priced and simple to use.  I'd like to be able to convert it later (at a video store) to a regular CD to listen in my car.  Although I'll be recording in the crowd, the location will be very near the stage (second or third row).

What are my best options?  Is a decent recording even possible given it'll be concealed?  I need to get it fairly soon (i.e. at local store, not online). 

Thanks for all and any advice!

Offline LEDZEPZOSO

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Best Simple Device For Recording a Single Concert?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 05:05:37 AM »
If you are only going to do one show and with your time restraint you are better off trying to find a taper willing to tape the show for you. Maybe buy a ticket to the show.

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 08:33:01 AM »
From where you are sitting and given that this won't be an ongoing hobby, I agree with Led above. 
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

dorrcoq

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 10:14:29 AM »
Also, since this is the only concert I'll ever record... 

That seems odd...

Offline Belexes

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 11:00:55 AM »

That seems odd...

Famous last words.

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline GWB

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 11:52:43 AM »

That seems odd...

Not sure why this is odd.  As a 48-yr old professional with a family, I haven't been to a concert in 18 years.  But I've always loved listening to Aerosmith while cruising around in my car.  They are coming to St. Louis next week, and I've mustered up a reason to see them by taking my family along for an RV trip.  Heck, I'm even going to meet (briefly) Steven Tyler and Joe Perry as part of an upgraded VIP ticket package.  Since they are around 60 yrs old, this may be the last time I ever get to see them live.  So I wanted to record it.  That's all - no sinister motive here.

Thanks to the first two posters who gave advice.  Unfortunately, I don't know any other tapers to ask, or I would definitely choose that option.  So ruling that out, are there any other decent options?  Do they sell anything that will work at Best Buy, etc.?

Thanks again!

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2009, 12:13:16 PM »
I don't think anyone implied your motives were sinister.  You are reading something into the comments that isn't intended.

I think you are better off posting in the Team Kansasouri thread over in the Team Boards section here (or something like that) to see if (1) it is already covered or (2) if not, try to find a taper willing to do an undercover job.

I think you are looking at a minimum or $300-$400 to get a decent sounding rig.  Can you get something for less? Yes, but it won't sound very good, or at least that is the opinion you are going to get here.

If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline Belexes

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2009, 12:16:50 PM »
Aerosmith in St Louis?

I'd wager that will get taped.  There are tracker websites such as Traders Den, Jam to This, and Dimeadozen which host recordings.  You are in VIP near the front. I'd grab your favorite beverage and enjoy yourself considering you likely forked over an arm & a leg for the package.  Let someone already in the hobby take care of the audio preservation.

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2009, 12:21:42 PM »
Team St. Louis thread - http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,118648.330.html
Team Kansasouri thread - http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,119517.285.html

I think those are the most likely folks to get it covered for you.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline GWB

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2009, 12:26:17 PM »
Aerosmith in St Louis?

I'd wager that will get taped.  There are tracker websites such as Traders Den, Jam to This, and Dimeadozen which host recordings.  You are in VIP near the front. I'd grab your favorite beverage and enjoy yourself considering you likely forked over an arm & a leg for the package.  Let someone already in the hobby take care of the audio preservation.

Thank you!  Sorry to sound dense, but by "host recordings", do you mean that I could possibly get them converted to a CD to listen to later?  If so, that does seem to be my best bet, assuming somebody will be taping that concert.

Offline anodyne33

• You'll have that
  • All my life there's been the magnets.
    • Lucky
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2009, 12:31:09 PM »
Aerosmith in St Louis?

Thank you!  Sorry to sound dense, but by "host recordings", do you mean that I could possibly get them converted to a CD to listen to later?  If so, that does seem to be my best bet, assuming somebody will be taping that concert.

Absolutely. If it gets recorded and shared it will be in a format (mote likely FLAC) that you can easily convert to .wav files to burn to CD.
Pockets full of nickels and nothing left to eat, and I'm stuck behind a semi on Soniat Street.

dorrcoq

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2009, 12:34:18 PM »
I didn't mean to imply anything wrong with your plan, just thought it was odd that you would want to spend that kind of money to tape once.  By the way, I'm 55 and hadn't been to a show in 8 or 9 years until I got my recording gear in June, 2006.  I still don't get out as often as some guys here, but I am to the point where I actively look for stuff to tape, whether that means touring acts, bar shows, or just free concerts in the park.  You do get hooked easily! :D

Offline GWB

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2009, 12:58:01 PM »
Team St. Louis thread - http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,118648.330.html
Team Kansasouri thread - http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,119517.285.html

I think those are the most likely folks to get it covered for you.

Thank you!!!

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2009, 01:55:32 PM »

That seems odd...

Famous last words.

Haha check your wallet at the door.

For real.......I hope it all works out for you.
TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

Offline sunjan

• Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2009, 02:19:02 PM »
I think you are looking at a minimum or $300-$400 to get a decent sounding rig.  Can you get something for less? Yes, but it won't sound very good, or at least that is the opinion you are going to get here.

If I'd answer your question strictly, you could probably pick up a Zoom H2 for $130-150, and get a half-decent pull if you practice at home first.
Another idea would be to work out a loaner, if the local tapers aren't going to the gig, staying at home with their gear.
Or be slick and buy a recorder on trial, with the option of handing it back if you don't get hooked to the hobby :-)

But your best investment would probably be to buy an experienced taper a few beers and get a copy afterwards.
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com