Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: battery packs to power laptop and interface?  (Read 1484 times)

jnorman34

• Trade Count: (0)
battery packs to power laptop and interface?
« on: May 13, 2011, 12:31:48 PM »
i use a laptop based setup - thinkpad t410 and roland octa-capture interface. 
what kind of battery pack would i need at a remote venue to provide 120v AC power for the laptop and interface if normal AC power is unavailable?
thanks.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: battery packs to power laptop and interface?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 01:05:49 PM »
Instead of a bulky and inefficent battery + inverter setup that produces 120VAV only for the laptop's and interface's powersupplies to convert that back to DC again, I'd suggest looking at external laptop batteries that offer several different DV voltage outputs and can also power the interface.

There are many different brands.  Here is one that may work for you http://www.energizerpowerpacks.com/il/products/xp18000/.  It has three outputs which can be used simultaneously: 5V, 9-12V (to power your interface) and 16-20V (to power the laptop).  I use the smaller capacity version as an 5VDC external battery supply for the Tascam DR2d and it works great.  I'm considering using its 9-12VDC port to power my preamps as well but have not gone that far yet.

Going that would let you use a single battery supply and do so much more efficiently than an inverter. It would also make for a much more compact and simiplified rig by eliminating the external AC supplies for both interface and laptop.  You'll need to check to make sure the supply will power your laptop and adapt the cables for correct polarity and plugs for laptop and interface.  Many of the batteries come with a variety of adapters.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline wheresjerry

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Deadicated boater....
    • Music List
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 11:55:36 AM »
Im a firm believer in Battery Geeks batteries.  A fellow taper I know spent 3
$30.00 less the I did, and his is going back and being replaced by a battery geek power pack...at $250.00 money is well spent  They have many to choose from based on your need, and they will do a battery audit for you to give you the best choice.
Neumann. KM184>zoom f8,  pax 2 vaporizor, AlienEars, Neumann KM184,AKG 390 bodies w/ ck91and ck93 caps, Rode NT-4 ,  SP-CMC-25>battery box>Oade concert mod pmd 620......  and lot's a stuff....playback Yamaha rx-v 663,LG BD590, bose accumass 5 speakers, ears and AKG 701's....
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/wheresjerry

Offline Walstib62

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 11:30:09 AM »
What I will do is have a dedicated pack for my interface. I will then have another external pack for the laptop, and a spare laptop pack so that I can hot swap the pack for the laptop. That should easily get me 8 hrs. runtime for the rig.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.039 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com